What's new

List all the exes and reason(s) of divorce.

R89 too mild
Noberu of Sweden (giesen & forsthoff) Horrible shaves, too mild, gave irritation, did not cut, blade align more on the other side.
R41 was too scared of it, never dared to try it
Rocca too much tugging and not smooth enough
Rockwell 6S nice but too mild, not efficient enough

Only devorcee is a Weishi TTO. PIFed it to a fellow wetshaver in need.
Reason was that I seldom used it. So I don’t miss it. But I have no bad words about the EX🙂

Vikings Blade Godfather. Combines inefficiency with a remarkable ability to inflict razor burn and draw blood. Wouldn't go back even for Helen.

Merkur 38c has been very faithful.

A Rockwell 6S has caught my and has me pondering...

Wow—I see some of my favorites have been tossed aside here, the Rocca and the Karve most notably.

For me, once you enter my razor harem, you are there to stay. You might be unattractive, overly aggressive, tediously dull, spiteful, decrepit, pockmarked, or just plain mean. But you have found a home and I will let you caress my face, even if it’s only on very rare occasions. Sometimes it’s just to remind myself why I keep you locked in the cellar.

(I should say that’s only my double edged harem. I have straights that are entirely unfit for human companionship, though some may eventually be reformed.)

I run my razor harem the exact same way. Stopped acquiring new ones at 35 razors or so. Some get used rarely, like the Z0 (Chinese stainless steel Copy of the R41) as they are waaaay aggressive. And some are daily drivers. But all are here to stay.

My journey consists of a few different stages

1) In my first year of wet shaving I bought and sold many razors, I can’t even remember the individual reasons. I think I had settled on an ATT M1/M2 combo and everything else had to go:
- EJ DE89
- Ikon Slant
- multiple vintage Gillette’s (Slim, Fatboy, 40s Aristocrat, New LC)
- ATT Slant

2) all I had was the ATT and the Pils for a few years, using the ATT 99% of the time

3) in 2018 I decided to see what was on the market and bought a Rex Ambassador and a Rocnel. They made me sell the Above the Tie and the Mongoose

4) from 2018 to 2020 I went through a SR only period. I used the Rocnel for travel and occasionally the Rex

5) Last year I figured out that I wanted to shave every day and straights wouldn’t do it for me. I also decided that I don’t need a $200+ Safety razor to get good shaves. So I sold the Rocnel and the Pils, but kept the Rex (I love everything about it). I bought a couple of Fatips, a Henson, a Gillette Tech and Superspeed. The Henson is everything I need and I use it 80-90% of the time. Works great for me. The others I use when I feel bored and want to change

A few things I'm wrapping up with this captivating topic:

-As far as I saw, Wolfman is a home wrecker, but no Wolfman was exchanged for another one that wasn't a Wolfman either.

-Not everything that shines is gold. (expensive razors being exchanged for more modest ones without any shame)

-There must to be a balance between ritual, hobby and daily routine.

For now I am living in peace with my asians babes (DS-X1 an Z0). When I want romance (mildness) it's X1, when I want crazy and wild love (agressive) it's Z0.

I bought a Merkur Futur brand new and every time I used it, it was a given that blood would be shed. Sold it, then bought an older Futur (married her older sister?) for a good price and it shaves like a dream.

I've thought about jettisoning my Rockwell 6s and my Karve because I never seem to reach for them. Shaved with both this week and they're still boring to use (the finish on the 6S bugs me because it feels like it always wants to tug) but they both shave just well enough that I think I will hang on to them for now.

Last edited:
A few things I'm wrapping up with this captivating topic:

-As far as I saw, Wolfman is a home wrecker, but no Wolfman was exchanged for another one that wasn't a Wolfman either.

-Not everything that shines is gold. (expensive razors being exchanged for more modest ones without any shame)

-There must to be a balance between ritual, hobby and daily routine.

For now I am living in peace with my asians babes (DS-X1 an Z0). When I want romance (mildness) it's X1, when I want crazy and wild love (agressive) it's Z0.

Excellent observations! The third one is spot-on, imho.

Gifted, passed to family and friends:
Merkur 34C (2): solid razor, a bit too mild for me (and kinda boring…)
Merkur 15C: too mild, way too mild!
Edwin Jagger DE3D (DE89): could never get along, too mild
Rockwell 6C: the head is just too tall, difficult to use under the nose (for me)
ATT Alu Calypso H2/M2: passed it to my kid when he wanted something more efficient than his Merkur 34C
Fatip Lo Storto Originale (OC): great razor, but Slants are simply not for me
Fatip Lo Storto Gentile (SB): great razor, but Slants are simply not for me

No regrets about any of the razors I’ve gifted away (maybe I should have kept one of my Merkurs 34C). I had a great time with them, I most definitively learned a lot and they help me discover what I like and what works best for me. They certainly were instrumental in helping find better ones and my current favorites (a Fatip OC, a Karve Alu OC and a Muhle R41).

Another plus is that I’d like to think that I’ve helped about 4 to 5 people get started in this wonderful journey of ours. One of them is my youngest son (I have two sons, one bit, the other didn’t).

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have hardly any ex-razors. (Another way of looking at it would be to say I have a large harem of mostly totally neglected razors + a few I actually use.)

Not that I'm thinning the herd. The truth is I have two or three new razors in transit.

However, I sometimes realize the razor I used today would be perfectly acceptable as my one and only forever Daily Driver. Today - having shaved this morning with my Wolfman WR2 1.15 - would be a great example of such a day.

Only a few of my razors rise to the level of the Wolfman. My highest group is composed only of razors I think of as Daily Drivers. Few make it into that group. It's not a matter of what they cost, but only of how they shave me, and how much I like using them.

I own at least one perfectly great razor which I bought as a vintage on eBay which turned out to be absolutely an excellent shaver. I never use it. I find it boring.

Truth is I am like many others here a hobbyist as well as a seeker of the Holy Grail Pegasus Unicorn of razors.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I have yet to sell a razor but I will be selling a bunch of my razors that aren’t getting used on the BST soon.

Some of the ones going on the block…

- Karve with SB C/D plates - Too mild for me and I have a second Karve (Like Grandpa branded) with OC-D and SB-F plates I am keeping.

- Razorock GameChanger with SB and Jaws .68 and .84 (4 plates) - Great razor but I prefer my aggressive Wolfman and Karve razors.

- Merkur Progress - Nice razor but I never get a close enough or smooth enough shave.

- Wilkinson Sword TTO - Good starter razor but I have razors I just prefer.

- Weishi TTO - Same as above. Might keep it as a travel razor.

Top Bottom