What's new

World’s Mildest (New) Razor?

Timeless matte ti 0.68 on order based on these great reviews and my gravitation back to mild razors since I got the Yates 921-M. Have had Timeless razors in the past so know how good they are. Thanks Kennyg!

In my experience, the Yates 921-M has a great combination of substantial weight, mild blade gap (.025" (.64mm) with neutral blade exposure), perfect head shape, easy to find shaving angle, and reasonable price. I can get perfectly close shaves without the aggression of some of my other more efficient razors, so the more efficient razors are going to go. Can't wait to compare the Timeless and see whether it beats out the Yates as my ultimate keeper or not.

Thanks again for all the time and work you put into this - it is a great resource for the B&B community.

Reactions: ewk
It's hard to imagine anything milder than the RazoRock Mamba .53. It's my go to razor for days where I've got some lingering irritation from prior shaves. I've never tried the Masamune though.
But there’s the Weishi 9306. Doesn’t shave at all. Like it has no blade. Nothing. Zip. Zero.

In my experience, the Yates 921-M has a great combination of substantial weight, mild blade gap (.025" (.64mm) with neutral blade exposure), perfect head shape, easy to find shaving angle, and reasonable price. I can get perfectly close shaves without the aggression of some of my other more efficient razors, so the more efficient razors are going to go.
I have the very same experience with the Yates 921M. Super efficient, super comfortable, and has me wondering which razors I will never use again.

Does getting a scalloped bar make any difference to performance? Which did you get? Is there any downside to polished other than cost?

I recall Timeless saying the solid bar was a little milder than the scalloped bar and so I have ordered the sold bar. I’ve ordered it with the scalloped head, which I don’t think will have any effect on the shave vs. the smooth head. I like the looks of the scalloped head.

RazoRock Baby Smooth...
1627913258929.png

Does getting a scalloped bar make any difference to performance? Which did you get? Is there any downside to polished other than cost?
I have all 3 bars in the .68
the straight and comb are polished the scallop is the matte not sure it makes much difference in end result a tiny bit in feel on the face

yes its a touch better performance I feel than the straight and not as much as the comb I wrote up some on this in another thread cant find it now :)

BUT the audible feedback is more toward the comb which I like that audio feedback
the actual performance is more like the straight than the comb

I find I tend to just go for the comb over the straight when I want that bit more and when I want less I tend to just jump to the straight ? now if I only had ONE the scallop might be a great single setup again one has to try them and see what they like

I am going to try the 95 plates just so I know but that is another thing and who knows what I will think I might start out with the scallop knowing its the mid ground and I love love love the looks of them with the scalloped cap but I love the way the combs get those tough whiskers in the tough spots so again might end up with a dual comb straight/comb as the ultimate flip of the wrist while shaving

I used my Yates 921-M again last night and was reminded of what a great mild razor it is. And while I've traditionally had a preference for titanium razors, somehow the weight of the Yates razors works for me.

Yates has also made two razors for the Wet Shaving Club - the Merica Razor and the Winning Razor. They give me great shaves as well.

Rob at WSC says that the Merica razor is the mildest of the three razors, and the Winning Razor is the most efficient - somewhere between the Yates 921-M and the Yates 921-H, leaning towards the 921-M

These razors, together with the Timeless Ti SB .68, are the ones I am using the most right now. They have a mild feeling and, especially in the case of the Winning Razor, are capable of giving close smooth shaves. I'm thinking of venturing into the Yates 921-H (and using more of the Winning Razor) to see if I can get a comfortable shave with fewer passes, because they are so good. But that is a story for another day.

I used my Yates 921-M again last night and was reminded of what a great mild razor it is. And while I've traditionally had a preference for titanium razors, somehow the weight of the Yates razors works for me.

Yates has also made two razors for the Wet Shaving Club - the Merica Razor and the Winning Razor. They give me great shaves as well.

Rob at WSC says that the Merica razor is the mildest of the three razors, and the Winning Razor is the most efficient - somewhere between the Yates 921-M and the Yates 921-H, leaning towards the 921-M

These razors, together with the Timeless Ti SB .68, are the ones I am using the most right now. They have a mild feeling and, especially in the case of the Winning Razor, are capable of giving close smooth shaves. I'm thinking of venturing into the Yates 921-H (and using more of the Winning Razor) to see if I can get a comfortable shave with fewer passes, because they are so good. But that is a story for another day.

The Yates M-921 is a great razor and one I use often. Always amazed at the quality of shave I get with it.

I shaved with the yates again the other day :) nice razor
I think the straight bar timeless 68 is more comfy smooth to my face
the 68 timeless Ti comb the best balance so far for me
the GC 68 is more efficient than both from the shave the other day with it

ditto less passes I do want to get a 95 bar for the timeless razor to see what that does
my 68 comb is still my daily go to and happy but this is so much fun

I have the very same experience with the Yates 921M. Super efficient, super comfortable, and has me wondering which razors I will never use again.

Also agree. When I say that a particular razor will make me want to never use other razors again I always put a time frame on it like for the next two weeks or two months :).

Reactions: ewk

ditto less passes I do want to get a 95 bar for the timeless razor to see what that does

I am also thinking of getting a .95 plate for my Timeless. It's been taking me a lot of passes to get smooth shaven under and around my chin still, and in a few other touch up places. If the 0.95 Timeless were anything like the smoothness of the 0.68, it might be a good solution, or maybe a good thing to use on alternating days. Or maybe for just the touch up areas.

YUP same spot for me under and up around jaw line of chin

the yates I have a dual comb/scallop plate and I read a few posts of folks having dual plates with timeless
I do say I love the flip and get a dif feel and makes the shave a bit more efficient

have to say I can see that dual maybe as the ONE base rather than what do I feel like when I get up and choose the straight or comb
so those times I want a bit more smooth or a bit more cut down in a straight /comb flip it and be done :)

I am mostly using the comb as its comfy but I could see the extra passes/buff on the tough spots being with the straight more comfy in the end

I have the Yates dual comb plate also. But sometimes when I use to open comb side, I try too hard to get everything in one pass and end up with irritation. It's a technique problem, but I seem to do better with closed combs that are a little more efficient rather than with open combs. Still trying to figure out what works best for me though.

I am also thinking of getting a .95 plate for my Timeless. It's been taking me a lot of passes to get smooth shaven under and around my chin still, and in a few other touch up places. If the 0.95 Timeless were anything like the smoothness of the 0.68, it might be a good solution, or maybe a good thing to use on alternating days. Or maybe for just the touch up areas.

If the 0.95 Timeless were anything like the smoothness of the 0.68, it might be a good solution, or maybe a good thing to use on alternating days.
You may want to start off with the Med Prep blades as they are the narrowest commonly available blades. It should reduce the exposure to near zero, but give you the advantage of the larger gap. Then, maybe something like a Personna Platinum which isn't the widest.

Good to know - thanks APB. I have the Personna Platinums (but not the Med Preps) and will try those while I'm waiting for the Med Preps to arrive.

You may want to start off with the Med Prep blades as they are the narrowest commonly available blades. It should reduce the exposure to near zero, but give you the advantage of the larger gap. Then, maybe something like a Personna Platinum which isn't the widest.
Alternatively, put a Kai blade in. 68, to increase blade exposure, as Kai blades are a little wider than other blades.

Top Bottom