What's new

Shave Sticks Review Project

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Brigman is back on the air...

Better late than never!

Nivea Shave Stick shave #1

i do not know how long Nivea will sell that shave stick with a little “new” in the corner. Anyways, the shave stick is a twist container. It feels solid and there’s a fair amount of plastic here.

the scent is what I would wear as a cologne in my 20s. It’s fresh, it’s clean!

the product itself lathers well. It’s not the best out here but not the worse either. The lather is average but more average-good than average-bad.

Regular BBS shave, no nicks. It’s a good first impression.

Attachments

• E024A224-A780-46DA-8B66-C14BE0F97FF0.jpeg
    E024A224-A780-46DA-8B66-C14BE0F97FF0.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 36
  • BDE42AF8-D0C7-4663-B633-D4681DF5C2DF.jpeg
    BDE42AF8-D0C7-4663-B633-D4681DF5C2DF.jpeg
    6.8 MB · Views: 35

Luc

Staff member
A week of shaving and it’s still going strong. The scent is a bit too much for me but I can manage. Nivea is usually fairly light scent-wise. Not this one.

i will switch to a boar brush for my next shave and see how it goes.

Luc

Staff member
To make any updates easier, I've created a wiki page. I also changed the ratings a bit so it's better than listing them like in post 1

Scent wise they are different not outstanding but they lather and shave well

Attachments

• 0A7B133C-12B0-4EBC-A774-FB8FA194EE84.jpeg
    0A7B133C-12B0-4EBC-A774-FB8FA194EE84.jpeg
    148 KB · Views: 12
  • 297BC3C7-6784-4920-9FAD-63C5E802C80D.jpeg
    297BC3C7-6784-4920-9FAD-63C5E802C80D.jpeg
    63.9 KB · Views: 11
  • CF148D6A-6481-4533-99F9-CA723F87529E.jpeg
    CF148D6A-6481-4533-99F9-CA723F87529E.jpeg
    58.7 KB · Views: 12
  • B6962929-1233-4BB9-8B98-BBA6D6F0969E.jpeg
    B6962929-1233-4BB9-8B98-BBA6D6F0969E.jpeg
    61.6 KB · Views: 10
Scent wise they are different not outstanding but they lather and shave well

I wish their scent lasted longer. Basically it's gone after shaving but love the convenience of lathering up fast on your face with a brush. I have bought all of the above except the Amelia. Kitty Hawk has a mild lemon candy smell, the Red Baron smells ok too but love the bitterness/dirtiness of the McIRISH.

I wish their scent lasted longer. Basically it's gone after shaving but love the convenience of lathering up fast on your face with a brush. I have bought all of the above except the Amelia. Kitty Hawk has a mild lemon candy smell, the Red Baron smells ok too but love the bitterness/dirtiness of the McIRISH.
The mcirish seems to be the best.
But they are not strong enough to buy again. Already cut them in half and given that away with an empty tube

Luc

Staff member
I've added the Nivea Stick to the wiki page : Shave_Sticks_Review_Project - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/wiki/Shave_Sticks_Review_Project

Overall, it's an above average stick. It's good, it's a young-ish scent (I sound old here), the lather is proper. There could be more glide but it's very usable.

I also added the sort option on the wiki page meaning that you can resort the names (they sort weirdly under the Product name as it consider what's outside the link first then the bbcode (to get technical). So for the ratings, I added a number to sort them properly.

Luc

Staff member
I bought a new shave stick (that wasn't reviewed here) this morning. More information when I receive the parcel, probably this week or next week...

Luc

Staff member
Post 1 was updated to add the wiki page

next stick is in. I will post something after shave #1

Attachments

• EAF4AB83-2015-4F83-8189-4CCBFDCCBB3A.jpeg
    EAF4AB83-2015-4F83-8189-4CCBFDCCBB3A.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 9

Luc

Staff member
Shave #1 with the Genuine Ogallala Bay Rum shave stick. Bay rum, sage and cedar.

I bought that one with sage and cedar in mind but, the clove scent is the main scent. It’s all right, I use Bay rum aftershave here and there. I can smell the sage a bit but not much of the cedar.

The lather was very nice and did a great first impression. I will post more after 30 shaves.

Attachments

• C4E944E9-3A02-4D90-94F2-5478C5743A3C.jpeg
    C4E944E9-3A02-4D90-94F2-5478C5743A3C.jpeg
    6 MB · Views: 6

Luc

Staff member
Before I forget, I'm not taking any more chances...

