What's new

Sources for very traditional men's clothing

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I found a poll elsewhere on the site that indicates most of us are young or youngish but a few of us are in our geezer phase. As a full fledged old guy I have a preference for pretty traditional clothing, the stuff that is never in style, is amazingly comfortable, mainly or exclusively made in the USA (UK for woolens), and wears forever, the qualities which will make me pay what seem like exorbitant prices but on a per wearing basis are actually very reasonable. You know what I mean: all cotton khakis, cords, OCBDs, wool sox and sweaters, and sack jackets. I gave up on Brooks Brothers decades ago, am pretty much over J. Press, could never afford Cable Car Clothiers or Ben Silver, and really like O'Connell's (stellar online presence and also great on the phone) and Hunter and Coggins (website is out of date, but they are great on the phone). I recently discovered great deals at the Andover Shop when they had a sale. Got any other good sources? Bonus points if they have a good online presence and more bonus points for good sales!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
stuff that is never in style, is amazingly comfortable, mainly or exclusively made in the USA (UK for woolens), and wears forever, the qualities which will make me pay what seem like exorbitant prices but on a per wearing basis are actually very reasonable.

I don’t know if you would consider expanding your purchasing to Australia but I have been having good luck with RM Williams. Not all their items are made in Aussie. However, their jeans and pants are and I find them to be very good. They do a range of trousers, mole skins and five-pocket pants for under US$200

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I don’t know if you would consider expanding your purchasing to Australia but I have been having good luck with RM Williams. Not all their items are made in Aussie. However, their jeans and pants are and I find them to be very good. They do a range of trousers, mole skins and five-pocket pants for under US$200
Awesome! I am looking them up!

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
There's always Cordings for reasonably priced, traditional English country clothing. Best selection of tattersall shirts on the planet (at least in my limited experience).

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
There's always Cordings for reasonably priced, traditional English country clothing. Best selection of tattersall shirts on the planet (at least in my limited experience).
You must be an habitue of Salt Water New England.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
R M Williams are more expensive now days. Prices have gone up a lot over the last decade. They have gone down the high end retail path, much of the product has gone off shore. A friend ordered a pair of boots from one of their premier stores. It turned into a nightmare after being messed around for months the boots were not made despite many trips to their store and being assured they would be ready in a week every time they went into the store.
Talking to other I know some have had a number of similar issues.
It is not the company that many of us knew and loved.

You’ll love the Scottish traditional clothes and outfits

proxy.php

Just show’em your hairy legs and they’ll never bothered you and you’ll have peace, freedom for the rest of your life.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
R M Williams are more expensive now days. Prices have gone up a lot over the last decade. They have gone down the high end retail path, much of the product has gone off shore. A friend ordered a pair of boots from one of their premier stores. It turned into a nightmare after being messed around for months the boots were not made despite many trips to their store and being assured they would be ready in a week every time they went into the store.
I like MiUSA khakis for around $100 on sale or $125 not on sale from O'Connell's or Andover. I have yet to find a decent MiUSA five pocket cord so for now LL Bean is it. Nice stuff at good prices.

I’m sorry to hear that - I can’t say my experience with them has been bad but I have noticed more things are now made outside of Australia. Maybe the retail location you went to was not particularly on the ball?

I think this may the hardest part to meet, especially at a reasonable price.

That said, this shop in Greensboro, NC carriers several brands that might meet your style and quality requirements.

I buy Berle trousers from them and those are made in Mexico.

I think the Ballin ones are made in Canada.
I can't believe The Hub is still around. Younts-Deboe and Bernard Shepard went away long ago. The Hospice thrift store in Burlington is a gold mine.
I went to visit our aunt and her son had an outbuilding full of quality clothing from a guy in the neighborhood. We were the exact same size so now I have nice clothes to not wear to work.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
You’ll love the Scottish traditional clothes and outfits

proxy.php

Just show’em your hairy legs and they’ll never bothered you and you’ll have peace, freedom for the rest of your life.
There's so much wrong with that pic, there's little doubt the closest they ever came to Scotland was a whisky served to them by a bartender named Pete. :lol1:

My favorite one is Canali. Their designers pay attention to even the smallest invisible details, which is why the brand's classic suit is the standard of sophistication and good taste. The lines are mainly represented by models of dark shades. For summer collections, they offer light suits with a variety of prints. I can't imagine buying clothing from cheap brands. This goes for my girlfriend too. She is crazy about kawaii clothes, so I try to get her the industry's best offer. In recent times, I have also paid attention to Harris Tweed.

Top Bottom