What's new

Soaps you always come back to

I dug up an old puck of Tabac for a shave last night, probably for the first time in well over a year (I'd been giving a few of my newer soaps some dedicated attention recently). It was a welcome reminder of just how fantastic Tabac really is -- when lathered well, it stands up to pretty much any other soap in my den. The added bonus is I've developed a bit of nostalgic attachment to the scent. For me, it has a permanent place on a short list of soaps I will always keep on hand.

Anyway, I'm interested to hear which soaps fill that role for other folks. Tell me about those reliable favourites that may sometimes get neglected when exploring newer options but that you'll always come back to and enjoy.

Last edited:
Martin de candre fougere & original
SV 70th
A&E Kaizen base
Caties bubbles marche du rasage
Fine accoutrements italian citrus
Fitjar Islands

Got high expectations for A&E vetiver shave butter and the Kaizen 2 base but haven't tried it yet as for cheaper alternatives Ach brito, Proraso white and speick

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Very interesting question! There are always things in my den I may enjoy but which will not be invited back when they are gone. These are experiments, or variations on a theme (running through a series of different brands of Rose or Lavender products, for instance), and are often once-and-dones. Then there are products which are invited back more than once, but are not always in stock. I've run through about 3 Tabac pucks, for instance, but have been out of it for about a year and I don't miss it yet. But it will be back. Sometime.

The stuff that will ALWAYS be in my den, however, the stuff I reload BEFORE I run out, not after, is a very short list indeed. This is the stuff I'd stock up on if I heard it was going to be discontinued. I have 7 or 8 lather products in my den right now, for example (I try to keep it reasonable), but these are the ones I am never without.

• Santa Maria del Fiore
  • Cella
  • Proraso Green

That's it! Other stuff comes in as the spirit moves me, and those that have been invited back several times, as opposed to a once-and-dones, include

• Tabac
  • TOBS Rose cream
  • TOBS Avocado cream (although I understand this is going the way of the dodo)
  • TOBS Lavender cream
  • RR Don Marco soap
  • D.R. Harris Marlborough soap
  • Barrister & Mann Lavender soap
  • La Toja stick (travel choice)
  • C.O. Bigelow small cream tube (other travel choice, I don't travel much anymore)

I do not think I've ever bought another lather product other than those more than one time, though, and of course, the once-and-dones are legion.

Now, I could use some help from my fellow B&B'ers. Two products that I used to always have on hand are no longer available. I would not mind experimenting trying to find a substitute for these

• Queen Charlotte Green Irish Tweed
  • Queen Charlotte Basilica

Someone recently posted about a "Catholic" line of products that may reproduce the Basilica scent in their "Frankincense & Myrrh", and I am going to try this, for certain. I loved Basilica as a winter soap, and paired it with Don Marco in my mind as the summer alternative. I suppose I should have included them in my always, as I always had them in season, but might not reload at end of season. I just reloaded my Don Marco this month, for example. But for my seasonals, Basilica and Don Marce were it.

I have not looked for a replacement for QC's Green Irish Tweed, however, and would be extremely grateful for suggestions, I miss it terribly. Having been on a long hiatus, I am not familiar with what the cool kids are using these days, and I strongly suspect some firm, somewhere, is making a Green Irish Tweed type. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Tabac and PdP 63 get neglected and sent into exile for the Summer months, but make their triumphant return at the first signs of Autumn.

And here I was digging out Tabac at the height of summer. I get why some use it more seasonally though.

Just bought SV Cosmo and am astonished I'd forgotten how good SV soaps are. Absolute perfection.

SV is a slightly newer soap for me, but I see it finding it's way into my short list as well. It's responsible for probably a majority of my shaves this past year.

MWF and Tabac are the two I couldn't do without. If I had to choose between them, I'd sigh and pick Tabac because it works every single time. Haslinger and Cella are also in my rotation and both are fantastic soaps. And I keep Arko on hand for days when I need to punish myself.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I have many of the fine soaps listed above and being at this for just for just over a year it’s difficult to imagine a soap running out. With a large rotation it seems like I’m not making a dent in the soap. That’s not a problem btw. Although really good, I don’t feel tied to replacing anything in the current lineup. Several soaps are on my radar, MdC, Canada, SV are all of interest but holding off until 3017 something…anything.

Art of Shaving, Sandalwood (Tallow)
Santa Maria Novella
Saponificio Varesino, Dolomiti
Speick stick

I've only used a sample so far, but I can also see RazoRock's Santa Maria del Fiore making it to this list once I get a whole jar and am able to spend some more time with it.

I’ve enjoyed some very nice soaps and creams spread across the price spectrum.
The four that will always be in my den/rotation are, in no particular order:
Haslinger (any scent but coconut)
Martin de Candre (any)
ARKO (stick pressed into bowl)
Captain’s Choice (soap or cream, love both)

Top Bottom