What's new

SE noob with some dumb questions (Vector related)

With all of the hoopla, I got sucked into the Vector ti hype, and placed my pre-order (Yay!) I have exactly zero experience with artist club razors and blades. I have been scouring all corners of B&B, YouTube and the interwebs in general trying to figure out a few things. Any feedback from Vector owners would be much appreciated!

A) What is the gap/exposure on the Vector? I can't find any info at all on this. (This may be my dumbest question, because it now appears that the type of blade used is what determines this? Just guessing here)
B) What are the very mildest blades to start with? Seems to be guarded blades? I did also just order the sampler from Try a Blade, but I want to start with training wheels here! Some of the Feathers seem outrageously scary :redface:
C) I mainly want this as a head shaver as I am insanely happy with my Karve CB aluminum for face shaves. Anyone head shave with the Vector? How do you like it?

Aside from being nervous about trying something so different (and so expensive) I am giddy with anticipation over this razor! Thanks for any feedback.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Congratulations on your deepest end of the pool entrance to SE/AC safety razors!

Exposure is going to vary according to which blade you choose. The Feather Artist Club Pro Light is a guarded blade that Feather says is 7.4mm from spine to edge. The Feather Artist Club Pro Super is 8.2mm. The rest of Feather’s lineup is 8mm. Kai P!nk Mild is also 8mm (I’m blindly assuming their Pro-Touch MG and other styles are also 8mm). When I measured the Schick Proline P series blade, my feeble eyes saw 8.05mm, but that’s me trying to read a ruler.

On this forum, Kai Pro-Touch MG seems to be the popular guarded blade for single edge safety razors and the Feather Pro Guard is the popular starter for barber razors (like the Feather AC or Kai Kasho).

That’s all I got. Bought a Blackbird OC instead of a stainless Vector and limit my AC-format shaving to stuff made in Canada and China for now.

@MurderousCrow and @Old Hippie might have good head shaving tips for AC blade safety razors even though I think they join me in not yet owning a Blackland Vector.

Thank you @thombrogan, this is exactly the kind of info I was looking for! (I recognize your handle from Bladeforums, been a member there for ages!)
The blade sizing it what was most confusing to me. But it is also very cool that you can customize the blade feel so much with the varying blade sizes, seems I should be able to find a blade that does what I need.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
@MurderousCrow and @Old Hippie might have good head shaving tips for AC blade safety razors even though I think they join me in not yet owning a Blackland Vector.

Correct. I am still in the ranks of the unVectored. :)

But I finally bought a FOCS, so there may be hope.

My experience with Artist Club blades is that they can do an excellent job shaving my head. I think I have somewhat hard hair. I usually can get 5 or 6 decent shaves out of either a DE or Gem blade. In a well-designed AC safety razor I can generally get 8 to 10 decent shaves -- such as the Vector, I assume, though in my case my current best is the RazoRock Stainless Hawk V3SB and the ATT X1.

I also use AC blades in barber straights. I have a "Sally SS" clone (copy of a Feather SS, made in China and sold by Sally Beauty in the US and Canada). I also have a Kasho Woody and a just-acquired Feather SR kamisori.

I have a preference in safety razors for open combs, but I can be a bit picky about that. I can happily shave with a smooth bar or scalloped bar razor, so I'm "nondenominational." I personally find that I like OC teeth fairly close together. I tried a RazoRock "Jaws" OC plate for the Hawk but found that it tended to straddle skin bumps like mosquito bites or ingrown hairs. That means instead of the blade going up-and-over the bump, it removes it. I always say: great for smooth skin but a little traumatic. :) I don't believe you'd have a problem with a Vector OC, but that's mere speculation until I break down and get one.

The Hawk V3SB and ATT's new X1 SE Slant are my faves for AC head-shaving. They are both designed to be somewhat milder than other AC razors, which I find congenial. I've been thinking about a Vector OC, or getting one with both smooth and OC plates.

One thing to watch with AC blades on your noggin is that if you dents or if your skull sutures (the natural seams in the bone structure) are deeper, you might have to adjust your angles to get steel all the way to the bottom. You may also have to practice quickly changing the angle of your presentation in order to avoid overshooting the dip and digging the edge into the other side. Admittedly that's more of a problem with a barber straight but it's not uncommon with some safety razors to feel the edge kiss lightly and know you've just barely avoided a nick.

O.H.

Thank you @Old Hippie, this is more excellent info! I have not had great luck using a DE on my head, and I am not sure if an AC razor will fair better. I have not ever used an artist club blade, or even seen one in person, ha! But the Vector just keeps speaking to me. The slim, wide blades, even from what I have seen on RR Hawk just look like they will be more nimble for the noggin than a DE.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The Vector Stainless (SB & OC plates) is my favorite AC blade razor. Probably my favorite razor, period.

If you want mild/medium, SB plate with Kai Protouch MG guarded blade.

Medium+, use the SB plate with Schick Proline blade.

High Efficiency, use the OC plate with Feather Pro Super blade.

You can fine tune the efficiency by mixing and matching blades and plates from there. :)

A huge plus, in my opinion, with the Vector is the small head. Exceptionally nimble and maneuverable.

