What's new

Fitness watch?

I have recently begun looking into getting a fitness watch, but I am still on the fence, so I wanted to get some input from the brain trust. I have always worn a three-hand dive watch with an automatic movement and I have been happy with it.

I am now getting back into jogging, and I thought it would be nice to have something to keep track of mileage, heartbeat, calories burned, etc. I don't think I am interested in a smart watch per se, but perhaps just something I wear when I am jogging. I have heard good things about the Fitbit Charge 4. I am also wondering if it would be smart to spend a little more and and get an entry level Garmin or Coros. I may end wanting to wear a fitness watch all the time, and I think I would want something a little nicer than a Fitbit in that instance.

I would appreciate any guidance! :)

I have recently begun looking into getting a fitness watch, but I am still on the fence, so I wanted to get some input from the brain trust. I have always worn a three-hand dive watch with an automatic movement and I have been happy with it.

I am now getting back into jogging, and I thought it would be nice to have something to keep track of mileage, heartbeat, calories burned, etc. I don't think I am interested in a smart watch per se, but perhaps just something I wear when I am jogging. I have heard good things about the Fitbit Charge 4. I am also wondering if it would be smart to spend a little more and and get an entry level Garmin or Coros. I may end wanting to wear a fitness watch all the time, and I think I would want something a little nicer than a Fitbit in that instance.

I would appreciate any guidance! :)

If there is a chance you will wear it often, Apple Watch. It is a technological marvel on your wrist. Simply amazing what it can do.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I wear a Seamaster on my left wrist and a Fitbit Charge 3 on my right. I did not want to ditch my Omega for the fitness tracker so I chose the Fitbit as it is small enough so it does not look like I am wearing two watches. It is inexpensive but has all the functionality I need especially when paired with my phone app although the Charge 4 has more features. The Apple has even more functionality although I see that as a watch replacement and for me it would be too big to wear along with a regular watch. My wife also uses one and we compete with each other which is fun and encourages us both. You can make the Fitbit more dressy if needed by means of easily changed straps but I have never bothered.

Suunto Spartan Trainer works great for me. Hr monitor and everything else. You can probably get a good deal on the 'Bay.

• Love
Reactions: Anu

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I wear a Seamaster on my left wrist and a Fitbit Charge 3 on my right. I did not want to ditch my Omega for the fitness tracker so I chose the Fitbit as it is small enough so it does not look like I am wearing two watches. It is inexpensive but has all the functionality I need especially when paired with my phone app although the Charge 4 has more features. The Apple has even more functionality although I see that as a watch replacement and for me it would be too big to wear along with a regular watch. My wife also uses one and we compete with each other which is fun and encourages us both. You can make the Fitbit more dressy if needed by means of easily changed straps but I have never bothered.
If I was so inclined to get a fitness watch I’d go with this idea. Brilliant. That way you keep your regular watch. Or you have the option of removing the Fitbit when it’s not needed. I use my phone for distance traveled. I’m guessing that’s somewhat accurate but I’m not really sure.

If there is a chance you will wear it often, Apple Watch. It is a technological marvel on your wrist. Simply amazing what it can do.
I haven't completely written off the Apple Watch, and I'm sure I would love it if I got one (I'm a bit of an Apple fanboy), but I am leaning towards more of a dedicated fitness watch.

I’m a long time athlete as well as being a sports coach and personal trainer. From my perspective it’s really hard to beat Garmin watches for their combination of versatility, performance, reliability, ecosystem and accessories.

The only real challenge with Garmin IMO, is the decision on which watch to buy, since their line is rather expansive. I’ve been wearing the 935 pretty much 24/7 for over 3 years now and have been extremely happy with it, however it may or may not be the best model for your particular needs.

And FWIW, I’m heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem, but the Apple Watch, while having some cool features, just doesn’t cut it for me when it comes to a watch for athletic endeavors - too heavy, not well enough thought out with regards to control inputs while exercising, and it lacks many of the accurate metrics you can get from a Garmin device, particularly when paired with a Garmin chest strap that has an accelerometer providing running dynamics.

Also, if you want accurate exercise heart rate and estimated calorie burn info, you’re going to need to wear a chest strap while doing most types of exercise - don’t let the fitness watch companies convince you that you’ll get accurate HR from a wrist worn device while exercising because the technology isn’t there yet. Road or stationary cycling, yes. Hiking, maybe, sometimes, but running, weight lifting, boxing, MTB, swimming, and most other activities, no. The good watches will give pretty accurate HR readings throughout the day when not exercising though.

