What's new

What is your facial prep prior to edge touching face?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I know that we all have different faces and prepare to suit our needs and desires, but what is your facial prep prior to actually shaving? I am interested in what others do. Mine is:
  1. Was whole of face with hot water and bath soap.
  2. Rinse face with water to remove all traces of bath soap.
  3. Dry face with towel, except where I am going to shave.
  4. Wet save area some more with shave brush that has been dipped in cold water.
  5. (I use a shaving soap stick and face lather.) Dip tip of shave stick in water and apply soap to face.
  6. Lather soap on face.
  7. Strop razor on clean leather strop about 50-60 laps.
  8. Use shaving brush to add water to face lather until I achieve my desired hydration etc.
  9. Commence shaving.

1. Apply hot water to face.
2. Apply Cremo thinly as a Pre-Shave.
3. Brush teeth..
4. Work up lather in shuttle.
5. Apply lather to face.
6. Strop razor about 20-30 laps.
7 . Shave.
8 . Apply lather and shave 2 more times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's mine.
  1. Start shower as hot as it will go to get some steam going
  2. Soak brush
  3. Get in shower, work some shampoo into whiskers and mustache, leave it until almost done (sometimes I'll prelather with Cremo cream if I'm using that instead of shampooing)
  4. Rinse with cold water
  5. Load brush and work up lather in mug (unless I already did Cremo), lather face
  6. Strop
  7. Paint a little more fresh lather on
  8. Shave
If I don't have time to shower, I don't shave. My face is happier this way.

Strop the razor.

Hot water (as hot as you can stand is best). Sponge. Press sponge loaded with hot water gently on face. Repeat on each part of face 2-3 times.

Apply shaving stick to face and "paint" in as much water as it will take, a little bit at a time. I've got a soft, floppy cashmere brush which works really well for face-lathering.

When the soap is getting sloppy and can't take any more water, fluff it up and shave.

1.Put brush in shower, along with me.
2.Dry off and put the brush in the basin with hot water so it is saturated
3.Slice some soap off a puck & put into stainless steel bowl
4.Shake brush to remove excess water
5.Make lather
6.Wet face
7.Apply lather
8.Strop 20-30 laps
9.Shave

I only need to take a shower , come out apply either Barbados foam or brush and soap . Then shave , this works best for me. No razor pull or irritation.

Before razor touches face:
1 Scrub face with rag and very hot water
2 Apply Col Conk, usually Lime, mentholated, from a shave stick tube
3 Lather up, loading brush, and wash lather off face
4 Lather and wash again
5 Lather again and lightly rinse brush
6 Strop on clean linen and leather if an SR shave. Or AutoStrop. If SE/DE/injector/shavette shave, check hardware and load chosen blade as required.
7 Wash face with very hot water
8 Apply shave stick or load brush from soap puck or container
9 Face lather, then build additional wetter lather using soapy brush, hot water and small bowl
10 Adjust lather wetness on face
11 Rest brush in my 'brush scuttle/lather bowl'

Basically a lot of busy work to take the place of simply lathering and waiting a few minutes for my stubble to hydrate. I am easily bored. If I am shaving after a shower, step 6 and 8-11 is all that is needed. I might go for all the luxurious face stimulation anyway.

My routine is partly dictated by the very dry conditions here, and partly dictated by my testing that found that three minutes of shave cream on my face softens my whiskers much better than two. Also, cold water shave, because it completely eliminated skin irritation, unless something's off with the edge.

1. Strop razor, put it well away from the bathroom
2. Put brush to soak, trickle water on soap, splash water on face.
3. Lather up
4. Wet a shave towel, wrap it around my face and neck, hold tight from the back with one hand, while I browse B&B for three minutes with the other hand, the mouse hand.
5. Wipe off lather, lather up again, hydrate as needed on face, shave.

I like to try and keep to a routine also.

1. Get the gear ready, choose soap and brush and razor, get towel out of linen cupboard
2. Strop razor
3. If badger brush put in the sink with water to soak, bloom soap if using hard soap
3. Have shower and wash face with Nivea face wash, dry off etc and put some sort of clothing on
4. If no shower - put on some sort of pre-shave
5. If Sunday night get bluetooth speaker and phone ready, choose music and press play
6. Prepare Lather - scuttle/bowl if using a cream, face lather if soap
7. Lather up
8. Shave

cheers
Andrew

I strop my razor the evening before. 25 linen, 50 leather. In the morning I shower. Then to prep for my shave -- warm water splash, then load brush, face lather, then shave. Simple.

Strop razor 50 laps
Soak Badger brush in mug of warm water
Shower
Get dry but leave face and hair wet
Apply preshave, Proraso or Trumper skin food
Choose soap
Load
Face lather

Im really into skin care and prep
I use a good facial scrub or face wash dedicated ti the task

I then use hot towel to prep face, never used a pre shave but could be useful

I also use a good face moisturizer

Lots company’s have dedicated products for men.
Men’s Skin Care is the hot nee game in town

Keilhs , Anthony Logistics etc and others

Shave soaps , recent artisans like Wholly Kaw,,, and others have up the skin care game and oust feels

Skin prep is an essential part of my routine

Wash face with hand soap and rinse.
Leave face wet while stropping razor.
Apply more water with brush, load face with stick, build lather and shave.

Top Bottom