Hope you enjoy your new Ti Vector. I plan on getting one when the initial rush abates. :)

Correct. I am still in the ranks of the unVectored. :)

But I finally bought a FOCS, so there may be hope.

My experience with Artist Club blades is that they can do an excellent job shaving my head. I think I have somewhat hard hair. I usually can get 5 or 6 decent shaves out of either a DE or Gem blade. In a well-designed AC safety razor I can generally get 8 to 10 decent shaves -- such as the Vector, I assume, though in my case my current best is the RazoRock Stainless Hawk V3SB and the ATT X1.

I also use AC blades in barber straights. I have a "Sally SS" clone (copy of a Feather SS, made in China and sold by Sally Beauty in the US and Canada). I also have a Kasho Woody and a just-acquired Feather SR kamisori.

I have a preference in safety razors for open combs, but I can be a bit picky about that. I can happily shave with a smooth bar or scalloped bar razor, so I'm "nondenominational." I personally find that I like OC teeth fairly close together. I tried a RazoRock "Jaws" OC plate for the Hawk but found that it tended to straddle skin bumps like mosquito bites or ingrown hairs. That means instead of the blade going up-and-over the bump, it removes it. I always say: great for smooth skin but a little traumatic. :) I don't believe you'd have a problem with a Vector OC, but that's mere speculation until I break down and get one.

The Hawk V3SB and ATT's new X1 SE Slant are my faves for AC head-shaving. They are both designed to be somewhat milder than other AC razors, which I find congenial. I've been thinking about a Vector OC, or getting one with both smooth and OC plates.

One thing to watch with AC blades on your noggin is that if you dents or if your skull sutures (the natural seams in the bone structure) are deeper, you might have to adjust your angles to get steel all the way to the bottom. You may also have to practice quickly changing the angle of your presentation in order to avoid overshooting the dip and digging the edge into the other side. Admittedly that's more of a problem with a barber straight but it's not uncommon with some safety razors to feel the edge kiss lightly and know you've just barely avoided a nick.

O.H.

This is a great post, excellent advice. @thombrogan is correct, I don't own a Blackland. I only have experience with 2 safety razors for head shaving, so take what I say with that in mind. I enjoyed my standard Razorock Hawk V2, but the V3 OC blows it away. Yes, the gaps are wide which can potentially cause nicks; more often though I find some thin neat lines of unshaved skin haha. Easy to touch up though. I go ATG first pass, I get good results with this, and only need a little touching up after as a rule.

Forgive me if you know this stuff, but here are some tips I've found useful. Thorough skin prep. Rich but slick lather - LOTS of soap, LOTS of water. Light, light pressure with these, just use the weight of the razor, gently wipe your scalp clean of lather. Angle is crucial but muscle memory will soon build, you generally want the shallowest angle possible while still cutting. For the tricky bits like the sutures @Old Hippie mentions, and angle changes in general, allow the razor to tilt back toward the flat (i.e. handle more perpendicular to the skin). This rolling motion will save a lot of grief; it'll be a slower shave than you're used to most likely but you'll get quicker soon enough.

Can't emphasise the pressure piece enough, especially if you've previously used cartridge razors which require firm force through the handle for head shaving. Unlearn that!

Luke

More excellent advice guys, I really appreciate it! I have been shaving my head for about 25 years now, BUT 99% of the time, I use a cart. On the weekends when I have more time, I use my Karve CB, but I always have to cleanup with a cart. I just can never get the angles right using a DE. Based strictly on the way the heads look on the Vector, and the Hawk too, they seem like they will work much better for the scalp.

@MurderousCrow, I also always do a one pass ATG, then do a cleanup. I am really hoping the Vector will let me keep that going (once I get used to it) because I shave daily, and have it down smooth and fast! Definitely will have to watch the pressure since I am used to mainly using a light plastic cart, or my very mild aluminum Karve.

Aside from being nervous about trying something so different (and so expensive) I am giddy with anticipation over this razor! Thanks for any feedback.
Don’t be nervous!🥺 Shane, like all the top razor artisans, want you to be happy with your purchase. Blackland offers a 30-day no questions asked return policy. Simply email him and let him know that you plan on returning the razor. The only thing you have to lose is the return shipping. I returned the Blackbird and had a full refund within a couple of days. I plan on doing the same thing with the Vector if for whatever reason I don’t like it. The only difference is I plan on keeping the Vector for a couple of weeks (at least) in order to give it and myself a chance to adjust to the new format. I recently got a Colonial General AC head and, without a doubt, there is a learning curve. Nevertheless, it’s quickly becoming my favorite razor, the weight of the stainless steel notwithstanding.
So be giddy!😃 You’re about to experience what many experienced B&B members consider the holy grail of shaving 🪒👍🏻
P.S. If you haven’t done so already, get a quality soap to go with your quality razor 😉

Last edited:
Thanks man, I also plan on using it for a couple of weeks, and trying several different blades in it. Even if I don't like it, and hope that isn't the case, I would probably sell it here on BST rather than return it. My blades are on the way from Try a Blade, and now I am just patiently waiting for the razor! I also have watched a few more YouTube videos on it, and it's really amping me up (IAMCDB has been extremely impressed with it, and did a trouble free head shave with it)

Yep, I probably have watched that Ruds video ten times over the years lol. It almost swayed me to buy the stainless Vector a couple years ago. I wish he would return to making videos. Even though his rating system went off the charts, I always thought he gave the info I needed in short format.

