What's new

Where is the Tallow?!

"You seem to be confused by chemistry and also by ingredient labels. Laurates are soaps (not synthetic detergents). The parent chemical is lauric acid, a medium chain saturated fatty acid with 12 carbons. Lauric acid literally grows on trees. The major sources of lauric acid in the world are coconut oil and palm kernel oil (~50% of the oil is lauric acid). It is a natural material."

Screenshot_20210806-170455.png

Last edited:
I've just been wet shaving for a few months, so I haven't tried all that many soaps, but tabac was one of my favorites, along with MWF. I guess MWF now stands alone at the top.

I also have a puck of TOBS. It is decent but not tabac/MWF good - post shave feel leaves me a little dried out/leathery feeling, but not quite as bad as Proraso white. Since I switched to shave first then shower, I thought I would try TOBS again and see how well it worked with my shower soap. I use Dr. Bronner's in the shower, which is a great soap. My conclusion - it for the most part solves the not so great post-shave.

I did order a replacement tabac puck from Amazon. Of course I have no idea what I'll get.

I had never heard of Pasteur Pharmacy until reading this thread, so I put in an order with them for 2 tabac replacement pucks, got the tallow version. Plus I got a 3rd tallow puck in the bowl from somewhere else, so including the one I'm using, that gives me about 3.75 pucks worth. I guess that will have to do. I like MWF just as well and it is easy to get, so all is good. The MWF scent is much more neutral/tame. The tabac scent was growing on me.

Pasteur threw in a sample of Strike Gold Shave. Never heard of that one; looking forward to trying it out. Pleasant scent, texture of the soap feels like it should be slick.

I don't have a hoarding problem. I don't have an acquisition disorder. I have a twenty year supply of tallow based Tabac which definitely is not a problem.

Thank you for the heads up! I scrambled after the Fine Accoutrements puck fiasco and it took months to obtain backups.
(Third listed ingredient "POTASSIUM TALLOWATE")

Tabac Tallow.jpg

This tallowey goodness showed up today. I have a lifetime supply at this point I hope. Anyways I still haven’t sent back the two refill pucks of the new formula, and got to thinking…I’ll send a new formula puck to one of the members free of charge to try side by side and write up a good analysis. I’m not articulate enough compared to some of the reviews I read on here so I figure I’ll sub it out. So someone let me know if they’re interested.
B9D419DB-09F8-41C0-9292-DE604D461AAA.jpeg

Last edited:
I had never heard of Pasteur Pharmacy until reading this thread, so I put in an order with them for 2 tabac replacement pucks, got the tallow version. Plus I got a 3rd tallow puck in the bowl from somewhere else, so including the one I'm using, that gives me about 3.75 pucks worth. I guess that will have to do. I like MWF just as well and it is easy to get, so all is good. The MWF scent is much more neutral/tame. The tabac scent was growing on me.

Pasteur threw in a sample of Strike Gold Shave. Never heard of that one; looking forward to trying it out. Pleasant scent, texture of the soap feels like it should be slick.
As of this afternoon Pastuer still had tallow refills and I was advised to order ASAP, which I did making sure to include a note requesting tallow. That will make it five pucks. Given my rotation that will be quite enough. I did order another of questionable composition on the Bay but it’s long overdue. I’ll probably request a refund

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"

I love your screen name, Lazarus. You want me to mail you a picture of Woodrow Wilson Smith?

FarmerTan

I don't have a hoarding problem. I don't have an acquisition disorder. I have a twenty year supply of tallow based Tabac which definitely is not a problem.

Thank you for the heads up! I scrambled after the Fine Accoutrements puck fiasco and it took months to obtain backups.
(Third listed ingredient "POTASSIUM TALLOWATE")

View attachment 1308033
Yeah, you will definitely win the Shavacolypse Sweepstakes my friend!

FarmerTan

This tallowey goodness showed up today. I have a lifetime supply at this point I hope. Anyways I still haven’t sent back the two refill pucks of the new formula, and got to thinking…I’ll send a new formula puck to one of the members free of charge to try side by side and write up a good analysis. I’m not articulate enough compared to some of the reviews I read on here so I figure I’ll sub it out. So someone let me know if they’re interested. View attachment 1308065
Jarhead, are you telling me that the sticks are now non tallow as well? Dang.

This tallowey goodness showed up today. I have a lifetime supply at this point I hope. Anyways I still haven’t sent back the two refill pucks of the new formula, and got to thinking…I’ll send a new formula puck to one of the members free of charge to try side by side and write up a good analysis. I’m not articulate enough compared to some of the reviews I read on here so I figure I’ll sub it out. So someone let me know if they’re interested. View attachment 1308065
I love the generosity I routinely see here. Respectfully not in on this one, though. No more Tabac for me until the puck I just opened is finished, which will take many months.

old_school PM’d me a great idea! If people are interested they can send me a self addressed stamped envelope and I’ll scoop 5-10 grams of the new formula Tabac into a sandwich bag and send it back to you in your envelope. Let me know if y’all are interested. I guess this way will let many members try the new formula without having to buy it.

I'm all set for a very very very long time loving tallow Tabac and another 6 more refill pucks coming soon in the mail from my brother who also LOVES Tabac, however, my brother doesn't know I'm already stocked up.

2 travel sticks
6 refill sticks
6 refill pucks, plus 6 more comings soon in the mail (12 in total)

proxy.php

Last edited:

FarmerTan

I'm all set for a very very very long time loving tallow Tabac and another 6 more refill pucks coming soon in the mail from my brother who also LOVES Tabac, however, my brother doesn't know I'm already stocked up.

2 travel sticks
6 refill sticks
6 refill pucks, plus 6 more comings soon in the mail (12 in total)

proxy.php
I tell ya what I'll do, seein's how much you love Arko August an' all....

I'll trade you one Arko stick for every two Tabac sticks you want to get rid of, my "Gung Ho Arko" friend!

FarmerTan

That would be great! My books have gone AWOL after my last move...
It might be a little while, but I will get one to you my friend, from a paperback copy of he and Lapis Lazuli and Lorili Lee in the cockpit of the Dora (spelling?) from the first Heinlein book I read in the late 70's.... It's here somewhere!

Top Bottom