What's new

More Vintage SR's - 2 x Cadman Bengall

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I don't know why I did it but I just pulled the pin on two Cadman Bengall SR's. The vendor knows nothing about SR's and these photos are all I have to go on.

s-l400.jpg

s-l400(2).jpg

s-l400(1).jpg

My research shows that they are probably from the early 1900's. They should arrive within a couple of weeks. Should be interesting to see what they are like when I get them.

I don't know why I did it but I just pulled the pin on two Cadman Bengall SR's. The vendor knows nothing about SR's and these photos are all I have to go on.

My research shows that they are probably from the early 1900's. They should arrive within a couple of weeks. Should be interesting to see what they are like when I get them.

congrats

hard to tell.from the photos condition of blades......but bet they will be okay.

full report expected upon receipt!!!!

camo

Legion

Staff member
I saw those listed. They will be fine, since look in good shape. I've never had one of those that turned out to be a dud that wasn't abused. One of the most reliable brands out there.

From around the 30's.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
congrats

hard to tell.from the photos condition of blades......but bet they will be okay.

full report expected upon receipt!!!!

camo
I agree. The price was right enough at USD 60 for the two that I was willing to take a gamble on their condition. I expect that I will at least have to fully hone them up, but that's not a problem.

What should be interesting is to compare their shave quality with my Titan ACRM-2 SR's that were purchased new for about the same price.

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
I agree. The price was right enough at USD 60 for the two that I was willing to take a gamble on their condition. I expect that I will at least have to fully hone them up, but that's not a problem.
Yeah... they look like they have been sitting in a draw for 80 years. Will probably need a hone.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

Congrats on the brilliant choice. I have two - a 5/8 and a 4/8. They are wonderful razors and seem to have been hoarded by the Aussies. I prefer small blades and was very fortunate to find the 4/8. Just wait till you get that 200k edge on them!

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

Congrats on the brilliant choice. I have two - a 5/8 and a 4/8. They are wonderful razors and seem to have been hoarded by the Aussies. I prefer small blades and was very fortunate to find the 4/8. Just wait till you get that 200k edge on them! They look to be in excellent shape. You do know you stole them. I paid as much for each of mine as you did for the pair.

Bengal razors have a reputation to be exceptional shavers, so no doubt you will enjoy them.

From the photos, they seem to be in acceptable condition, the rust around the pivot is about par for razors that were neglected, in most cases a few drops of oil will stop it in it's tracks. In order to remove it completely, you will have to remove the scales, but in most cases it's not worth the risk of damage to the scales.

If they were mine, I would clean them, hone them up and enjoy them, but that's me. I don't mind a razor showing it's age.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
It's like Christmas Day for me! I picked them up from the PO this morning. Both razors are like brothers. I will never separate them and this condition will be sworn to by anyone they are passed on to.

First the small Cadman Bengall. The blade is 5/8, Dutch (round) point with bakelite(?) scales. Absolutely gorgeous. In excellent condition for its age. There are a few spots of pitta to show its age, otherwise it could be considered much newer.

IMG_20210723_132124.jpg
IMG_20210723_132145.jpg

The blade is a full hollow and well centred.
IMG_20210723_132050.jpg
I'm not sure what the almost parallel wedge is made of.

There is only one small area of minor concern with the blade. There is the smallest amount of pitta on the face-side bevel. This does not extend to the edge so should not present a problem, even as the blade wears.
IMG_20210723_133059.jpg

There is almost no spine or bevel wear on this SR. It has probably hardly ever been used.

First thing will be to perform a Sharpie test to determine the condition of this razor's last honing. The edge is sharp and performs tree-topping - just. After the Sharpie test, I will decide on what sort and degree of honing I will give this SR.

The larger Cadman Bengall is very similar to the smaller except that the balde is 6/8 and the scales are a little larger to accommodate the increased blade size.
IMG_20210723_161854.jpg
IMG_20210723_161927.jpg
IMG_20210723_162249.jpg
There are no areas of concern with this SR except that I might just tighten up the pivot pin a tad.

Again the first thing with this SR will be to perform a Sharpie test to determine the condition of this razor's last honing. The edge is sharp and performs tree-topping - just. After the Sharpie test, I will decide on what sort and degree of honing I will give this SR.

This SR came with its original coffin. The price sticker still shows, 18/6. For the younger readers that is 18 shillings and 6 pence (AUD). Not sure what that is the equivalent of today but if memory serves me, it was about 4 to 5 days average salary for a skilled tradesman back when this was new.
IMG_20210723_162036.jpg

Overall I am extremely happy with this purchase 🥰.​

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
This evening I Sharpie tested the 5/8. All looked good so I just gave it a few laps on 1μm film and then a diamond pasted balsa strop progression. Tomorrow morning my George Butler "Shakespeare" can have a rest and I will try out the Bengall 5/8. This will be my first shave with a 5/8 traditional SR.

I have a slightly older Bengall made post McKinley tariff act marked England, but before the TR Cadman and Sons stamp. In fact it was my first razor and is in phenomenal shape. I need to pull it out and give it some love. I’ve learned a ton about honing and maintenance since I last honed it so I bet I could make it great shaver now. The last shave with it was so so, but I think I can fix that.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
This morning's shave with the Cadman "Bengall" ⅝ was one of my best. The edge quantity is up there with my best. The fool's pass was smooth and left a BBS finish.

I was surprised at how manoeuvrable a ⅝ blade can be. Made it easier to shave ATG in the hollows of my neck although I had to concentrate more on ensuring that I had the correct blade angle.

Overall a great shave. This SR will see a lot more use.

I was surprised at how manoeuvrable a ⅝ blade can be. Made it easier to shave ATG in the hollows of my neck although I had to concentrate more on ensuring that I had the correct blade angle.

Overall a great shave. This SR will see a lot more use.

Now you're ready for a 3/8! Seriously, I got a Japanese one, and was amazed at how easy and excellent shaving with it was.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Now you're ready for a 3/8! Seriously, I got a Japanese one, and was amazed at how easy and excellent shaving with it was.
I don't think that I am quite ready yet for a ⅜ after just one from a ⅝. I will keep that in mind.

There are downsides to smaller blades. One, as I mentioned before, is developing my technique with blade angle due to the smaller size. They are also noticeably light which I also have to get use to. A smaller blade does not hold as much lather so that it needs to be rinsed more often. None of these are real problems, just things that I have to learn to adapt to.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
My Bengall 6/8th has now been Sharpie tested. All looked good so I gave it a few laps on a 10k synthetic then on to 3μm and 1μm lapping film before finishing off on a diamond pasted balsa progression to 0.1μm (about 200k grit). The bevel is looking good and the edge is testing well. Shave test tomorrow morning.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I shaved with the Bengall 6/8 this morning. The shave quality was just a touch under that I obtained from the ⅝ yesterday. I then gave the 6/8 a half progression on my diamond pasted balsa strops (0.25μm & 0.1μm only) before the normal 0.1μm hanging balsa strop. That should bring it up to perfection.

The 6/8 will now be put away while I return to my George Butler "Shakespeare" over the next days to get its edge to up near my other SR's.

Top Bottom