What's new

More Vintage SR's - 2 x Cadman Bengall

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Looks like a steal at that price. But you already have too many razors (unless you want to open a store - which would not be a bad idea!)
I didn't know that such a situation could exist.

Thank you for the heads up. I will return these razors and never obtain any more.
I contacted the vendor but he refused to take them back "because I changed my mind". I even told the vendor that @Eastcoast30 said that I had too many razors. Looks like I'm stuck with them now.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
3E2AF5E4-F2C6-40F9-8E89-3196230024D8.jpeg

I’ve bought 2 bengals, one a 5/8ths hollow ground for a friend and later a 5/8ths near wedge for me which I still shave with. I’ve put a lot of different edges on it from different abrasives and it’s shaved brilliantly with each one. It was also my first rescaling project. It currently has a beautiful coticule edge, I love my Bengal.
F7531B52-BBA9-4B17-9234-6E4B738B2705.jpeg

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I’ve bought 2 bengals, one a 5/8ths hollow ground for a friend and later a 5/8ths near wedge for me which I still shave with. I’ve put a lot of different edges on it from different abrasives and it’s shaved brilliantly with each one. It was also my first rescaling project. It currently has a beautiful coticule edge, I love my Bengal.
I also love my Bengalls. I just don't let my other SR's know as I want them to think that they are all equally loved.

I have had practice at this with my girlfriends 😁.

I haven’t used my Bengal near wedge for a month or so, but reading this thread inspired me to use it today.
5E2B03B7-99B8-424A-A9F7-94C91FB7471F.jpeg

It has a sweet, smooth coticule edge and gave me a lovely shave today. It’s heavy for a little blade and has a lovely smooth almost chopping action.
Different from a film edge, not as sharp but gentler than a jnat edge, a lovely razor to use.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I don't think that I am quite ready yet for a ⅜ after just one from a ⅝. I will keep that in mind.

There are downsides to smaller blades. One, as I mentioned before, is developing my technique with blade angle due to the smaller size. They are also noticeably light which I also have to get use to. A smaller blade does not hold as much lather so that it needs to be rinsed more often. None of these are real problems, just things that I have to learn to adapt to.
A 5/8 is the largest blade I use. The smaller
4/8 and 9/16 are so easy to shave with and really get around the curves superbly. I had a 3/8 but didn’t like it. 9/16 is the sweet spot for me. You should give one a try. You will easily be able to feel the blade angle. Also, I wipe my blade in a damp sponge to keep the fragile beasties away from the faucet.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Glad to see your continued collecting of vintage straights. I’m sure you will enjoy them
Yes, I do enjoy them, and the hunt. I am also a little surprised that some very good ones can be found for well under USD 50. They often require a little work to get them shave-ready but so far nothing beyond my capabilities.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
There is only one small area of minor concern with the blade. There is the smallest amount of pitta on the face-side bevel. This does not extend to the edge so should not present a problem, even as the blade wears.
This little area of concern disappeared after a couple of shaves and refreshing on a 0.1μm diamond pasted hanging balsa strop. It must have just been a slight water mark on the bevel. Now all is good.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
This morning I shaved with both of my Bengalls, half of my face for each. The purpose here was to compare the edges of each.

I can now happily state that the edges of both are now of equal perfect quality. No need for any more edge refining. Both of these SR's have now need Renaissance waxed and put away for a while. Time to work some more on my George Butler "Shakespeare" to get its edge up to the same standard.

Top Bottom