What's new

Zenith vs Omega Boar 🐗 Brush

Most boar brushes become pretty soft at the tips as the tips split during break-in. The firmness (or backbone), is another aspect of how a boar brush feels in use. The backbone depends on the loft of the knot, the density of the bristles and the thickness of each bristle.

So, you can see that a boar brush can be soft and have a lot of backbone at the same time, or it could be soft and more floppy like a mop.

It's hard to generalize about all brushes from a particular maker. Let's take a specific pair of similar brushes. Omega 49 Pro vs. Zenith B03-A26. Both have excellent knots with fairly similar size. The Omega's bristles are thicker than the Zenith's. The Omega feels firmer and scrubbier. The Zenith feels less firm, but extremely comfortable to use. The Omega knot shape is almost like a cylinder. The Zenith knot is shaped more like a cone. As the brushes break in, the knots will splay out somewhat and the tips will split.

1629094137571.png
1629093684552.png

Most boar brushes become pretty soft at the tips as the tips split during break-in. The firmness (or backbone), is another aspect of how a boar brush feels in use. The backbone depends on the loft of the knot, the density of the bristles and the thickness of each bristle.

So, you can see that a boar brush can be soft and have a lot of backbone at the same time, or it could be soft and more floppy like a mop.

It's hard to generalize about all brushes from a particular maker. Let's take a specific pair of similar brushes. Omega 49 Pro vs. Zenith B03-A26. Both have excellent knots with fairly similar size. The Omega's bristles are thicker than the Zenith's. The Omega feels firmer and scrubbier. The Zenith feels less firm, but extremely comfortable to use. The Omega knot shape is almost like a cylinder. The Zenith knot is shaped more like a cone. As the brushes break in, the knots will splay out somewhat and the tips will split.

View attachment 1312358 View attachment 1312355
+1
It's even more obvious with shorter lofts so I tend to stick with Omega's like the 10108 or the Proraso (made by Omega).

I have used Omega 10098 and 10005 brush and Semogue Owner's Club Boar they all have a subtle backbone and good density, enough for a good lather flow through.

I sold 10098 and 10005 brushes though, I now have SOC, Proraso Professional Boar brush and Zenith 507 BCE SE brush.

Zenith 507BC SE : 57 x 27 (55 x 27 actual)

Proraso Professional Boar and Zenith 507BCE SE pure bristles (bleached) :

On the paper they both seem to have similar specifications but in reality they are altogether different from each other.

I can feel the following differences :

IMG_20210816_123240.jpg

# Proraso Professional is less dense than the Zenith brush

# Zenith has softer bristles (bleached)

# Zenith brush has more backbone than the Proraso Professional Boar brush

IMG_20210816_123315.jpg

# Proraso Professional Boar brush has better lather flow through than Zenith boar brush

# Proraso Professional is better priced but Zenith boar has excellent handles

# Proraso Professional Boar brush is faster in break-in than the Zenith boar brush

IMG_20210816_123358.jpg

Lathering capacity is dependent upon the individuals, both brushes are fine and no shedding issues were encountered.

My brushes are still under break-in and they may show more characters in the future.
Both brush offers something unique and both are worth having.

Congrats on your new Zenith! I love all 5 of my Zenith boars, they have great soft tips & also have the right scrub, density, & backbone, IMHO.

I generally prefer unbleached boars - Omega Premium Jade, Zenith wood-handled & plastic-handled, as well as the Proraso Pro by Omega. But a good bleached boar is also to my liking.

If I had to rate my top 5 boars, it would be:
#1 - Omega Premium Jade (unbleached)
#2 - Zenith wood-handled (unbleached)
#3 - Zenith plastic-handled (unbleached)
#4 - Zenith aluminum handled 506ALL (bleached)
#5 - Proraso Professional by Omega (unbleached)

I find most of the Omegas I've tried are bleached & too floppy for my liking. That's why there are currently only 2 Omega's I'm enjoying. I have several other Zenith bleached boars that are quite nice, as well. They are shorter lofted brushes instead of tall lofts, as that's my preference. The SOC is a very nice brush, IMHO. The SOC almost is not dense enough, & is almost too high of a loft, but the bristles are so soft that I can easily forgive those other two partial shortcomings. At 24mm, it's as small of a knot as I care to use.

Last edited:
Side track, went looking at baby boars. Kenny, did you see this? That looks like it ticks all the boxes for badger that you are looking for and makes a nice "companion" for your baby boar.

Side track, went looking at baby boars. Kenny, did you see this? That looks like it ticks all the boxes for badger that you are looking for and makes a nice "companion" for your baby boar.

That is a very nice looking brush to boot.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Congrats on your new Zenith! I love all 5 of my Zenith boars, they have great soft tips & also have the right scrub, density, & backbone, IMHO.

I generally prefer unbleached boars - Omega Premium Jade, Zenith wood-handled & plastic-handled, as well as the Proraso Pro by Omega. But a good bleached boar is also to my liking.

If I had to rate my top 5 boars, it would be:
#1 - Omega Premium Jade (unbleached)
#2 - Zenith wood-handled (unbleached)
#3 - Zenith plastic-handled (unbleached)
#4 - Zenith aluminum handled 506ALL (bleached)
#5 - Proraso Professional by Omega (unbleached)

I find most of the Omegas I've tried are bleached & too floppy for my liking. That's why there are currently only 2 Omega's I'm enjoying. I have several other Zenith bleached boars that are quite nice, as well. They are shorter lofted brushes instead of tall lofts, as that's my preference. The SOC is a very nice brush, IMHO. The SOC almost is not dense enough, & is almost too high of a loft, but the bristles are so soft that I can easily forgive those other two partial shortcomings. At 24mm, it's as small of a knot as I care to use.

Nice list of brushes. I have all of them, too. You've nailed it in my view.

There are other good boars of course, such as the Mighty Midget (a good little Omega), and most of the short lofted (57 mm or less) Zenith bleached knots (although the unbleached are better).

Unbleached takes longer to break in but it's worth it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Thanks! I will look into it. I was also looking at the Simpsons Emperor:

1629678191178.png
I'm in no rush as I want to use my baby boar for a while. But, eventually, I will get a badger!

Found a perfect match for the baby boar 😂
1629679125719.png

Last edited:
Nice list of brushes. I have all of them, too. You've nailed it in my view.

There are other good boars of course, such as the Mighty Midget (a good little Omega), and most of the short lofted (57 mm or less) Zenith bleached knots (although the unbleached are better).

Unbleached takes longer to break in but it's worth it.

Happy shaves,

Jim
It's because of your kindness I discovered the joys of boar. Your reviews & explanations were invaluable as I explored the wonderful world of boar. Thank you for your numerous conversations & your patience as you answered my questions & shared your experiences.

Hey folks, the above is what makes B & B such a great forum! Patience & unselfishness by @Chan Eil Whiskers sharing his knowledge, likes & dislikes, & why that is desirable or not to him. His sharing allowed my knowledge & understanding to grow, & also enabled me to find some truly superb brushes. to Thank you, sir!!!!!! :a14::a14::a14:

Top Bottom