What's new

How long does it take?

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
I shipped a package (shaving related) from USA to Bulgaria on July 7th with USPS. Package has not arrived at it's destination yet. Because I wasn't willing to pay a stupid amount of money to ship the package the tracking is only available while it is in the USA and it says delivered in Jamaica, NY. How long does this take? Should it be considered lost? I know the recipient is waiting anxiously but I'm afraid it may never arrive. I have no experience with overseas shipping and I am to figure out my next step, or if one even exists?

In April I ordered a package from Germany to ship DHL/USPS. it shipped 6/15 and I received it in CONUS July 22. It’s not Bulgaria but it was coming from Europe and it still took quite a while to arrive.

Last edited:

ylekot

In April I ordered a package from Germany to ship DHL/USPS. it shipped 6/15 and I received it in CONUS July 22. It’s not Bulgaria but it was coming from Europe and it still took quite a while to arrive.
OK so just wait and see I guess. Just seems crazy that it would take this long.

OK so just wait and see I guess. Just seems crazy that it would take this long.

I’d give it a couple more weeks. The transportation chains are still absolutely screwed up. There’s no rhyme or reason. I’ve been sending and receiving to eastern Asian and it takes less then a week. Europe has been a black hole for me.

Well . . . my daughter just established an Etsy page. Being a good Dad, I ordered a coffee mug. The manufacturer of the products is US-based, and I am in Canada near Toronto.

Shipping cost more than the item itself.
Order fulfillment is said to take 3-5 business days.
Shipping from 1-3 weeks. I am guessing my order will be closer to the 1 week timeline, but who knows.

There are a lot of horror stories about the USPS these days. Tracking seems to be largely nonexistent - the item is checked in (maybe) then there's no evidence of it until it's delivered. Covid has been the excuse but even that seems to be wearing thin. A package was Priority mailed to us at Thanksgiving and we didn't receive it until the second week of January. Sadly, it had homemade bread in it.

Legion

Staff member
I’d give it two months before considering it lost at the moment.

Ive been ordering stuff from China with AliExpress, and the postage has been anywhere from two weeks to two months. But even when I gave something up for lost, it eventually showed up.

ylekot

Hercule, sorry about the bread that truly sucks, thanks for easing my mind folks, I really hope it makes it.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
DeJoy has a financial interest in destroying the USPS. Been gumming up the works for 2 years, and he is very difficult to get rid of. There are some that want to do prove government doesn’t work by not allowing it to.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
1629393619455.png

"How long is it?"
"Bit of a personal question, sir!"

Hercule, sorry about the bread that truly sucks, thanks for easing my mind folks, I really hope it makes it.

You should have seen it when it did arrive! Mom-in-law freezes it before sending it so its usually fine when it gets here - it only had to go from central PA to Cleveland.

Anyway, in your case I think it's still early yet. I'd give it at least another week or so before getting truly concerned.

Our experience shipping overseas is to allow two months. It seldom takes that long to the EU. Bulgaria? Hmmm, no telling.

Even domestic shipping is utterly upside down. We shipped an order to a neighboring state and it took one month. I could have ridden my bike there faster. USPS blames covid, I am not buying it. They have had well over one year to adjust and the nuttiness continues. Any privately owned business whose service degenerates like that with no correction would be out of business.

Overseas shipping has become a serious pain especially from the US or UK to mainland Europe besides the regular shipping cost you have pay import fees as well had to pay $10 shipping + $20 import fee on a $25 package from Maggards 🥴

ylekot

As near as I can figure it's a money grab. If you pay big bucks they will ship it like they should. If you don't pay they let it sit. I have ordered things that will make it across the country in 2 days and then sit in a town 20 minutes away from my house for another 3 or 4 days before it gets to my house.

I was waiting four months for my Blackland Vector to arrive in Australia from Maggards. I never thought That I was going to see it and they were about to send a new one but it did eventually arrive. That was a record. In my experience it always gets there eventually. In the current climate a month is not uncommon for standard post. DHL on the other hand is astonishingly quick.

I had a USPS package sit in Houston for a week without moving or having any tracking updates.
Day 8, it suddenly appeared at our local PO for delivery that day, no explanation given.

Did your package ever get to where it needed to be?

I just ordered some custom tools from a machinist in Canada. He shipped Canada Post and I received them in 8 days in the US through the USPS. It was about a 10 lbs package. They only sat in US customs for two business days. I think this the fastest I’ve received a package in the US since COVID started.

ylekot

Did your package ever get to where it needed to be?

I just ordered some custom tools from a machinist in Canada. He shipped Canada Post and I received them in 8 days in the US through the USPS. It was about a 10 lbs package. They only sat in US customs for two business days. I think this the fastest I’ve received a package in the US since COVID started.
I have had no updates from the recipient

Top Bottom