What's new

Participation PIF - The Unobtainium Polsilver Super Stainless

proxy.php

First shave with the Polsilver Stainless (Vintage) blade #2

Razor
: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS)
Brush: Yaqi Purple 24mm Mink
Soap: RazoRock Black Label

Only a so-so shave, but I know that the best is yet to come.

The FOS/Polsilver Stainless duo delivered only an average shave, today, on the first use of this second blade. The WTG pass was smooth and comfortable, but both the ATG and XTG passes were mildly tuggy. Unlike any of my shaves with the first blade, my face is actually kind of sensitive, right now.

All of this may seem like a problem, but I'm not discouraged, at all, because I know that this blade will come around once the coating wears down.

Speaking of coatings, a fair amount of the wax adhesive had oozed over the edges of the blade. This is the same issue that affected the first blade. As before, I scraped the wax off with my thumbnail, then polished the faces with a bit of toilet tissue. This should not be an issue going forward.

p.s. Once again, a big thumbs up goes out to @Grundi and @Space_Cadet for organizing this Participation PIF for us. :thumbup:

Oddball side note: If all goes well, these five blades will last for more than eight months of shaves. Now that's what I call a great value for money! 😜 😁 )

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Speaking of coatings, a fair amount of the wax adhesive had oozed over the edges of the blade. This is the same issue that affected the first blade. As before, I scraped the wax off with my thumbnail, then polished the faces with a bit of toilet tissue. This should not be an issue going forward.

I have been using a cork to remove the wax that oozed over the edge. Corking a blade is never a bad thing in my opinion anyway, so no harm no foul. And if anything, it can help remove the coating a little faster. And remove any slight imperfections on the blade edge.

Hi gents,

Hope you all doing great!

I am sharing with you my very first experience with these blades today. Thanks again to Space Cadet and Grundig for providing these gems . I'll try to keep this thread updated with every shave. I likely won't have the time to write long and detailed review like some here because I simply don't have the time to do it (except for this one I have 3 days off). I used to shave every single day, but it's not the case anymore for the time being.

For the first shave I used my newly acquired Blackland Blackbird in titanium. I had around 4 days of growth. The first used of it reminded me of Feathers and Kai, which are my favorite blades, as it was a tiny bit harsh but far from uncomfortable. I was amazed at how sharp they are. I mean SHARP! I adjusted my technique along the way with how the blade was communicating with me.

I used the alum block and I had very little stinging. It was almost a perfect shave. I also noticed how the ATG was a bit smoother then with others blades as it was easier to cut the remaining whiskers.

Based on my first use ot them, I think I will really like them a lot. We'll see how many shaves I'll get.

As I am trying these new blades, I'll also try a new thing I haven't really tried fully in the past. I'm talking about palm stropping. Of course, if I want to really know if it works for me or not, I would need to use a blade without palm stropping and another one with it.

That's enough for my first review. I'll update my thoughts on them as the shave progress.

Have a nice one gents!

Regards,

Attachments

• 20210904_151146.jpg
    20210904_151146.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 8
proxy.php

Second shave with the Polsilver Stainless (Vintage) blade #2

Razor
Brush: Maggard 18mm Timber Wolf, Travel-Size
Soap: Tabac Shaving Soap (Non-Tallow)

As expected, a much better outing, today.

In fact, I enjoyed a lovely "autopilot" shave that required only a minimum of effort. All three passes were remarkably quick and the efficiency was out of this world. My face is perfectly smooth, so no buffing was needed. Unlike yesterday, there was no post-shave irritation.

This is exactly how the first blade started out. It's early days, but I predict that this second blade will deliver the same sort of consistency that the first blade displayed.

20210904_184928-01-01.jpeg
SOTD #225/2021
06-09-2021

>> Stirling Soaptember<<

Preshave: shower, frigid tap water
Brush: Shavemac custom Silvertip badger bulb 26/52 on Thäter handle Imperial Red
Soap: Stirling Soap ~ Orange Chill
Razor: Above The Tie OC H2-plate
Blade: vintage Polsilver (2)
Post shave: frigid tap water, Stirling Soap ~ Orange Chill AS, witch hazel and psb
Fragrance: POLO Red EdT

Blade 4 - Shave 2

TLDR: what a great blade the Polsilver Stainless is if paired with an aggressive razor!

