What's new

A health update- listen to your body

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Due to the nature of this subforum (aka smoking), I have been reluctant to post much about what I am dealing with now. I have a cancerous tumor in my stomach. While smoking does not help, it is not the main driver of this type of cancer. Those would be acid reflux, obesity, and a diet low in fruits and vegetables. I caught it early- because, just for once in my life, I decided to get my butt to the doctor and not put off getting my symptoms checked out. It got caught in stage 2- the doctor said a lot of patients put off getting this type checked out until much later. So, what were my symptoms? It started with a constant dull ache (about a 2 out of 10) behind my diaphragm. After a couple weeks it turned into maybe a 3, with a sharp jabby 5 to 7 when I ate. This made me get to the doctor and get scoped. I got my colonoscopy (another very important screening) at the same time, too.

My main reason for posting this encourage people to get to your doctor when you know something is not right. Us men tend to be a little bit stubborn in this department. Luckily, I was not in this case. Even though I am stage 2, the treatment is not going to be fun. On Monday I start my first round of Chemo. I will have 4 treatments over an 8 week period. After a short rest, my stomach will be removed. What I can and cannot eat will not be affected, just the quantity. After that, I have another 4 rounds (8 weeks) of Chemo. On the down side, this is going to knock me down a few notches for a bit. On the up side, I will finally lose that weight I have been needing to lose for a while. Since I have no other health issue (like diabetes or high blood pressure), my recovery chances are a lot better.

The wife made me sell off most of my pipes. I agreed that I would do it (didn't want to, since the pipe likely wasn't the cause), but I told her that I will use the money for what I want- a Springfield Armory 1911 (now to actually locate one :) ). Now I have to figure out how to get rid of 20 or so pounds of jarred tobacco. I know some sites will buy aged tobacco in tins- anyone know about jarred?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Sorry Owen. I'm glad you caught it early.

I'd offer to help you with your rifle purchase, but you know, all your stuff stinks.
Funny thing is- I probably have more combined Virginia and Va-Burs than that stinky Latakia :lol: Seriously though, not trolling here for sales- that is strictly verboten.
@oc_in_fw

Thank you for sharing your update and your sage advice as well. Prayers to you for a speedy recovery and for you to defeat this disease. May you and your family remain strong during this time.
I am an incredibly stubborn man. :)

Best wishes on your treatments and positive outcomes over the long haul. And, that is one nice looking handgun!

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Due to the nature of this subforum (aka smoking), I have been reluctant to post much about what I am dealing with now. I have a cancerous tumor in my stomach. While smoking does not help, it is not the main driver of this type of cancer. Those would be acid reflux, obesity, and a diet low in fruits and vegetables. I caught it early- because, just for once in my life, I decided to get my butt to the doctor and not put off getting my symptoms checked out. It got caught in stage 2- the doctor said a lot of patients put off getting this type checked out until much later. So, what were my symptoms? It started with a constant dull ache (about a 2 out of 10) behind my diaphragm. After a couple weeks it turned into maybe a 3, with a sharp jabby 5 to 7 when I ate. This made me get to the doctor and get scoped. I got my colonoscopy (another very important screening) at the same time, too.

My main reason for posting this encourage people to get to your doctor when you know something is not right. Us men tend to be a little bit stubborn in this department. Luckily, I was not in this case. Even though I am stage 2, the treatment is not going to be fun. On Monday I start my first round of Chemo. I will have 4 treatments over an 8 week period. After a short rest, my stomach will be removed. What I can and cannot eat will not be affected, just the quantity. After that, I have another 4 rounds (8 weeks) of Chemo. On the down side, this is going to knock me down a few notches for a bit. On the up side, I will finally lose that weight I have been needing to lose for a while. Since I have no other health issue (like diabetes or high blood pressure), my recovery chances are a lot better.

The wife made me sell off most of my pipes. I agreed that I would do it (didn't want to, since the pipe likely wasn't the cause), but I told her that I will use the money for what I want- a Springfield Armory 1911 (now to actually locate one :) ). Now I have to figure out how to get rid of 20 or so pounds of jarred tobacco. I know some sites will buy aged tobacco in tins- anyone know about jarred?

Very fine advice. Many Stage 3 and 4 cancers that become a life fight were once Stage 1, and were successfully treatable. But many men foolishly tough it out through that earlier window, or put off preventative medicine that catch it before it starts. Get those colonoscopies and see your doctor if it doesn’t feel right.

If not for yourself, do it for your family. It’s very hard on those you love, too. Maybe worse so.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I could have sworn when I read this last night you wanted a Springfield M1A, hence the rifle comment. My wife is convinced that I don't actually know how to read.
Mine says I don’t listen.
Very fine advice. Many Stage 3 and 4 cancers that become a life fight were once Stage 1, and were successfully treatable. But many men foolishly tough it out through that earlier window, or put off preventative medicine that catch it before it starts. Get those colonoscopies and see your doctor if it doesn’t feel right.

If not for yourself, do it for your family. It’s very hard on those you love, too. Maybe worse so.
Probably worse for the family.
Keep on truckin', Owen!

Which hospital are you using...if you don't mind me asking.
My oncologist is in Keller, and she has a couple surgeons that she prefers. I picked the one at UT Southwest in Dallas. It is out of network, which means I am facing a $4k deductible, but that really doesn’t enter into the equation for me. If she says that she wants him to do it, then he is going to do it.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
My oncologist is in Keller, and she has a couple surgeons that she prefers. I picked the one at UT Southwest in Dallas. It is out of network, which means I am facing a $4k deductible, but that really doesn’t enter into the equation for me. If she says that she wants him to do it, then he is going to do it.

Good point. My local small town doc. here recommended a surgeon at Baylor in Plano for a little surgery I had a few weeks ago (already about back to normal) and I listened. Glad I did.

Your oncologist has your best interests at heart.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I have a Springfield 1911 range officer.
Adjustable rear sight so purely a target pistol, though I guess you could carry it if you really wanted to. Nice beaver tail, skelotonized hammer etc. Lots of “custom” parts for very little money. Was under 600.00 when I got it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 10

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I have a Springfield 1911 range officer.
Adjustable rear sight so purely a target pistol, though I guess you could carry it if you really wanted to. Nice beaver tail, skelotonized hammer etc. Lots of “custom” parts for very little money. Was under 600.00 when I got it.
Very nice.

Excellent advice! I was diagnosed with crohn's disease when I was 14-15yrs old. Living with it has definitely taught me the importance of being in tune with ones body and what it is telling you.

I'll be praying for you Owen 👍. For strength during your treatments and a speedy recovery.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Godspeed and grace for a good outcome. Thank you for sharing.
Excellent advice! I was diagnosed with crohn's disease when I was 14-15yrs old. Living with it has definitely taught me the importance of being in tune with ones body and what it is telling you.

I'll be praying for you Owen 👍. For strength during your treatments and a speedy recovery.
Thank you
The Simmons cancer center at UT Southwest is one of the best in the county. You’ll be in good hands.
That’s what I hear, also. The chemo will be done in Keller, the surgery at Simmons. They put the port in on Thursday- seem like good people there.

Top Bottom