What's new

Favorite MdC Scent

Favorite MdC Scent

• Total voters

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I have Original and I hope the fragrance grows on me. I’m certainly not drawn to it right now, very distinct and certainly different from some of my other favourites when just taking in the puck. As expected things mellow out during the shave, but there is a heaviness attached. Coming into the shave den later the scent seemed more fresh which is encouraging. Time will tell.

I only have Argumes & Fougere, after reading these comments Original may be my next purchase.

1) Fougere
2) Argumes

We will wait and see on Original

Doug

Though choice got the Original & Fougere and like them both perhaps it's more easy to find a matching aftershave with the original since it's scent profile is mostly lavender based

Asking my opinion on Rose scents is like me asking my mom her thoughts on different Mexican foods. She doesn't like any Mexican foods, so it's all bad to her (salt and pepper are her spice rack).

Or, what is your favorite hair metal band? :a5:

I like the Rose the best compared to Fougere, Vetyver, and Agrumes, but I'd be OK with any. The Rose has a nice dankness to it....not perfumey. I'd like to try the other two, but suspect I'd prefer the Natural.

M

member 131028

Rose arrived today from Maggards along with some Rose of Phrygia EDT. I like the dankness of the soap mentioned above. Scent wise, not a match with the EDT.

(Wild) Rose - masculine, subtle, linear, perfect. It will complement ANY aftershave. It is outstanding.

Here's my favorite combo with TOBS Bay Rum:

1630159316678.png

MdC soaps are really nice quality and great value, given that they appear to be everlasting. I have all the scented ones apart from Fougère. Rose is easily my favourite - it’s soft, pleasant and natural, and it will not clash with any aftershave. It might be my favourite shaving soap, or perhaps second to Acqua di Parma shaving cream.

Original and Vetyver are both very good indeed, but they lean a little closer to cologne scents than the rose, and I prefer rose’s simplicity.

Agrumes is the one I liked least - it’s mostly lemon and that is not really a scent I like for my face - it would be nice for a shower gel.

I am keen to try the Fougère. I like my shaving soaps/creams to have simple, pleasant, unintrusive scents, and I dislike cologne-type scents. I don’t know if this will suit me or not - any views on this?

Last edited:
My vote was for the Original because it is the only scent I have tried. My choice to try Original for my first MdC soap was partially based on this at least at one time being the standard bearer for the brand. Also I was able to purchase it in the 130 g La Canelle bowl. From the first use, I knew this soap was special. I find the lavender not overbearing and the rosemary adds a nice spice. The mint does not stand out for me and just stays in the background.

Scents are completely personal preference but the soap is outstanding. I started the initial 130 g bowl in March and have used it over 120 times or most of my home shaves. I expect to get at least another 100 shaves from this bowl and then I will start my newly purchased Brain Bowl. The Brain Bowl is available in all scents, but I’m happy with the Original.

The poll is currently a dead heat with only Le Nature and Vétyver trailing behind the pack. I should have known that the standard B&B advise would be to get them all!

My current 50g Original is a solid hit and thanks to you boys I now have 50g pots of Fougère, Agrumes and Vétyver on the way. That’s the equivalent of one full jar in a variety pack. A bit more expensive but with how long this soap lasts I really don’t need a kilo of MdC in the den. Leaving out Rose was a tough call. I’m not a huge Rose or floral fan as it is and I didn’t see enough here to persuade me that this would be an exception to that. Vétyver didn’t get much love but seeing as it’s an ingredient in almost all of my EdP’s I think it should be easy to pair even if it isn’t a stand out scent on its own.

I’m looking forward to getting my hands on the remaining tubs. Once you dial it in, with lots of water, this is an outstanding soap.

It might be my favourite shaving soap, or perhaps second to Acqua di Parma shaving cream.
[/QUOTE]
This becoming my view too. Both of these soaps are very agreeable to my skin. MdC of course has a much lower running cost. The lack of menthol also makes it a better year round option for me. I’m thinking that Agrumes my pair well with with the AdP balm and EdT in warm weather.

The poll is currently a dead heat with only Le Nature and Vétyver trailing behind the pack. I should have known that the standard B&B advise would be to get them all!

My current 50g Original is a solid hit and thanks to you boys I now have 50g pots of Fougère, Agrumes and Vétyver on the way. That’s the equivalent of one full jar in a variety pack. A bit more expensive but with how long this soap lasts I really don’t need a kilo of MdC in the den. Leaving out Rose was a tough call. I’m not a huge Rose or floral fan as it is and I didn’t see enough here to persuade me that this would be an exception to that. Vétyver didn’t get much love but seeing as it’s an ingredient in almost all of my EdP’s I think it should be easy to pair even if it isn’t a stand out scent on its own.

I’m looking forward to getting my hands on the remaining tubs. Once you dial it in, with lots of water, this is an outstanding soap.
Okay, not to over argue things, that Rose is the “date night” MDC, just saying.

This could have easily been a poll I posted. I was thinking of posting it a few weeks ago. :)

I have tried all scents except Rose. I have had jars of Fougere (sold), Agrumes (sold), Unscented (used 1), Original (used 2), Vetyver (currently in use). My favorite is Vetyver, hands down. It's almost incense-like.

An interesting tidbit -- the only scents without benzoin are Vetyver and Agrumes.

I got the Fougère today and had a shave, so I’ve used them all except the unscented one now. Fougère is very nice - I’d say it smells like the very best sort of grandmother. I still rate Rose first but Fougère would be second with Vetyver a close third and Original fourth. Agrumes is last for me by some distance but all the others I would recommend in a heartbeat.

Top Bottom