What's new

The Codger Cabin

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

40-12.1.jpg

From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

View attachment 1318601
I've never been to the Acoma site. Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Taos, numerous times; Carlsbad once, and I drove across the NE corner of NM when I moved back to Da Swamp from CO in '01. Does the state even allow you to climb to the top of Acoma?

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

Kentucky Club. A later-introduced player during the golden era that is no longer with us. Never quite as big a seller as PA or SWR, it was still a reasonably popular blend back in the day. And a solid Burley. We’ll see a good bit of this one at the coffee table, but generally reserved to B&W quarter box placements.

41-1-18.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

It’s from 1941 ... it’s got a pipe in it ... he eats prunes.
Remember the posting rules here.

41-1-20.2.jpg

Kentucky Club. A later-introduced player during the golden era that is no longer with us. Never quite as big a seller as PA or SWR, it was still a reasonably popular blend back in the day. And a solid Burley. We’ll see a good bit of this one at the coffee table, but generally reserved to B&W quarter box placements.

View attachment 1321585
I smoked a lot of Kentucky Club Mixture, the one in the red plaid packaging. It was supposed to be an aromatic, but it wasn't heavily topped or goopy. I can't recall ever seeing the other KC blends, I think they marketed three or four different ones. Sutliff and Milan have matches for KC, but I'm not sure which iterations they copied.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I smoked a lot of Kentucky Club Mixture, the one in the red plaid packaging. It was supposed to be an aromatic, but it wasn't heavily topped or goopy. I can't recall ever seeing the other KC blends, I think they marketed three or four different ones. Sutliff and Milan have matches for KC, but I'm not sure which iterations they copied.

I was never a KC smoker, other than a stray bowl or two of the standard blue along the way. But there used to be the standard 'blue' tin mild Burley blend, and the 'plaid' tin "Mixture", which was an aromatic (probably roughly along the lines of SWRA as a lightly topped one). If there were other blends, I never paid enough attention to notice them.

I have no idea which old KC recipes any matches today are emulating. I'm going to guess the blue, because matching vintage aromatics is much harder, IMO.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

41-1-27.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

As their road trip continues, we now see the Ol’ Judge and Chubbins show us the “Wonders of America” - a mid-Century technological tour de force of the Nation. The reason for this change is apparent, as we will touch on in the next SWR ad.

In this one, we learn about the now-legendary 200 inch Hale Telescope at the Palomar Observatory in California. At the time of this ad, the Hale Telescope was still under construction, and would not be completed until well after WWII. While it is no longer the worlds’ largest telescope, it remains in active use today.

41-1.1.jpg

As their road trip continues, we now see the Ol’ Judge and Chubbins show us the “Wonders of America” - a mid-Century technological tour de force of the Nation. The reason for this change is apparent, as we will touch on in the next SWR ad.

In this one, we learn about the now-legendary 200 inch Hale Telescope at the Palomar Observatory in California. At the time of this ad, the Hale Telescope was still under construction, and would not be completed until well after WWII. While it is no longer the worlds’ largest telescope, it remains in active use today.

View attachment 1322477

Completed in 1949 and remained the largest US scope till 1992. Hubble was the first Astronomer to use the 200 inch reflector.

***Note that the BTA-6 in the Soviet Union was larger (1976) but the thing has had several issues and does not operate anywhere near its 'supposed' expectations. Basically the mirror is total trash and after three castings/refiguring it still doesn't operate correctly to this day.

Makes my simple 8 inch reflector look like a toy...

Screenshot from 2021-09-04 22-16-14.png

Last edited:

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I was never a KC smoker, other than a stray bowl or two of the standard blue along the way. But there used to be the standard 'blue' tin mild Burley blend, and the 'plaid' tin "Mixture", which was an aromatic (probably roughly along the lines of SWRA as a lightly topped one). If there were other blends, I never paid enough attention to notice them.

I have no idea which old KC recipes any matches today are emulating. I'm going to guess the blue, because matching vintage aromatics is much harder, IMO.
I don’t know with any certainty but matching the tobaccos in a blend is rather straight forward but without the super secret for the toppings recipe, you are pretty much lit of luck for getting an exact match

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

World War Two has been underway for over a year. France has fallen. Britain stands alone, fighting for its life. The Axis is advancing everywhere. For now, in early 1941, America is still at peace. But everyone is getting ready for the inevitable. From here on out, we are going to see more and more uniforms, and increasing references to national defense and war-readiness at the coffee table. Many of our codger forefathers are eventually going over. Some will never return home.

41-1.2.jpg

Top Bottom