What's new

What's Your Breakfast?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
For the first morning in a week it's cool enough to cook. Mrs. Hippie laid out skillet cornbread this morning -- for you cornbread afficianadi she's got Arkansas roots so you know this ain't sweet Northern cornbread. Not that I'm criticising -- my father liked Illinois style cornbread which is what some folks from Arkansas consider "north" but my mother (from farther north) didn't like it. So I grew up in a bicultural household. :)

Slathered on some of my peach-orange marmalade, and had a big cup of coffee with.

O.H.
Sounds great. I grew up eating cornbread as well but not the sweet kind. Real butter and honey is what we put on ours. I guess it was South Texas thing. Sometimes my grandmother would include whole corn kernels and chopped up jalapeños with a little cheese.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Sounds great. I grew up eating cornbread as well but not the sweet kind. Real butter and honey is what we put on ours. I guess it was South Texas thing. Sometimes my grandmother would include whole corn kernels and chopped up jalapeños with a little cheese.

It's funny. I'll eat cornbread and corn on the cob in the same meal, but I get all twitchy when presented with cornbread with kernels in it. Mrs. Hippie and I both make cornbread. I use home churned buttermilk, onion and jalapeno in mine and also tend more toward muffins or corn sticks than skillet cornbread. Makes comparing recipes harder and reduces the opportunities to "show up" the other person.

O.H.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius

I didn't know what sweet cornbread was for a good part of my life.

Mine is all cornmeal, along with a little onion and cheese and, maybe, some other goodies (jalapenos, Hatch chiles, rosemary, cumin, who knows?)

b1.jpg
b2.jpg

Breakfast burritos with sage sausage, eggs, leftover truffle burrata

Breakfast bri on cracked wheat sourdough Toast. It’s so simple and delicious it’s worth facing the annoying shoppers at Trader Joe’s.View attachment 1294360

My favorite bread and cheese! In fact, if you go to Trader Joe's and have not yet tried it, you need to pick up a wedge of TJ's brie and wild mushroom. It is fantastic, especially on a cracked whole wheat cracker topped with a blob of honey.

This cheese has a permanent spot on my TJ shopping list.

Tim

Sometimes it's not what you have for breakfast that's important but where you are eating breakfast. Case in point, I am on a highly anticipated and much needed vacation in Saranac Lake, NY. Rented a small 3 bedroom house right on Moody Pond through airBnB. Here is breakfast and here is a view of the pond across from the front porch -

20210714_084127.jpg

20210714_083949.jpg

I went fishing after breakfast and managed to catch this little guy who was not much bigger than my lure.

20210714_162610.jpg

Tim

Last edited:
I want to highlight not what I had for breakfast as much as the awesome new hot sauce I came across while on vacation in the Saranac Lake/Lake Placid, NY area.

I picked up this hot sauce at a Jerky place in Lake Placid. The selection of hot sauces almost rivaled the variety of jerky the shop had to offer.

20210717_085157.jpg

20210717_085206.jpg

What is really nice about this sauce is not only is it hot but it also is incredibly flavorful. It has a basil 'forward' flavor without it being overwhelmed by the heat.

Tim

The stars of this morning's breakfast were some pan-fried tomatoes fresh from my garden. I sautéed them in a little butter and olive oil with a few basil leaves thrown in. YUM! -

20210731_071108.jpg

Tim

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I want to highlight not what I had for breakfast as much as the awesome new hot sauce I came across while on vacation in the Saranac Lake/Lake Placid, NY area.

I picked up this hot sauce at a Jerky place in Lake Placid. The selection of hot sauces almost rivaled the variety of jerky the shop had to offer.

View attachment 1300644
View attachment 1300645

What is really nice about this sauce is not only is it hot but it also is incredibly flavorful. It has a basil 'forward' flavor without it being overwhelmed by the heat.

Tim
That looks delicious.

Top Bottom