Hope you find something in all that helpful.

I’m a long time athlete as well as being a sports coach and personal trainer. From my perspective it’s really hard to beat Garmin watches for their combination of versatility, performance, reliability, ecosystem and accessories.

The only real challenge with Garmin IMO, is the decision on which watch to buy, since their line is rather expansive. I’ve been wearing the 935 pretty much 24/7 for over 3 years now and have been extremely happy with it, however it may or may not be the best model for your particular needs.

And FWIW, I’m heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem, but the Apple Watch, while having some cool features, just doesn’t cut it for me when it comes to a watch for athletic endeavors - too heavy, not well enough thought out with regards to control inputs while exercising, and it lacks many of the accurate metrics you can get from a Garmin device, particularly when paired with a Garmin chest strap that has an accelerometer providing running dynamics.

Also, if you want accurate exercise heart rate and estimated calorie burn info, you’re going to need to wear a chest strap while doing most types of exercise - don’t let the fitness watch companies convince you that you’ll get accurate HR from a wrist worn device while exercising because the technology isn’t there yet. Road or stationary cycling, yes. Hiking, maybe, sometimes, but running, weight lifting, boxing, MTB, swimming, and most other activities, no. The good watches will give pretty accurate HR readings throughout the day when not exercising though.

Hope you find something in all that helpful.
Wow, thanks for this fantastic information! Very helpful. I have been looking at Garmins, and I think most of them are more than I need in terms of features. The Coros Pace 2 gets outstanding reviews, and that is relatively inexpensive. Any experience with that one?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Be aware that in the case of the Fitbit, and I suspect for other fitness trackers, to get the most out of the device it is necessary to wear it most of the time, including overnight, and not just when exercising. This allows the device to collect data detailing sleep patterns, total calories used per day, total steps per day, resting heart rate and much more. You may want to consider this if you also want to wear a regular watch.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Check for Renewed watches on Amazon. A couple years ago I started doing triathlons and have been wearing a Garmin Fenix 5+ so I know exactly how slow I am. It's probably more than you want in a watch, but I did get a good deal on it on Amazon as a Renewed item. It was in mint condition, and other than coming in a different box it was as good as a new item for much less.

Wow, thanks for this fantastic information! Very helpful. I have been looking at Garmins, and I think most of them are more than I need in terms of features. The Coros Pace 2 gets outstanding reviews, and that is relatively inexpensive. Any experience with that one?

Sorry, no experience with the Coros watches.

Garmin Fenix 6s gets my vote. It does it all without the bulk. Great battery life too.

85950966-23D5-455F-8BE1-BB9818CB8783.jpeg

I've read some reviews on the Fenix, and it sounds like a beast! Do you wear this all the time, or just during your workouts?
Works outs and casual beater really. Lots of guys wear them full time but I like my mechanicals for day to day wear. It’s also my go to if I’m at the pool or beach. It’s a great little unit that does pretty much everything. Very robust too. I use the golf feature quite a bit. You can download pretty much every golf course and get distance to the green information. You can also score your game as you go which is handy. If you want it will do music and pay wave too but I don’t use that. It also connects to lots of external bike amd cadence sensors.

There are a few different models. I have pretty small wrists and opted for the 6s model. I think it’s a women’s model but it does look too girly. I’m not a fan of the extra bulk that comes from the bigger models.

Similar story for me. I wear an Omega Speedmaster on my left wrist and a Fitbit on my right. I started with a no longer made flex, than the no longer made new flex, then the no longer made Inspire HR and currently the Inspire 2. Based on the sales prices (Father’s Day sale) the Inspire 2 and Charge 4 were the same price. I chose the Inspire for the longer battery life.

I get heart rate monitoring, sleep monitoring, exercise identification and monitoring (it can tell when a elliptical is being used) and what I bought the original for, steps and distance. I have received their Pole to Pole badge meaning my various fitbits have tracked over 12,430 miles and am satisfied with their product.

The Omega is my watch and the Fitbit my step counter.

Well, after doing more research, I ended up getting an Apple Watch after all. I just got it, so I am still figuring things out, but I think I made the right decision for me. In terms of jogging and working out, there are plenty of great third party apps that do what I was looking for.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Top Bottom