What's new

How long does it take you to go through a tub of soap?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I guess I was depressed at looking at the 20 or so off soaps..when will I even go through them? I only shave twice a week, now will increase it to three times/week but looks like it would take years to finish my stock. And I keep on impulse buying..
If I ever quit being lazy I'm going to PIF a bunch of soaps and start over.

Why? Because I have never finished a soap.

I have been using the same soap for over two years. Yes, that is the same puck, not multiple pucks of the same soap. Not exclusively, and since covid, not every day but usually four times per week

The soap is from Grafton Barber here in Dublin. I want to say it is made in Italy, but the label only says made in the EU for Grafton Barber. I think I'm three quarters of the way through it.

Once I clear this one I'll finish a tub of sterling black ice I use on occasion. Hopefully next March or April I'll move on to an unopened soap.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
It depends on the brush, but I do have formulas that give me a rough idea how many shaves I'll get before I buy. I've tested this on full soaps and on samples, and it's generally been a very consistent guide for my usage.

Triple milled: Shave count = weight (g) x 4
(60g Haslinger = between 210 and 240 shaves expected)​
Firm tub soap: Shave count = weight (g) x 3
(140g Wickhams = between 350 and 420 shaves expected)​
Soft tub soap: Shave count = weight (g) x 1 or 2
(This is the most variable, and hardest to predict. Also one I very rarely use)​
Cream: Shave count = volume (ml) x 1
(75ml Erasmic tube = between 60 and 85 shaves expected)​

Note: This is all approximate averages, and the amount I actually load can vary wildly, depending on whether I'm going two passes, or a full three passes plus shampooing my tache and goatee with the surplus. Some soaps I enjoy using so much, I rarely stop at two passes, and just shave a little less often to avoid irritation issues. Those products I might use slightly faster, in terms of shave count, but obviously that doesn't match the elapsed days as I'll be taking more days off.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
I guess I was depressed at looking at the 20 or so off soaps..when will I even go through them? I only shave twice a week, now will increase it to three times/week but looks like it would take years to finish my stock. And I keep on impulse buying..
Why not get a couple of 26mm badgers and a Rockwell 6C or 6S and shave twice a day with the R1 plate, if you're lucky it might take you 4 passes to get a BBS.

lasta

Blade Biter
It depends on the brush, but I do have formulas that give me a rough idea how many shaves I'll get before I buy. I've tested this on full soaps and on samples, and it's generally been a very consistent guide for my usage.

Triple milled: Shave count = weight (g) x 4
(60g Haslinger = between 210 and 240 shaves expected)​
Firm tub soap: Shave count = weight (g) x 3
(140g Wickhams = between 350 and 420 shaves expected)​
Soft tub soap: Shave count = weight (g) x 1 or 2
(This is the most variable, and hardest to predict. Also one I very rarely use)​
Cream: Shave count = volume (ml) x 1
(75ml Erasmic tube = between 60 and 85 shaves expected)​

Note: This is all approximate averages, and the amount I actually load can vary wildly, depending on whether I'm going two passes, or a full three passes plus shampooing my tache and goatee with the surplus. Some soaps I enjoy using so much, I rarely stop at two passes, and just shave a little less often to avoid irritation issues. Those products I might use slightly faster, in terms of shave count, but obviously that doesn't match the elapsed days as I'll be taking more days off.

350 shaves out of Wickhams?!

I'm seeing rings on my Club Cola after 4 months, and it wasn't exclusive.

Also, I don't consider myself an excessive loader, 80-120 swirls light pressure.

@puffinshart, on average I use a little over 2 grams of soap for a shave. So, I'll go through 113 grams/4 ounces of soap in about 55 days. I shave every day, so this means I'll consume around 750 grams/26 ounces of soap each year, or in other words, about 6½ four-ounce tubs.

Now, you shave twice a week. So, if you load heavy, your 20 new tubs of soap will probably give you around 1,200 shaves. I imagine you've already used part of your soap stash, so we'll say that from today you've got about 1,000 shaves left. This means that if you keep shaving twice a week, you'll be well supplied with soap until the year 2030!

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
I have a similar problem, so last September I found the 3017 thread (about finishing soaps in case you are unfamiliar). Beginning with my.most used soaps and creams and moving on to some of my older soaps I started using them up. From September to December I managed to use up 4 soaps and since January I have used 6.
The only problem is that since January I have bought 14 soaps.

I have a similar problem, so last September I found the 3017 thread (about finishing soaps in case you are unfamiliar). Beginning with my.most used soaps and creams and moving on to some of my older soaps I started using them up. From September to December I managed to use up 4 soaps and since January I have used 6.
The only problem is that since January I have bought 14 soaps.
I know this feeling. Try to be more of a minimalist, and it ends up backfiring!
1627258385457.png

High-water content soaps like Proraso approx. 2g/shave
Low-water content soaps like Speick stick approx. 1g/shave

Applied either directly in the face by hand or with a (2x6cm) synthetic brush, in the latter case loading the soap takes 45-60 seconds.

130g size of MdC Original after 87 uses in the picture. This is the first soap that I kept track of from its first use in the Shave Buddy app.

When I see references to 13 or more soaps killed in a year it is obvious to me that they are different soaps from my typical soaps which include MWF, Tabac, DR Harris and even the softest Cella. I have always felt like I load fairly heavy. Clearly a YMMV answer to the question.
image.jpg

Top Bottom