Yep, I probably have watched that Ruds video ten times over the years lol. It almost swayed me to buy the stainless Vector a couple years ago. I wish he would return to making videos. Even though his rating system went off the charts, I always thought he gave the info I needed in short format.
Wow…you’re like a YouTube afficianado!😂
I didn’t even know that Rudds stopped making videos! What a shame. O well, all good things must come to an end I guess.

LoL! I had to furlough from work last year for three months during the height of covid. I watched... um... an unhealthy amount of shaving videos during that time :redface: . I was binge watching them the way most people watch Netflix!

LoL! I had to furlough from work last year for three months during the height of covid. I watched... um... an unhealthy amount of shaving videos during that time :redface: . I was binge watching them the way most people watch Netflix!
Did your bank account survive?! If I read about se, and start looking and reading more, I soon find that the item made it into my shave drawer, lol! :001_tongu

Did your bank account survive?! If I read about se, and start looking and reading more, I soon find that the item made it into my shave drawer, lol! :001_tongu
So far, kind of :) I did pop on the ti Vector, which is my absolute most expensive shaving purchase. But otherwise, I have not had any RAD (soaps are another story, but I can stop any time I want!)

I have sold all of my DE razors and the the only razor I currently use is the Vector. The only other razor I even own is the Colonial V2, which I keep to have as a travel razor for the rare occasion I need to fly, but I don't use it. I have the Ti Vector on order and also an Alpha Claymore on order. My only other SE experience was with the Sabre Level 2 (GEM), which I also really enjoyed using, but not as much as the Vector so it got moved along.

A) I'm not sure the gap of the Vector, but I'm not sure it's really that important unless you have a wide experience with other AC razors. Blade gap is not going to be a direct comparison from any DE to SE razor. The Vector has some blade feel to it, but I wouldn't describe it as aggressive or harsh. A lot of people say it is among their smoothest razors they've ever used. I personally don't find the Vector to be overly smooth, at least not the same way I would describe the Sabre or Timeless .68 as smooth. As far as blades changing the aggression/efficiency, I believe the Feather Pro Super is the only blade that is slightly wider (8.2mm) which increases the blade exposure and makes it feel more aggressive. Feather also makes a blade called the Pro Light which is slightly narrower (7.4mm) which decreases the exposure. All of the other AC blades on the market, as far as I'm aware, should all offer the same level of exposure because they are all 8mm wide.
B) The absolute mildest blades to start with would be the Feather Pro Soft Guard, which is a guarded version of the Pro Light (7.4mm width). Although I've never tried the Soft Guard, I personally think this is overkill for even the most sensitive skin. The next step up after that would be the Feather Pro Light (7.4mm), which I have also not tried. The milder versions of the 8mm blades are the Feather Pro Guard or the Kai Captain ProTouch, both are the guarded versions from each brand. Keep in mind, the guarded blades have guards on the outside of the cutting edge which also makes the blades slightly thicker, which should also effect the razor's blade gap slightly (another reason I don't think it's important to worry about the Vector's blade gap). For unguarded 8mm blades, the 3 most popular and readily available are the Feather Pro, Kai Captain Mild (AKA Kai Pinks), or Schick Proline. FWIW, I'm not sure you can rack and stack the various 8mm blades in terms of mild/efficient, I think it really depends on skin and beard type so you'll have to try all of them and figure out which works best for you. A lot of people swear by the Feather or the Schicks, but for me they both feel extremely dull and very "tuggy" on my beard. For me, the Kai Captain Milds are much smoother and don't tug at all, which leads me to believe they are sharper. However, many people report the exact opposite opinion and feel the Kais to be tuggy and the Feathers or Schicks to feel sharper, so you'll have to try them all and decide for yourself. Then for an extra step up in efficiency from all of those, you have the Feather Pro Super (8.2mm).
C) I'm not a head shaver but I know a lot of people really like the Vector for head shaving, FWIW.

I hope this helps explain your questions a little more. None of the forums have a really good repository for SE blade comparisons so it's not easy to figure all this stuff out. I'm in no way an expert, but that is what I've been able to decipher over the past 4-5 months or so. Also just for your awareness, Try A Blade ships the AC blades individually in a folded piece of cardboard paper. The blades are able to slide back and forth while in transit, and this can affect the edge if it rubs against the paper they are packaged in. You'll probably want to try a few of each type of blade just to be sure you're getting a "fresh" blade. The best thing to do, in my opinion, is to buy a full pack of the ones you think you are interested in just to validate your opinions before you go too crazy ordering a bunch of blades, or dismissing blades based on your experience with the samples you got.

Last edited:
Top Bottom