Greetings,
I finished my next attemp to tame down a beast. As you might be aware ATT's H2 open comb plate is both aggressive and very efficient. According to my still emerging experience with this plate the plate requires a very gentle touch and if your technique isn't on par she will let you know without further warning 😉 . The amount of blade feel is not for the faint hearted, maybe by a hair less intense than the one Mühle's R41 provides. Doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun, does it?

However, today's attempt worked out absolutely fine. And the shave provided fun, too. The combo still needs a light touch but the Polsilver felt just great on my face and smoothed out the aggressiveness of the head.

3 passes on the face, 2 passes and a little bit of touchup buffing on the neck resulted in a flawless shave without traces of blood. BBS.

Within the initial 5-7 outings this blade manages to tame down the most "scary" razor heads in my den (in a meaning of "those heads, who need to be used with the utmost respect to not get cut"). The vintage Polsilver works fine with the ATT H2, Yaqi Open Comb Slant, my mean copy of Parker 87R - holy smoke - and all of my beloved R41 copies.). Ymmv of course, but I hope it doesn't.

Further outings (shave 7+) should be dedicated to medium aggressive razors only, due to loss of sharpness of the blade, however, the sharpness of the Polsilver fades stunningly slow and in a very predictable way...

Thanks again @Grundi and @Space_Cadet for organizing this exiting PIF event and letting me find a blade of the category "one blade to rule them all"!

Happy shaves, y'all!

IMG_20210904_094050.jpg

Shave #6 karve with plate D. Was not as close as with plate C a few days prior. Still very smooth and efficent.

IMG_20210905_085439.jpg

Shave #7 on blade 1 with the Rex Ambassador set to 4. So smooth. The Polsilver is great in everything I have tried it in. I missed the pif and it took a long time to get my blades. My usual blade is the wizamet super iridium. The first blade I ever bought in bulk. These stainless blades are every bit as good as the super iridium blades. I don't try to push my blades, but, I don't change them out every shave. At seven shaves that were smooth and efficient and not showing any signs of dropping off. I don't know if I can get fifty out of a blade, but, there are certainly a lot more shaves in it.

I'm back to the vintage Polsilver Stainless (blade #2) after taking a time out to test a couple of injectors I bought.
Associated gear:
WSC/YPM Winning razor
Jayaruh #401 Synthetic brush
Simpson Trafalgar T2 Synthetic brush
Dr. Jon's Classic soap
Thayer's Toner WH
Nivea Men ASB

Shaves #2 & 3 with this blade. I didn't quite manage to get to BBS on either day. DFS in a medium sized Milk-Bone shaped area across the apple; BBS everywhere else. That's with my usual three passes plus a little clean-up buffing.
No nicks weepers or post-shave irritation.

I'm back to the vintage Polsilver Stainless (blade #2) after taking a time out to test a couple of injectors I bought.
Associated gear:
WSC/YPM Winning razor
Jayaruh #401 Synthetic brush
Simpson Trafalgar T2 Synthetic brush
Dr. Jon's Classic soap
Thayer's Toner WH
Nivea Men ASB

Shaves #2 & 3 with this blade. I didn't quite manage to get to BBS on either day. DFS in a medium sized Milk-Bone shaped area across the apple; BBS everywhere else. That's with my usual three passes plus a little clean-up buffing.
No nicks weepers or post-shave irritation.

proxy.php

Third shave with the Polsilver Stainless (Vintage) blade #2

Razor
Brush: Yaqi Black Marble 24mm Silvertip Badger
Soap: RazoRock Green Label

Another excellent performance from the FOCS/Polsilver duo.

All three of my routine passes were very smooth. There was no sign of tugging in my usual trouble spot at the transition point between my left jawline and cheek. The XTG pass was particularly trouble-free. It was slightly tuggy on the first use of this blade but, this time, it was clear sailing. There was no post-shave irritation.

