What's new

Questions on a goodwill

I just got this Gillette goodwill razor today, the handle says it’s from 1920 and the back of the comb part says patt. pend. The handle has a slight crack at the ball and I’m wondering if that should be ok as long as I don’t clamp down on it. The 2nd question I have is the handle original if the date is from 1920? Here are some pics, most of the plating is still in tact which is why I bought this piece.

Larry

8E289D48-D34B-44C7-B425-3A2E5F891DAB.jpeg
F63F0761-EFD7-444C-BC4C-FCE5BB216B49.jpeg
6497935E-DBD9-44FC-9D6F-B675F44DE15B.jpeg
D25B9E9E-B063-4A3A-B388-472BCC73059F.jpeg

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
It’s a Goodwill #160 — one of the greatest shavers ever made. Appears to be all original. The handle is nit from 1920 — it’s just the date of one of the patents. The handle split is quite common — some epoxy can solidify it, if necessary. Congrats!

Last edited:
Pretty sure it’s a 1932 or so.

I have 2 1931’s and I’m using razor emporium replica handles on both of them. I just keep the cracked janky original handles in storage. The modern replacement threads onto the head better, won’t crack, has better grip, and won’t separate from itself.

Regarding whether the handle is original to the head: I would assume so. The goodwill razors were a mishmash of parts and that is a correct handle for the era. The finishes and corresponding patina are the same.

Nice piece. I want one now. Both of my goodwills have the art deco style top cap

It’s a Goodwill #160 — one of the greatest shavers ever made. Appears to be all original. The handle is nit from 1920 — it’s just the date of one of the patents. The handle split is quite common — some epoxy can solidify it, if necessary. Congrats!

Thank you, it was listed on the bay as a tech and I knew that it was a goodwill and the condition of it is what drew me to it as well. I have 2 short combs, one with the standard bar and the other one with the slim Otto Roth bar handle. I always wanted to try a long comb but wanted it to stand out from the other two. I think I succeeded in that and the price was hard to beat too. I can’t wait to try a goodwill and a long comb. Hope I’m in for a better shave then my shorts.

Larry

Pretty sure it’s a 1932 or so.

I have 2 1931’s and I’m using razor emporium replica handles on both of them. I just keep the cracked janky original handles in storage. The modern replacement threads onto the head better, won’t crack, has better grip, and won’t separate from itself.

Regarding whether the handle is original to the head: I would assume so. The goodwill razors were a mishmash of parts and that is a correct handle for the era. The finishes and corresponding patina are the same.

Nice piece. I want one now. Both of my goodwills have the art deco style top cap

Thank you for the kind words and help, it’s amazing that the most of the plating is still in tact as from research I found out that they didn’t plate these razors too well. I knew it was the 1932 model as the Art Deco caps were 31’s. I wanted the Art Deco cap but those were untouchable with the prices and most of the caps were scratched and had major plate loss. This one definitely caught my eye and I can’t wait to pop a blade in it and give it a try. It’s my understanding that even tho these were given out free to entrap users to the redesigned Gillette blade shape, the numbers were limited to how many were sold/given out and the years made were quite few. It’s always fun to hear about the history of these, it what keeps me on the hunt.

Larry

In spite of its humble background, the Gillette Good Will #160 (the most common version) is a most outstanding razor. Nothing shaves better on my face, and I have about 75 DE and SE razors. In fact, I like mine so much I had it re-plated in 18k gold, which I've never heard of anyone doing with such a pedestrian razor.

The Gillette Good Will was made 1931 to 1935. The Good Will was made in several configurations from a variety of parts. Mine has a #160 cap and a #175 blade guard, with a ball end handle.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
In spite of its humble background, the Gillette Good Will #160 (the most common version) is a most outstanding razor. Nothing shaves better on my face, and I have about 75 DE and SE razors. In fact, I like mine so much I had it re-plated in 18k gold, which I've never heard of anyone doing with such a pedestrian razor.

The Gillette Good Will was made 1931 to 1935. The Good Will was made in several configurations from a variety of parts. Mine has a #160 cap and a #175 blade guard, with a ball end handle.
I’ve named my #160 ‘My Precious.’

I think it's rare to find one of those handles without a crack in it. I have one with a crack and it works just fine. Know that you can use a different aftermarket handle on that razor as well. An excellent shaver. In terms of shave quality, it's one of the best vintage shaving razors that I've tried.

I’m going to tell on myself. When I first saw this, I thought, “Who knew you could find razors at Goodwill?”

I can be a goober at times. More often than I care to think about.

I’m going to tell on myself. When I first saw this, I thought, “Who knew you could find razors at Goodwill?”

I can be a goober at times. More often than I care to think about.

In all honesty you CAN find them at Goodwill...they have a website that you can bid on items in different stores!

Larry

M

Member 113878

Got one of these today.
There’s a lot of play between the cap and base.
The hole in the base is much larger than the cap’s shaft.
With a blade loaded it seems to align well though.
Is it normal?
Thanks!

A few years ago I got a #160 Goodwill - Great Shaves! I currently have a worn & corroded junk #175 Special on the way to get replated. Replating is thicker & more durable than the original (long gone) gold wash, so daily use should not have any detrimental effect as it would the thin gold wash.

Top Bottom