What's new

Where is the Tallow?!

What's next after tabacopalas, will simpsons stop making real badger hair brushes?

I am sorry to burst your bubble, but since 2008 Simpson has not been making their own brushes in England. In that year, the company was purchased by Progress Shaving Brush which also makes Vulfix brushes. Both brands are manufactured on the Isle of Man/Mann in the Irish Sea. The Isle of Mann is not part of either the United Kingdom nor the European Union. It is a self-governing British Crown Dependency. So, technically, Simpsons no longer makes real badger hair brushes, at least not in the UK.

No bubble to burst- you can certainly start a separate thread on that given that it's obviously irksome to you- I'd be interested in understanding why it matters.

I have 3 pucks of the tallow in hand and maybe half of one in a bowl. No idea how long it will last me but i refuse to go out of my way to buy a lifetime supply. If the formula changes and i don't like it then so be it. We have many alternatives- i'm not worried.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
While everyone knows that Simpson Brushes are made on the Isle of Man, you can't blame anyone for mentioning England, the UK or Great Britain when talking about Simpson Brushes because it's all over their brushes and all over their website.

Image1.jpg
img_1166.jpg
brush2.jpg

I am sorry to burst your bubble, but since 2008 Simpson has not been making their own brushes in England. In that year, the company was purchased by Progress Shaving Brush which also makes Vulfix brushes. Both brands are manufactured on the Isle of Man/Mann in the Irish Sea. The Isle of Mann is not part of either the United Kingdom nor the European Union. It is a self-governing British Crown Dependency. So, technically, Simpsons no longer makes real badger hair brushes, at least not in the UK.
This was news to me and I verified that the Isle of Man is not in the UK as you said. What is puzzling to me is that my Simpson brushes are all labeled Great Britain, except for the Wee Scot which is labeled as coming from England.

Funny that a man from Illinois would know more about this than the company located there.

What's next after tabacopalas, will simpsons stop making real badger hair brushes?

I am sorry to burst your bubble, but since 2008 Simpson has not been making their own brushes in England. So, technically, Simpsons no longer makes real badger hair brushes, at least not in the UK.

(rant mode on) Did I just read that? My goodness! People go out of their way completely misinterpreting a very simple text just to be picky about some useless point that hasn't even been mentioned by the original quote nor is the topic of the thread. Come on!

What is next? Simpsons has to use Yorkshire-raised, British accent-speaking badger to be able to claim they make real badger hair brushes in the UK? Get a life (/rant mode off)

Since we are on it, here are some fun facts about the İsle of Man and how "far" it is from the UK, physically, politically and socially:
- The distance between Liverpool and the Isle of Man is <100 miles
- The Isle of Man passport is a British passport
- The head of state is Queen Elizabeth II, also the queen of the United Kingdom
- The United Kingdom is responsible for the island's defence and ultimately for good governance
- There is no separate Manx citizenship. Citizenship is covered by UK law, and Manx people are classed as British citizens
- The currency used is the British pounds
- The main language of the Isle of Man is English

Source: wikipedia

Last edited:
I took the bait and just ordered a couple more Tabac puck refills and a shave stick after reading all these posts. Ingredient list looked like the old version. I hope that is the case.
Received my Tabac order last night - and all items were tallow-based! Looks like I ordered in time.

I also noticed that the shave stick is much larger than I expected. I was hoping to use it in my travel kit, but I might need to stick with Palmolive stick for that.

Received my Tabac order last night - and all items were tallow-based! Looks like I ordered in time.

I also noticed that the shave stick is much larger than I expected. I was hoping to use it in my travel kit, but I might need to stick with Palmolive stick for that.
It’s a 100 gram and it’s identical with their Deo Stick :confused1 . I already had 2 in my shopping cart when I checked the small print for tallow. Not sure what the outcome/lather might have been…

(rant mode on) Did I just read that? My goodness! People go out of their way completely misinterpreting a very simple text just to be picky about some useless point that hasn't even been mentioned by the original quote nor is the topic of the thread. Come on!

What is next? Simpsons has to use Yorkshire-raised, British accent-speaking badger to be able to claim they make real badger hair brushes in the UK? Get a life (/rant mode off)

Since we are on it, here are some fun facts about the İsle of Man and how "far" it is from the UK, physically, politically and socially:
- The distance between Liverpool and the Isle of Man is <100 miles
- The Isle of Man passport is a British passport
- The head of state is Queen Elizabeth II, also the queen of the United Kingdom
- The United Kingdom is responsible for the island's defence and ultimately for good governance
- There is no separate Manx citizenship. Citizenship is covered by UK law, and Manx people are classed as British citizens
- The currency used is the British pounds
- The main language of the Isle of Man is English

Source: wikipedia
I lived on the Isle of man for 10 years(In Liverpool now)my parents still live there beautiful Island.If you go on youtube and put in IOM TT races you'll see most of the island.

I lived on the Isle of man for 10 years(In Liverpool now)my parents still live there beautiful Island.If you go on youtube and put in IOM TT races you'll see most of the island.

Ok, biting a bit on the tangent but it's interesting, so the IOM is basically a British Territory?

Top Bottom