What's new

BIC Chrome Platinum - Amazing Blades

I have a tough beard and sensitive skin. BIC Chrome Platinum blades are some of my favorites. They are super sharp, so they slice through my beard, but they are smooth enough to be used without irritating my skin. Of course, for many people, they are going to be too sharp to use in an aggressive razor.

I question the comment by @albsat about the BICs not working in a Rockwell 6S. Since the razor comes with six plates allowing the razor to be adjusted, I would have thought at least one of the plates would have worked with BICs. If he only tried one of the more aggressive plates, then I can understand the blade not working.

One thing I will say about BIC blades is that they will let you know very quickly if your shaving technique is deficient. You need a good lather and a good technique.
They worked fine in my 6S and the #4 plate. Remember, YMMV.

The first time I used it, it was great. The second time around, I found it too rough. I think there's quality control problem with these.

Reactions: saj
Couple of years ago I got 100 Bic blades from an E-Bay seller. at $9 per hundred they were likely stolen. I liked them well enough that I bought 200 more. Bics work in all my vintage Gillettes and Schicks, although I've decided to dedicate my Krona to Persona Lab Blues.

The first time I used it, it was great. The second time around, I found it too rough. I think there's quality control problem with these.
That's the amazing thing about blades how everyones experience can be so different and how blades can be just such a subjective thing

Couple of years ago I got 100 Bic blades from an E-Bay seller. at $9 per hundred they were likely stolen. I liked them well enough that I bought 200 more. Bics work in all my vintage Gillettes and Schicks, although I've decided to dedicate my Krona to Persona Lab Blues.
That must've been a fair few years ago as it's about £15 in the uk at the moment to get 100 Bic chrome platinums

That's the amazing thing about blades how everyones experience can be so different and how blades can be just such a subjective thing
My response was that quality is not consistent so my experience was itself inconsistent.

I think your comment is more on the lines of depending on razor, skin type, prep method, etc. some people may have a better or worse experience than others for a given blade.

If quality control is indeed an issue (and I have seen several reviews dinging the Bic to that effect) then it becomes even harder to evaluate a blade.

I get inconsistent quality with the two blades where I have used hundreds (KAI and Gillette Platinum) but it is rare and the quality difference between best and worst is not so much that I think I'm shaving with a completely different blade.

My response was that quality is not consistent so my experience was itself inconsistent.

I think your comment is more on the lines of depending on razor, skin type, prep method, etc. some people may have a better or worse experience than others for a given blade.

If quality control is indeed an issue (and I have seen several reviews dinging the Bic to that effect) then it becomes even harder to evaluate a blade.

I get inconsistent quality with the two blades where I have used hundreds (KAI and Gillette Platinum) but it is rare and the quality difference between best and worst is not so much that I think I'm shaving with a completely different blade.
Yea that's what I meant mate 👍

Also I've read about QC issues with voskhod blades too, I know which other blades have these issues too

I have had several tucks of bic platinum chrome blades for 6 month. On Monday I decided to try them and was very impressed.

I normally use Gillette nacet blades in my GC OC and Jaws .84. I normally use the GC OC base plate on the first 2 shaves and then move onto the JAWS base plate for the remaining shaves.

The bic blades seemed just as sharp on the first shave as the nacet but a bit smoother. On the 2nd and 3rd shaves the bic's felt as sharp a new feather but still very smooth, unlike a new feather for me.

I will be interested to see how long the bic blades last before going down hill. As from the 1st to the 3rd shave the blade was only getting better. I wish I tried these bic platinum chrome blades earlier.

Had 6 great shaves on my 1st Bic platinum chrome and no signs of tugging/dropping off yet. Normally I would feel a slight drop off from shave 5 or 6 on a nacet and change it at after the 7th shave.

I am so impressed I have ordered 100 Bic platinum chrome blades. Bic Australia sell them direct on Amazon at a good price for over here.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I got 2 Bics from the Great Blade Exchange. I have read mostly good things about them and was eager to try them. My first couple strokes felt (seemingly) sharp, but as I continued I noticed a lot of tugging. I 'finished' (I use the term more than loosely) the first pass on one cheek then checked to see what the stubble reduction was like . . . I was astonished to feel practically no reduction whatsoever. I went over the other cheek -- same thing. I really had to push myself to complete an entire pass with this blade. I was (still am) completely befuddled by how it could fail so utterly. I can't say it was painful, and I didn't get any nicks, but it wasn't comfortable and there was, near as I could tell, precious little stubble reduction.

I removed the blade after that first pass and put in a Nacet, another blade I got from the GBE. That was the polar opposite of the Bic -- smooth, sharp, zero tugging.

Maybe I got a bad blade. I gave the other blade to my son to try to see what he thinks of it. I really wanted to like the Bics, but based on that pass alone I can't see myself going back for seconds.

This was my experience with these blades also...it was so bad...pulling and tugging, that I could not even finish the shave with it. I swapped it out and finished with another blade. Could I have gotten a bad blade...I suppose anything is possible, but I won't be trying these out again anytime soon. And finding experiences like these in several posts on the forums, there must be some kind of quality control issue with them.

It seems to be a love-it-or-hate-it kind of blade. I got a bunch from Gifts & Care in Spain and they have been excellent. No tugging or pulling, also get quite a lot of shaves from each BIC blade. The blades do seem to become more smooth after the first shave.

It seems to be a love-it-or-hate-it kind of blade.

That's the impression I got about the bic platinum chrome blades before I tried them.
Half the people can't praise them enough. Then the other half seem to hate them with a real passion.
It even made me wonder If half the bic platinum chrome blades out there are fakes, and the other half are genuine.

That's the impression I got about the bic platinum chrome blades before I tried them.
Half the people can't praise them enough. Then the other half seem to hate them with a real passion.
It even made me wonder If half the bic platinum chrome blades out there are fakes, and the other half are genuine.

That's what I'm thinking, too. It's got to be either a QC or fakes issue, as just about all of us have been shaving long enough now that issues can't be chalked up to technique, soap, razor, moon phase, etc.. Unfortunately, I had an absolutely awful experience with this blade (purchased from a try-a-blade site) and had to invent new swear words to describe just how horrible it was. It almost felt like I could let go of the razor mid-stroke and it would just hang there in my stubble. It couldn't have been the same blade everyone else raves about.

I'd happily send $2 to someone for a single blade from an open tuck that's working for them. I think that's the only way I could know I'm not trying a fake or bad blade.

I tried them recently and have had very disappointing results, with a lot of burn and irritation. I switched blades after a few tries with the Bic and it must be some issue of combination or just not a good fit for me. I'm about to ditch the rest of the Bics to make way for a few replacements, thankfully, they are not expensive or a hard write-off.

Generally for me very good but a caveat...I suspect there might be a variance in quality control and have had slightly different performance issues myself. But of course like everything about this hobby it is all subjective! #YMMV

Not used a Bic de blade for a while, might give one a blast on the next head shave

Top Bottom