What's new

Pipe Of The Day (POTD)

20210725_101500.jpg

Smoking a bowl of Sir Walter in my straight Jeantet billiard with the horn stem. A good solid pipe it is, and the SWR is perfect in it.

Earlier I did a small bowl of Edward G. Robinson in the small Jansen bent apple I reserve for Latakia blends. Quite nice, though I don't know at this point if I will order more EGR when this tin is gone. I'm finding I look forward to the codger and burley blends much more.

Sir Walter Raleigh in a Dunhill. Dunhill makes a fine pipe, a thing of beauty. But they never do smoke well for me. Down to my last three Dunhill pipes.

Dunhill straight billiards are the finest kind, particularly LB, LBS, 51031 or 5103; however, I've found the draw on practically all Dunhill bents too restrictive for my tastes and other mechanical issues also abound.

POTD is IMP meer w/ GLP Quiet Nights which I also enjoy quite well with morning coffee.
IMG_2993.JPG

SWR in a Peterson 221. Just about my favorite pipe I think. Top 2 at least.

Watched the storm roll in under the porch. Briefly joined by a tiny hummingbird seeking shelter. Had to get my backup lighter half way thru the bowl. Not my favorite lighter, finicky to ignite. Push straight down, any jnward pressure and she won't ignite. Cantankerous thing.

852D88F1-7ED6-466A-973D-214461FDD90B.jpeg

I have to say, I'm a little envious of some people here. Oh, not your pipes or cellars. I'll get there in time. But your presentation for your photos is magnificent! I have a shelf in the hall closet to store whatever my pipes and rotation are. Then it's a 18" square table by the door with a giant houseplant and table lamp on it. That's my spot to dry and pack and do the necessary things before smoking. Which is why my pics are the pipe in my hand on the porch. But I'm really digging seeing what everyone has. These kids won't be living here forever (although their stuff might be).

I have to say, I'm a little envious of some people here. Oh, not your pipes or cellars. I'll get there in time. But your presentation for your photos is magnificent! I have a shelf in the hall closet to store whatever my pipes and rotation are. Then it's a 18" square table by the door with a giant houseplant and table lamp on it. That's my spot to dry and pack and do the necessary things before smoking. Which is why my pics are the pipe in my hand on the porch. But I'm really digging seeing what everyone has. These kids won't be living here forever (although their stuff might be).
Same here. My house is tiny. All my pipe stuff in in the base of my small closet. Some of the stuff regularly gets tangled in my clothes 🤣🤦‍♂️. All my baccy has to be reached from my hands and knees. Usually I pick and pack the pipe when I'm down there. On a cheapy plastic parts tray with a spout on a corner haha. Certainly not elegant but does a good job catching any tobacco and pouring it back into the jar. I am most certainly not a photographer. Most of my pics are also in hand from the backyard. Have to walk around to get the best lighting hahaha. Neighbors probably think I'm nuts (thats ok. It ensures I am left alone 🤣).

You folks have houses. I live in a 2-room (not 2-bedroom, now, but 2-room) apartment. My pipe stuff is all in a copy paper box, you know, the kind that held 10 reams. I have to lift it out of the pantry closet, unpack what I want to smoke, then repack it all afterward. True, that keeps the cats from trying to play with the pipes, and it keeps me from sudden impulse smoking. But I just don't have any other place for the pipes, for display or to store the leaf.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
You folks have houses. I live in a 2-room (not 2-bedroom, now, but 2-room) apartment. My pipe stuff is all in a copy paper box, you know, the kind that held 10 reams. I have to lift it out of the pantry closet, unpack what I want to smoke, then repack it all afterward. True, that keeps the cats from trying to play with the pipes, and it keeps me from sudden impulse smoking. But I just don't have any other place for the pipes, for display or to store the leaf.

When I first took up the pipe, my single news stand poker, a tin or two of tobacco, and a few packs of matches fought for space in my underwear drawer against the socks and shorts. Some days, the socks won that fight.

After the last few days around here, I'm not so sure having a house is such a luxury. You may have it right keeping things simple, like I did all those years ago with that underwear drawer.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Mrs. Ctr wanted a nice kitchen when we downsized last year to a smaller home. What Mrs. Ctr wants she gets.
We did the same thing early this year smaller house and yard and granite countertop and travertine splash in our galley kitchen. Low maintenance and loving it. Not to mention all the trout streams nearby.

Top Bottom