What's new

July 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

still in - SOTD
IMG_0536.jpg

Pre:-
Razor: Schick Krona
Blade: Personna Platinum Germany 2nd use
Brush: Shavemac D01-2 Band
Soap: SMdF
Result: DFS+

The Schick with the Personna works very well for me and SMdF will be my soap of the summer. I absolutely love the scent.
Have a great day!

linty1

My wallet cries.
0A4B872F-FAD4-43FD-88F5-1982B63D4A10.jpeg

Still in,

finally got a shave in the new place, settled on this. This razor feels quite aggressive after using the tech head for two weeks. How many blades are in a pack of proguards? 15? I've had this pack for ages and just keeps going... been waiting to try to kai milds.

SOTD
  • Thin-cap Old Type
  • Nacet (1)
  • Stirling Orange Chill
  • Beagle (butterscotch fan)
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Stirling Bay Rum ASB
  • Vintage Avon Bay Rum AS
I did myself no favors today. My offenses were all minor, but cumulative. I was rushed, I had several days of growth, I'm finding that the Stirling OC doesn't give a very slick lather (though I'm still working to figure it out, and rushing doesn't help), the OT is aggressive (for me) and I used a new blade. As a result, despite working with a very light touch, my neck was full of pink lather and I'm pretty sure that applying the aftershave gave me a glimpse of the afterlife.

I think the Old Type will have to be relegated to use with a broken-in blade and a proven, cushioning soap. The last time I used it, the blade had several shaves on it and the soap was Tabac. I got a tiny nick, but nothing like this.

Still, my cheeks are smooth, so that's something.

Onward!

SOTD
  • Thin-cap Old Type
  • Nacet (1)
  • Stirling Orange Chill
  • Beagle (butterscotch fan)
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Stirling Bay Rum ASB
  • Vintage Avon Bay Rum AS
I did myself no favors today. My offenses were all minor, but cumulative. I was rushed, I had several days of growth, I'm finding that the Stirling OC doesn't give a very slick lather (though I'm still working to figure it out, and rushing doesn't help), the OT is aggressive (for me) and I used a new blade. As a result, despite working with a very light touch, my neck was full of pink lather and I'm pretty sure that applying the aftershave gave me a glimpse of the afterlife.

I think the Old Type will have to be relegated to use with a broken-in blade and a proven, cushioning soap. The last time I used it, the blade had several shaves on it and the soap was Tabac. I got a tiny nick, but nothing like this.

Still, my cheeks are smooth, so that's something.

Onward!
I‘m still evaluating the finer points between Thin Cap and Thick Cap but the at least I have to watch the Thin Cap closely otherwise it will bite.

52234EED-2DB6-45B9-83FF-F8E8CE6EEC92.jpeg

no date code Old Type on Razorock UFO
D817AE67-2116-48B9-8FB4-593A8E664C8D.jpeg

Still in.

Very happy shave today with my "why do I even have any other razor" razor.
1625610873587.png

In the bowl is my new Beagle/Shavemac brush, a black/brown bulb that I am enjoying so much, it already feels as though of course I have always used it.

I experimented a bit with dryer lather today, after a conversation on another thread, and it worked out well. Can't say it was better, except for not dripping lather on my torso, but it was not, as I had expected, worse. I'm also trying to use even less pressure than the "no pressure" I was using before. Superb results, so I'm going to continue in that direction.

Day 6, 19.4% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: MWF
Brush: Men-U boar
GC.84 SB, Astra SP #1
Post-shave: Nivea Balm.

Got the best neck shave I can remember so far. Not 100% BBS, but a good even DFS, and just as important, without irritation. If it's repeatable, I've found the elusive perfect ATG angle.

PS, finally made a 5mm hole in the middle of the MWF puck.

Last edited:
Still in.

VERY hard to believe, but with the exception of the ShaveMac B&B Group Buy Beagle, I haven’t bought anything shaving related in almost 2 months. 😱

I pick up a new vehicle this week and I think browsing the internets for a few little add ons to make it more fancy smancy will distract me from shaving gear for a while as well. 👍

Still in.

SOTD
Gillette Adjustable 195, set on 7
Wilkinson Super-Sword Edge
MdC Original soap
Simpsons Chubby 2
Thayers WH
SV Stella Alpina aftershave sample
Frag: Amouage Epic

It was just a shave. I was a bit lazy and didn't do the best job of it. I had my second vax jab the other day, feeling a bit knocked out while I recover from that.

I also had a delivery today for Martin de Candre in the Loire valley. I received the Shaving Soap, Chamomile & Lemon Oil and a bunch of regular soaps, stuff I ordered last month that put me out of the GRUME. Easily the most fragrant package ever, so customs had opened it up to make sure there wasn't anything else in there!

Still in, trying out a Parker Premium Platinum blade in the Rocca. Shave 1 went very well and the SV soap performance was top notch again!

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Hawkins & Brimble Face Wash
- Jack Black Face Buff Scrub
- Truefitt and Hill Pre-shave Oil
- Saponificio Varesino Opuntia

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- Stirling Tea Tree, Witch Hazel & Aloe
- Hylamide Serums
- Arran Lochranza Aftershave Balm
- Jack Black Double-Duty Face Moisturiser

Tools