What's new

Where is the Tallow?!

Right. Test it first. Different might be enough to turn people off. Different doesn’t equal better. However I don’t think you can blame the vegan “fad” as I don’t think the new formula is vegan.
When I use "fad" I mean people that think they´re Vegan but they really aren't. They just consume based on the big marketing labels and don´t read the ingredients at detail...

Cheers

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I'll just add that because someone believes something to be true doesn't mean that they are "fearful" or "panicking" or subscribe to a "conspiracy theory".
Is there anyone who actually believes that there are a smaller number of people who are looking for animal free products today than there were 10 or 20 years ago? I suggest not.
Is there anyone who actually believes that there are a larger percentage of the population that are moving towards beef consumption today than there were 10 or 20 years ago? I suggest not.
The increased demand for animal free products, the decrease in beef consumption due to health concerns, the rising cost of beef production, and the increased demand for animal fat in the production of biodiesel for addition to petroleum fuel are all factors which has likely made it an easier decision by companies to move away from animal based byproducts.
No conspiracy theory here.

That sentence is from a corporate PR statement about sustainability.

Yes. I said that.

luvmysuper said:
From the Maurer & Wirtz corporate sustainability website

"For us, this also includes the production of 100% vegan fragrances in the future; we have already started producing such fragrances."

Because it is a corporate PR statement about sustainability doesn't make the statement untrue.

Last edited:
From the Maurer & Wirtz corporate sustainability website

"For us, this also includes the production of 100% vegan fragrances in the future; we have already started producing such fragrances."
Their PR statement sort of reminds of "cholesterol-free" vegetable oil.

Makes me wonder when (if ever) any of their fragrances was non-vegan;
natural/animal-derived scent ingredients tend to be more expensive (e.g. ambergris).

I'll just add that because someone believes something to be true doesn't mean that they are "fearful" or "panicking" or subscribe to a "conspiracy theory".
Is there anyone who actually believes that there are a smaller number of people who are looking for animal free products today than there were 10 or 20 years ago? I suggest not.
Is there anyone who actually believes that there are a larger percentage of the population that are moving towards beef consumption today than there were 10 or 20 years ago? I suggest not.
The increased demand for animal free products, the decrease in beef consumption due to health concerns, the rising cost of beef production, and the increased demand for animal fat in the production of biodiesel for addition to petroleum fuel are all factors which has likely made it an easier decision by companies to move away from animal based byproducts.
No conspiracy theory here.

Yes. I said that.

Because it is a corporate PR statement about sustainability doesn't make the statement untrue.

Certainly no need to conjure up such theories! I agree with the point that biofuels add to animal byproduct costs, plus world meat consumption has steadily risen over the last 20 years. There is a higher demand for meat in China and certain other countries due to increased affluence. This also adds to the increase in cost for meat, where production is becoming more concentrated in oligarchic companies. To me, it looks like it's all about cost savings in business lines that they view as peripheral.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Certainly no need to conjure up such theories! I agree with the point that biofuels ad to animal byproduct costs. World meat consumption has steadily risen over the last 20 years. There is a higher demand for meat in China and certain other countries due to increased affluence. This also adds to the increase in cost for meat, where production is becoming more concentrated in oligarchic companies. To me, it looks like it's all about cost savings in business lines that they view as peripheral.

I agree. I think it's cost related, and the reasons for cost increases are a number of issues combined.

I posted this in another thread, but figured I'd add it here as well. Curious to get your thoughts. I suppose it wouldn't conform with M&W's PR stance on sustainability though...

"What I wish Maurer & Wirtz had done instead though is take a page out of Cella's book and maintain the original as is but come out with a second vegan option in another scent (i.e. Cella's "Extra Extra Bio"). Tabac has a range of other fragrances under the label already (The Fragrances of the Brand Tabac – Mäurer & Wirtz - https://www.m-w.de/en/brands/tabac/, worth a look), they could have easily chosen one of these for the vegan option and left the original unchanged. Truthfully, I think this may have been the smarter business decision purely from the standpoint of overall sales -- the original scent is polarizing and turns off a fair number of potential customers who are otherwise intrigued by the performance of the soap -- not to mention that it would avoid the risk of alienating a very loyal existing customer base."

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I personally think that Maurer & Wirtz sees their future as a fragrance producer.
Their posted history clearly shows them as a company that started as a soap maker, but have moved into the fragrance market.
Through recent purchases of other fragrance makers they are certainly moving in that direction.
I believe they don't much care whether people like or want their shaving soap, which to them was an almost insignificant niche market.