I expect that this will be the norm for many more shaves (although i don't plan on pushing this blade as far as the first blade).

On a side note, I was extremely pleased with the performance of the Yaqi Black Marble Silvertip/RR Green Label pairing. I managed to generate a great lather with little effort; very dense and slick. The clean, crisp woodsy scent is the perfect match for a warm Summer day.

5E088EA6-6C11-4117-9870-2F592072822F.jpeg

Blade 4 Shave 16
Pre: Proraso white
Brush: Craving Shaving boss synth
Lather: MdC Original (sample)
Razor: R41 w/RR barber pole handle

DFS shave today with the vintage Polsilver and R41/RR combo. Decent shave, just took some effort to get there.

And thus concludes the participation portion of this amazingly generous PIF for me. I found that this blade worked best in vintage razors using a heavier RazoRock handle like the Gillette old type, but especially in the pre war Canadian tech. I got some good shaves with this combo and found the blade to be very smooth and forgiving, but somewhat lacking when it came to sharpness.
I had a ton of fun watching everyone’s progress, especially @Demolition who took it to another level. Thank you so much to @Grundi and @Space_Cadet for letting me participate in all the fun. Happy shaves everyone!

A couple nights ago, I had shave #14 with blade #2 of the Polisilver Stainless Steel blades. The blade was held in place with a Fendrihan Kingston razor head on a West Coast Shaving 79BR handle.

I used Proraso Blue cream for the first time in about a month. The menthol didn't feel as strong this time (I'm wondering if the oils are losing potency). That daid, I had a great shave.

I showered with cold water and also used cold water to soak my new Semogue Owners Club cherry wood handle finest badger brush. Additionally, I soaked a ring of Proraso Blue in my Captain's Choice Seaworthy bowl before the shave (I dumped the soapy water into an empty cup and applied a little of the soapy water to my face before each lather pass).

I've had good lather with Proraso in the past, but my new SOC, I somehow wound up with more cushion than in the past. It was to the point that didn't feel the blade on my face. I'm not sure if I just got lucky with my lather this time or if the change in brushes made a difference. If the latter, then that's a heck of a $29 purchase!

In any case, I did my usual two pass (WTG and ATG) shave and buffed my trouble areas. Afterward, I cleaned up with my usual alum block pass before washing it off and applying aftershave splash (Aqua Velva Ice Blue) and aftershave balm (Duke Cannon Ice Cold).

My shave was fantastic! As with my ladt shave, I barely felt any feedback when I applied my alum block post-shave. When I splashed on some Aqua Velva Ice Blue and again when I rubbed in some Duke Cannon Ice aftershave balm, I was able to enjoy the pleasant menthol coolness on a hot summer night without any other irritation.

That said, my previous shave may have been a little closer than this last one. I felt more stubble 24 hours after this past shave than I did 24 hours after my previous shave.

All in all, I would give this shave a 98/100.

20210906_155004-01.jpeg
SOTD #226/2021
07-09-2021

>> Tallow Tabac Tuesday<<

Brush: Omega 10108 Boar
Soap: Mäurer and Wirtz ~ Tabac
Razor: Gillette Super Speed Red Tip
Blade: vintage Polsilver (3)
Post shave: frigid tap water, Stirling Soap ~ Orange Chill AS, witch hazel and psb.
Fragrance: POLO Red EdT

Another stunningly smooth and close shave with the excellent Polsilver Stainless. Enjoyed the tallow based Tabac quite a bit, too. It plain and simple performs.
3 passes. No touchups, no irritation, no drama - just BBS.

I closed the shave with Stirling's Orange Chill post shave products (AS, witch hazel and psb). I know this appears olfactory-wise odd, but the orange driven scent of OC works nicely with Tabac's scent imo.

Happy shaves, y'all!