Ingredients: Coconut Oil, Palm Oil, Castor Oil, Safflower Oil, Glycerin, Purified Water, Sodium Hydroxide, Sorbitol, Shea Butter, Sorbitan Oleate, Soybean Protein, Titanium Dioxide, Bentonite Clay, Fragrance (proprietary blend including essential oils).

I followed the instructions:

Directions: Apply directly to wet whiskers and create lather with a shaving brush.

This is a 2.5 oz shave stick, Ogallala, NE 69153

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Thanks for keeping this going, Luc. Not sure how you are still able to find sticks you already haven't written up. :thumbup1:

PS. Those Ogallala instructions are pretty detailed. ;)

Last edited:

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Wiki Page With Ratings: Shave_Sticks_Review_Project - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/wiki/Shave_Sticks_Review_Project

I got this mild (yes mild) obsession with Shaving Sticks. Some love them, some hate them, some find them okay (all those feelings are all right). I'm not here to convince anyone to buy a product over another. I'm here to share that experience that I got that will, hopefully, be beneficial to the others.

I am not an expert, I'm an enthusiast. Keep in mind that my opinion could be completely different than yours, and that's great I reckon!

So, back to the shave sticks. They are discussed here and there, sometimes, someone even asks for a sub-forum about them. A shaving stick is like a shaving soap puck, the shape is different and that's all. The texture or density of the product would qualify it as a shave soap so it makes sense that we keep them together.

A shaving stick is mostly used to face lather. Many use them to travel only. I use a shave stick while I'm not traveling. I face lather regardless if it's a shave stick, soap or even shave cream. In the end, I use a shave stick because I prefer using a shave stick.

Keeping this in mind, anyone could transform a shave stick to a puck or a puck to a shave stick if they want to. What I would like to do today is start a project where I will review all my shave sticks and compare them one to another. I will then prepare my shave soaps and turn them into sticks to review them. If anyone has comments or suggestions, please share.

I reviewed, not too long ago, all Turkish shave sticks. That was a great little journey and I would do it again if I had to. I discovered some nice products but even after a week of usage, I know if I would like this product or not, I won't review it yet. I think I need to use those on a longer term type of thing to get a big overall view before I actually enter them in the review system. If someone uses a product 2-3 times and review it, it's no good IMO. What you will get is the "first impression". This is what I'm trying to avoid. I give my firsts impressions but I will continue to use the product until there's almost none left. That way, it will ensure a better review.

What do I have? I will try to go through the following products. Not in that order in particular. I will use the product to the end and then review here and create a review in the review system if necessary. Some of those I already reviewed but going back to old products could change my perception on how I see it...

The List to be tested
  • Mystery Stick 9

Currently tested

Rankings

Currently made
----------This is where I draw a line on what I would buy again and would not. Everything below is a no I'm afraid-----------

Discontinued

Avoid at all costs

attachment.php

I probably have enough soaps (I didn't put the shave creams) for a few years...

So, a few links to help you further

EDIT: Taking advantage of the hashtag feature
#ShaveSticks #ShaveStick #Review
Arko is the only shave stick I ever used and I have no reason to try another. It is perhaps the best soap I’ve ever used and I have a box of the sticks. In my opinion, face lathering is the most efficient way to lather. Arko is also very cost efficient by the way. If it were more expensive, more people would likely use it.

Luc

Staff member
Arko is the only shave stick I ever used and I have no reason to try another. It is perhaps the best soap I’ve ever used and I have a box of the sticks. In my opinion, face lathering is the most efficient way to lather. Arko is also very cost efficient by the way. If it were more expensive, more people would likely use it.

i don’t think it’s price related only. I believe that Arko is great! But… scent wise it’s not my favourite.

If I split this in 3 categories it would be : price, scent and performance.

2 out of 3 are spot on. If they have a stick that doesn’t reminds me of mosquitoes, I would probably have the same opinion.

also, I need a bit of different flavours during the week.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
i don’t think it’s price related only. I believe that Arko is great! But… scent wise it’s not my favourite.

If I split this in 3 categories it would be : price, scent and performance.

2 out of 3 are spot on. If they have a stick that doesn’t reminds me of mosquitoes, I would probably have the same opinion.

also, I need a bit of different flavours during the week.
Yep, the scent puts a lot of people off but I rather like it or at least it doesn’t bother me. Anyway, it dissipates rather quickly. I really don’t focus on it. One exception was a mutton fat based soap and that really did turn me off.

Top Bottom