What's new

Toggle Inflation?

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I've had each of the common Gillette Adjustables, save the bottom dial, and they are some of my favorites .. kinda like the first car or girl, my first shave was with a Gillette Adjustable. But just saw a Toggle, replated even, listed at over a grand ..have they become that rare? Or have the uber expensive SS razors bumped the entire market? Yeah, I've gone there too but sheesh

I got this one here on B&B probably four years ago for $150.00. I thought it a fair price for an unusable Toggle. At the time it was securely jammed with shaving crud and most certainly not usable. But with some soaking and time and work it loosened up bit by bit until eventually it was good to go. Mind you, there was no assurance it was able to be fixed.

The appealing part of it to me is the normal wear, the plating loss from use - it shows its normal aging going on. That adds a great deal to the value in my eye - it makes it authentic.

As to performance? It is right up there with a Fat Boy of mine or any number of other razors that I have in rotation. So it is about the rarity of it more than performance that adds value.

IMG_4949.jpeg

Inflation isn't helping, nor are ebay's filthy lies about lower fees under managed payments that actually seem a twinge higher somehow. It seems like people are factoring this into asks lately

R

romsitsa

Hello, asking prices can be misleading.
Look at the sold listings on the Bay and calculate an average, this will be pretty close to the actual market price/value.

garyg

Hello, asking prices can be misleading.
Look at the sold listings on the Bay and calculate an average, this will be pretty close to the actual market price/value.

Understand - this wasn't one of those wild Flea Bay asking prices, that's not where I saw it - but could be of the same ilk I guess.

R

romsitsa

If it will sell and there will be a couple of others in the same range, now this could mean a trend. Till then it's only a wish from the sellers side.

I like Toggles but the performance increase over a Fatboy is not worth the increase is cost. This includes the F4 Chrome Toggle, even tho it has a different head than a std toggle. While I've never used a Bottom Dial, im pretty sure it has the same head as a std Toggle and a Red Dot Fatboy.

The Toggle is a little smoother than a Fatboy. Not by much.

Save your $$$. It just isn't worth it, to me...and I still have several that never, ever get used.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I recently saw a promo for a replated one not on the bay $1300
Maybe this is what op is referring to.
There are several instances of sellers from eBay, Etsy and equipment shops that are offering toggles in the 1300 to 1500 range.
I think it's an optimistic concept if the buyer is a user like most folks here, but all it takes is a collector with a little extra cash to make it viable.

I had a Toggle but sold it. I completely understand the allure but I never warmed to the design. I love my Slim. Seems all the Gillette Adjustables have exploded for some reason - Red Dots too, which is one I would really like to own…

garyg

I recently saw a promo for a replated one not on the bay $1300
Maybe this is what op is referring to.
I was trying to avoid naming names, so maybe you are right. As said earlier, I have them all save the bottom dial and the Red Dot .. but the only one I shave with is a brassy Fatboy

The Toggle and the Fatboy are highly collectible and priced accordingly. If you want a Gillette adjustable that shaves as well or better but costs far, far less, get a Slim. I found mine at an antique store for $15. Shave ready, ultra efficient at setting 9 w a Lord Plat. IMHO leave the Toggles for those who collect rather than shave.

Inflation isn't helping, nor are ebay's filthy lies about lower fees under managed payments that actually seem a twinge higher somehow. It seems like people are factoring this into asks lately
Lies indeed & I don't plan to use them to sell anything again. The fees were bad enough before, you have to ask a fair bit above just to break even and not lose money on some items which buyers don't realize and think you are price gouging them.

The Toggle and the Fatboy are highly collectible and priced accordingly. If you want a Gillette adjustable that shaves as well or better but costs far, far less, get a Slim. I found mine at an antique store for $15. Shave ready, ultra efficient at setting 9 w a Lord Plat. IMHO leave the Toggles for those who collect rather than shave.
I use mine regularly, and wouldn't have it any other way. If you have the money to spend and you really want one its worth it but I realize everyone's situation is different. Our hobby is still cheap compared to a lot of others...

I have a feeling they are charging final value fee on the sales tax they collect that we obviously never see in our money and not saying so. If they are there will probably be a class action someday

Top Bottom