Thanks. Yes, it really is something special! I feel fortunate to live in Bellingham (and I actually work in Blaine)
I was just talking with my wife about Blaine, thinking it may have fallen on hard times now that Canadian dollars aren’t flowing as freely into its cash registers.

What are you doing with all that cheese/gas/booze/chicken/milk/cigarettes that Canadians can’t cross to shop for?

I personally think that Maurer & Wirtz sees their future as a fragrance producer.
Their posted history clearly shows them as a company that started as a soap maker, but have moved into the fragrance market.
Through recent purchases of other fragrance makers they are certainly moving in that direction.
I believe they don't much care whether people like or want their shaving soap, which to them was an almost insignificant niche market.

The sad truth is that you're probably right.

I was being slightly tongue-in-cheek after some of the comments in this thread saying basically: "Because of those friggin' woke vegans we can't have nice things." I find that pretty unconvincing. If somebody wants animal-free consmetics that does not make them vegan, or woke, especially if most are chowing down on 60kg of meat and 250kg of dairy each year! The percentage of the German population that actually is vegan is extremely small.

Cherry-picking from the available facts does not make for accuracy, either. It seems like accuracy would be a good goal to shoot for.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I was being slightly tongue-in-cheek after some of the comments in this thread saying basically: "Because of those friggin' woke vegans we can't have nice things." I find that pretty unconvincing. If somebody wants animal-free consmetics that does not make them vegan, or woke, especially if most are chowing down on 60kg of meat and 250kg of dairy each year! The percentage of the German population that actually is vegan is extremely small.

Cherry-picking from the available facts does not make for accuracy, either. It seems like accuracy would be a good goal to shoot for.

I'll admit that I did cherry pick the statement, but to be fair, I cherry picked that statement because it was the only one related to the discussion.

A good read on palm oil: How the world got hooked on palm oil - https://www.theguardian.com/news/2019/feb/19/palm-oil-ingredient-biscuits-shampoo-environmental

Palm oil is cheap, abundant and versatile. It’s cultivation also results in clear cutting rainforests, the death of orangutans and Sumatran tigers, and the displacement of some this planet’s last original people.
I was in Malaysia quite some years ago. One thing that stood out if you were driving through the countryside was vast plantations of oil palm trees. Where once there might have been forests, there was row after orderly row of palm trees, all about the same size. No other kinds of trees and not many other plants, just uniform rows of palm trees. No place for wild animals to live.

I didn't get a chance to go to Sumatra. In those days, it was largely wild forests. Back then, there was a problem with illegal harvesting of exotic timber.

After some research, I found out that I have some of the hardest water in the country. This would explain why I've been getting poor lather and slickness both from the new Tabac formula and my D. R. Harris puck.
I found some baking soda in the kitchen and decided to add a little to my water. Turns out it made a big difference to the quality of the lather... After I loaded the new puck of Tabac, I had no problems getting a dense and slick lather; it felt quite slick as I ran my fingers through it. I didn't get to do a test shave because I had already shaved earlier today, but I might test it in the next few days.

Seems like the previous formula performed much better with my hard water. I'm curious to see what kind of lather I can get out of my DRH puck.

Do you guys think it is a good idea to be using baking soda in my water?

shavefan

I’m not a fan
After some research, I found out that I have some of the hardest water in the country. This would explain why I've been getting poor lather and slickness both from the new Tabac formula and my D. R. Harris puck.
I found some baking soda in the kitchen and decided to add a little to my water. Turns out it made a big difference to the quality of the lather... After I loaded the new puck of Tabac, I had no problems getting a dense and slick lather; it felt quite slick as I ran my fingers through it. I didn't get to do a test shave because I had already shaved earlier today, but I might test it in the next few days.

Seems like the previous formula performed much better with my hard water. I'm curious to see what kind of lather I can get out of my DRH puck.

You could try distilled water too. I'm not sure about the baking soda, doesn't that make it more alkaline?

You can use Citric Acid. It's a white powder, usually in the canning supplies section in stores.

Distilled water, like @shavefan suggested, is around $1/gallonat the supermarket. You can just pour it into a bowl on the bathroom counter to soak your brush and lather with. It doesn't take a whole lot.

You can use Citric Acid. It's a white powder, usually in the canning supplies section in stores.

Distilled water, like @shavefan suggested, is around $1/gallonat the supermarket. You can just pour it into a bowl on the bathroom counter to soak your brush and lather with. It doesn't take a whole lot.

Sure, I might try some distilled water. Do you see anything wrong in using baking soda?

Top Bottom