Shave 8 blade #1
Prep: Cool water shower and King C. Gillette beard and face wash.
Preshave: A&E slick stick
Razor: Rex Ambassador setting 3.5
Brush: 2019 Rudy Vey B&B LE Manchurian
Bowl: Timeless lather bowl
Soap and Splash: A&E Monte Carlo
Post: Cold water rinse, alum block allowed to dry, Thayer's witch hazel astringent, followed by instaskincare hyaluronic acid, Nivea Balm, splash.

Three passes WTG, XTG, ATG, plus touch up on my neck, jawline, chine, and, soul patch. Shave number 8 was just as smooth as the first. I stepped back the Rex to 3.5 since I shaved yesterday. I think I want to experiment with higher settings. That said my results today were damn near BBS. I feel the lightest of stubble on my trouble spots, but very very close. Such a close comfortable shave. Everything was just right today.

proxy.php

Fourth shave with the Polsilver Stainless (Vintage) blade #2

Razor
Brush: Simpson Special S1 Best Badger
Soap: Tabac Shaving Soap Stick (Tallow)

An oddly unsatisfying shave, today.

Although my three routine passes were smooth and close, there was an uncharacteristic increase in blade-feel. This lowered the comfort level slightly and made me pay a lot more attention to what I was doing. It wasn't stressful, but it wasn't relaxing, either.

In the end, I didn't notice any post-shave irritation, but my face does feel a bit more sensitive than usual.

With any luck, this is just an anomaly and I'll soon enjoy a return to the quality and consistency that I've come to expect from the Polsilver Stainless.

First Shave With Unobtanium Vintage Polsilver Stainless Blade #3

Razor:
Gillette Super Adjustable “Black Beauty”
Blade: Polsilver Stainless (1)
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper (Heavyweight)
Brush: Chisel and Hound “Cenote” with 26mm Shavemac D01 2-Band Silvertip (Bulb)
Soap and Aftershave: Dr Jon’s Hydra

I took a little break from the Polsilver to try a few other blades. I had previously used it in my Timeless .68 and .95, it worked well but I found it left me wanting a little more in efficiency.

Since the Polsilver Stainless is such a forgiving blade, I decided it would be a great choice to see what the Black Beauty I recently got, was like when you open it up all the way and if it would make a difference with the Polsilver’s efficiency. Plus, I finally got a vintage razor, might as well try a vintage blade in it.

I did the WTG and XTG passes on setting 9 (most aggressive) and it mowed down the hair with ease, leaving very minimal stubble behind. I did the ATG pass on 7, it removed the remaining stubble with no issues. The Black Beauty on its aggressive settings and the Polsilver were a perfect pair, this was the best the Polsilver has performed for me. I got BBS with no cuts, weepers or irritation and minor feedback with the alum and aftershave. I’m excited for the next few shaves with this combo.

152DF1F1-32FF-4883-B7EC-5F91ECBC3C93.jpeg

20210904_115009-01-01-01-01.jpeg
SOTD #227/2021
08-09-2021

>> Stirling Soaptember<<

Brush: Stirling Soap Finest Badger
Soap: Stirling Soap ~ Lemon Chill
Razor: Merkur Progress
Blade: vintage Polsilver (4)
Post shave: frigid tap water, Stirling Soap ~ Orange Chill AS and psb.

Blade 4 - Shave 4

Nothing to report today. 3 uneventful but highly enjoyable passes , results are very close to BBS. Onward to shave no. 5.

Happy shaves, y'all!

IMG_20210908_081752.jpg

Shave #9 on blade 1

Preshave: Tube 2.0
Brush: FS it's got to be bigger than 26mm Manchurian
Bowl: Timeless plastic lather bowl
Soap & Splash: Lavendar Pour Homme
Razor: Rex Ambassador setting five
Blade: Polsilver Stainless (9)
Post: Cold water rinse, alum block, witch hazel, hyaluronic acid, Nivea sensitive balm, Splash.

The shave was comfortable and a BBS result, but, I ended up with some irritation post shave. It feels over done and no wonder I did a five pass shave. One WTG, one XTG in both directions, and two ATG. The fault lies entirely on me. And during the shave even on setting five this was a smooth efficient combination.

Top Bottom