What's new

My Guess... 3017

You are in for a treat, Sir. One of my all time favorites. If you are into menthol, I recommend to pair it with Proraso green preshave. This combo Always brings me nostalgic memories

Volabra tallow has always been in my top tier. First 2 shaves have been truly indulgent and the soap isn’t even hydrated yet. Super heavy, rich lather that’s more like cream than suds. That this soap isn’t made any more, in any form or under any moniker, is truly a travesty. I stocked up on volabra, AoS and C&S when they decided to stop making the tallow soaps and I’m very glad I did.

The value of “control shaves” where you revisit some of the greats to reset expectations has been discussed in this thread at various points. That is definitely a good practice. It’s important to keep the gold standard in mind when assessing soaps particularly if you 3017.

Thanks for the Proraso recommendation. I just set it out on the counter for tomorrow’s shave.

Super heavy, rich lather that’s more like cream than suds.
Fully agree. Unsurprisingly, if you read Valobra’s Italian website, you will read that they call their soap base “crema di sapone”, or cream of the soap

I still have fair amount of Valobra bath and shaving soaps, so I will be fine for a while, but I truly hope they bring it back sometime soon

So a couple months ago I went on a work trip for a few weeks. I took a brand new puck of AOS Tallow Sandalwood with me since if I can't be home, I at least like to have a great shave in the morning. It's been so good I haven't been able to quit using it. It's going to last another week or two I'd guess and I'll be sad when it's gone.

I've got one more puck of it that I'll try to avoid using for another year or so but my rule is usually to shave with the best soap I have. For a while I tried to use up mediocre soaps but decided life is too short for that. So my last puck of Valobra AOS might get to wait for a couple tubs of B&M to go first but it won't be that much longer.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I also used my B&B Essential Boar (Sue edition) for July and was thinking about bringing Oppenheimer, The Destroyer of Worlds Soaps, aka Chubby 2 Synth, out for August, but decided this morning to go instead with my @Graydog silvertip. Funny (scary?) how we are aligned.

Last edited:
9615AF7F-C697-4951-8790-54D534924651.jpeg

One shave left tomorrow. About 50 total. I squeezed enough cream for two shaves into the bottom of the scuttle and recovered half of it for tomorrow’s shave. Estoril has done much better since I figured out it needs very little water. Turned out to be a serviceable cream. Not sure where I’m headed next.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Bob/@beginish 's power of personality is so great that I am compelled to use my Chubby 2 synth with him through August. It's gotta be a Time Lord thing. :letterk1:

proxy.php

Soapwise, I am still rocking my Soapy Bathman Tropical Line. Started it mid-April and, after 3.5 months, I think I still have another 2 months to go on it.

Last edited:
Bob/@beginish 's power of personality is so great that I am compelled to use my Chubby 2 synth with him through August. It's gotta be a Time Lord thing. :letterk1:

proxy.php

Soapwise, I am still rocking my Soapy Bathman Tropical Line. Started it mid-April and, after 3.5 months, I think I still have another 2 months to go on it.

Pied Piper

My home-made soap (started with 120 gr) is down to a thin crust over the badger hair my cheap brush shed for a couple years, so it's almost gone. I'll be using Arko for August, then finish the home made stuff.

From there i will probably use the Col. Conk lime i started some time back just to use it up. Very very slick, I like it for blades that are getting to the end of their life, they pull less. Should be on that for six months or so, then I need to use up some other home-made soap. At the rate I was using this batch, I probably have soap for 30 or 40 years.....

First shave with Wilkinson Sword cream this morning. Actually, I think one shave is missing. I used it in Dusseldorf right after purchase. I used less cream than Estoril and recieved a denser, slicker lather. Scent is clean and fresh with a masculine spice undertone late. A budget cream with very good performance. I prefer the stick all around to the cream, though.

First shave with Wilkinson Sword cream this morning. Actually, I think one shave is missing. I used it in Dusseldorf right after purchase. I used less cream than Estoril and recieved a denser, slicker lather. Scent is clean and fresh with a masculine spice undertone late. A budget cream with very good performance. I prefer the stick all around to the cream, though.

Nice review. The stick is excellent, I've never tried the cream and was curious to hear your thoughts.

I stuck out the 3 months of no shaving except for neck and cheek lines. I like the end result, more importantly so does my wife. I am bearded and am now going for the half yeard. Still on my Godrej round which I started 4 maybe 5 months ago. Don’t see it finished anytime soon. All the best gentlemen, It’ll be a while before I post a kill next. Now to go look at beard balms and oil.🙂

Well I’m back. Lasted just under a year. My daughter is 3 months old and my wife has decided she needs to see me cleaned shaved for a while before I decide to beard up again. Starting with a quick and easy one. A well used tube of tabac cream. Took it for a spin this morning with a Berkeley. Lovely shave.🙂
E7E5352E-53A1-4A1F-BBE0-5CA67400BE16.jpeg

The recent Tabac drama tickled my need to stock up on what will soon be an unobtanium classic tallow soap. I peaked in my stash and saw the results of stocking up on Valobra and Haslinger tallow soaps, and the need to stock up on Tabac passed. I believe I'm finally past the SAD portion of this journey. I love all of the soaps I have on hand and feel no need to pick up anything else.

Palmolive cream update....its going surprisingly fast even after I got past the air bubble. Another week or so at best. I have to give some thought to whats next. I spent the winter with 2 grated pucks of Haslinger Schafmilch and it was a season of great shaves. I'm thinking about just dropping a single ungrated puck of Haslinger into a shaving mug for a quickish kill. Prepandemic shaving schedule a puck of Haslinger lasted me about 45 days. These days I'd expect a solid 2-3 months out of one. I could have it finished by American Thansgiving and either sandalwood or sage sounds like a nice Autumn scent. I live in the north country and its hard to believe that the last few weeks of Summer are upon is already.

Top Bottom