What's new

Green Irish Tweed

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I don't know if I have even ever smelled the stuff, but I know getting a bottle past the lovely War Department is nigh impossible.

SO..... I'm looking for "clones" or "homages" if you will that any of y'all find acceptable.

Thank you in advance, Dave

I used to love Stirling SDM, but for some reason the scent has come to remind me of Cheerios. Stale ones at that. If I have a headache or an upset stomach, the stuff makes either condition a little worse. I don't think I'm allergic; I bought and wore it last year without any trouble. But something about it now . . . not exciting.

I guess this is a call for @gwsmallwood #aka Mr Irish Tweed 😉

I tried to find his recent thread which fully covered the topic but wasn't able to...🤷‍♂️

My post was taken down because I posted my videos. Not sure why they didn't just remove the videos, but regardless, you have to go to my YT channel to find my reviews.

@FarmerTan I'm assuming you're looking for frag dupes and not soaps/aftershaves based on where you posted. There are only a few cologne/EdT/EdP dupes that I've tried. There are TONS of others out there.
- WSP Gaelic Tweed
- Stirling Sharp Dressed Man
- Armaf Tres Nuit Pour Homme

I'm partial to the scent of Sharp Dressed Man, but the other two are very good. Gaelic Tweed and Tres Nuit smell very similar to my nose, but WSP has better staying power than Armaf.

Davidoff Cool Water

I think it's interesting how many people find this similar. It's not to my nose. If you look at the scent notes, they are very different.

FarmerTan

Well....

I have an inbound sample of the real thing. One of the gents on here surprised me in my inbox with his generous offer, and I am literally drinking my percolated Aldi brand morning blend coffee with tears dripping in it.

I blame Covid aftereffects, lol. Or the fact that I was born with my kidneys too close to my eyeballs.

Or just the incredible love this place displays to a sinner like me.

Keep the suggestions coming please. I live for the fellowship and banter at this place. You all truly have no IDEA.

I think it's interesting how many people find this similar. It's not to my nose. If you look at the scent notes, they are very different.

I'm with you on this one, as a LOOOONG time user of DCW, it's not even close to GIT, totally different to my nose. I'd say the same about Coty Aspen, not even close... but that's just my nose.

From what I read, Armaf Tres Nuit seems like a solid clone but I haven’t sniffed it myself.

Cool Water is really nice, but toned down and more synthetic (2 attributes that are not necessarily bad things in my book)

Rasasi Egra is another notable option but for some reason it doesn’t work for me at all, a bit too bright and “Irish Spring”y

Irish A/S from Italian barber is a dead ringer. Also, before I bought a bottle of GIT cologne, I ordered a decant off the internets, as is my new MO after a few blind buys that did not work out. It is potent stuff - 1 or 2 spritzes and you are ready to go.

I have Armaf Tres Nuit. Overall, I like it quite a lot. The opening is a bit loud and brash, but after a few minutes it becomes really pleasant and lasts four or five hours, probably. It is not an exact clone of GIT, but very similar with no real faults. The price on sale was around $20 for 100ml. Unbeatable in the value-for-money column.

Last edited:

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
First, I'd get a small sample. Nothing quite like purchasing a whole bottle of something you don't like.

Then I'd consider a reasonable sized split from a reputable person. This is exactly what I did (split from Basenotes forum). I'd rather have the real deal and use it less often than something close to the real deal. But that's me, do what makes you happy.

FarmerTan

First, I'd get a small sample. Nothing quite like purchasing a whole bottle of something you don't like.

Then I'd consider a reasonable sized split from a reputable person. This is exactly what I did (split from Basenotes forum). I'd rather have the real deal and use it less often than something close to the real deal. But that's me, do what makes you happy.
I think I will eventually go this route.

But I'm glad I started this thread! Why?

I am a cheap date: face it I LIKE the smell of Arko! And Old Spice. And Brut....so buying some of youse guys recommendations is probably something I will do as well!

Just buy Cool Water. It's essentially the EDT formula of GIT (which is EDP). Both by Bourdon, both using copious amounts of dihydromyrcenol, both wonderful, and I actually prefer CW. Try to find a bottle that's roughly 5-10 yrs old if you can.

Top Bottom