What's new

head shaving?

i did thelather on you scalp thing and had very goood results imo. the issue is my head goes dry before the foam does. even with preshave soaps and gels. to those out there who are more experienced in scalp shaving. any way i can prevent this from happening?

If it is a lather problem, more water in the lather would be the solution. I do not aim for a stiff yogurt like consistency. I aim for more hydration, which is "looser," but retains the water better.

If it is because you are carefully taking your time, you can lather up one section at a time to keep it fresh and wet.

In either case, I have a $.99 spray bottle with water nearby to spray mist on the skin before or during passes.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
Wet the head a little more before applying the lather. Plastic bottle is just as good to spray on the head and keep the lather moist.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
By preference I've been living in some pretty dry places the last 30 years. I don't have a problem with lather drying out. First, I tend to make a slightly wetter lather so there's simply more water hanging around. I'm not a "cake icing" lather guy. In fact since I also use barber straights I use a "well hydrated" lather more often than not. Slightly runny going on means I will stiffen it up a little as I work it in with the boar brush.

The other tactic I use is to lather up an area, shave it, lather the next area and so on. My head shaving "areas" go like this (note that I do each side separately):

Top ridge of head to temples/ears WTG, right side first then left side. Wipe off excess lather.
Back of head, first right side then left, two WTG passes on each side. Wipe of excess lather.
Back of head, right then left, one or two ATG passes (I find the FOCS likes two). Wipe off...you get the idea.
Temples and sides, one side and then the other, WTG/XTG/ATG.

I have skull ridges on each side where the angles change abruptly. I shave them WTG in the first stage, then two XTG passes front to back and back to front, then an ATG pass. Finally I lather them one more time and stretch the skin so the hair right on the peak is pulled to one side so I can get the last of it ATG. Aside from catching any missed spots, at that point I'm done. A quick splash in cold well water, a feel to make sure I'm smooth, slap on some Nivea and go start the day.

O.H.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
By preference I've been living in some pretty dry places the last 30 years. I don't have a problem with lather drying out. First, I tend to make a slightly wetter lather so there's simply more water hanging around. I'm not a "cake icing" lather guy. In fact since I also use barber straights I use a "well hydrated" lather more often than not. Slightly runny going on means I will stiffen it up a little as I work it in with the boar brush.

The other tactic I use is to lather up an area, shave it, lather the next area and so on. My head shaving "areas" go like this (note that I do each side separately):

Top ridge of head to temples/ears WTG, right side first then left side. Wipe off excess lather.
Back of head, first right side then left, two WTG passes on each side. Wipe of excess lather.
Back of head, right then left, one or two ATG passes (I find the FOCS likes two). Wipe off...you get the idea.
Temples and sides, one side and then the other, WTG/XTG/ATG.

I have skull ridges on each side where the angles change abruptly. I shave them WTG in the first stage, then two XTG passes front to back and back to front, then an ATG pass. Finally I lather them one more time and stretch the skin so the hair right on the peak is pulled to one side so I can get the last of it ATG. Aside from catching any missed spots, at that point I'm done. A quick splash in cold well water, a feel to make sure I'm smooth, slap on some Nivea and go start the day.

O.H.

Can't agree with you more.
I also use the same strategy-wetter lather + brush the lather in the order of the area.

I’ve found it best to shave in the shower, especially for shaving my head.
Same here. I had the same issue w drying. I just started shaving the dome in the shower. Took a little bit to get use to shaving by feel, but after a while it's 2nd nature.

I'm assuming you're using a decent shaving soap and a shaving brush, right? When I had that problem early on, it was generally because I wasn't getting enough soap loaded into the brush. I can point you to some videos if you're interested.

1) Shave in the shower = more water and much easier clean up. 2) Sounds like you should load your brush more or your soap is just not quality. You can try to super lather by adding something like Kiss My Face. 3) Mild razor - this is a long shot but the milder the razor the faster you can go. I use a Merkur OC and I can get it done it like 2 minutes.

I generally just wet my hand and rub it around my head so it slickens up. If it feels like I wet it too much and it's not slick, I'll dab some more lather on. Probably not the best way to do it, but it works for me. As a note, I do make my lather a bit wetter than others I've seen on videos and in pics. It goes on thinner and doesn't look like fresh meringue or whip cream, but it still works well to shave with.

get yourself a 360 hair mister sprayer bottle, its just like a normal water bottle but the mist comes out at the same consistentcy and you can just press the trigger a handful of times and loads of water will come out,
just apply water to lather whenever you feel it getting too dry

plus good thing about these bottles is you spend less time getting your hands wet and then having to dry them off etc

Top Bottom