What's new

Estate sale find is my new favorite razor!

Found this at an estate sale for $1. It was well tarnished/patina'd so I cleaned it up with brass/metal cleaner. It shined up great. Disregard the water marks, I've been using it every day lately and haven't had a chance to clean it up again yet.

I'm not sure exactly which razor it is and from what year, but it says pat pending 1920., Gillette and Made in USA. I think maybe it is an Aristrocrat? Not sure.

Anyways it is an Open Comb razor. I was previously scared to try an open comb since I read they are aggressive but this one is not too aggressive for me! Produces a flawless shave pretty much every time!

Couldn't be more pleased...

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
From an old classic that has more to offer, it makes me happy to see you saved a classic and are enjoying it in your daily rotation. Restoration projects are so fulfilling! Thanks for sharing.

Hard to tell from the pictures because of the angle, but I think that one is the 15 mm variety of New Deluxe. They made 15 mm and 17 mm types; the distance referring to the width of the baseplate. The 15 mm style has longer teeth. Both are fantastic shavers (almost as good as my British flat-bottom New, but not quite). Unbelievable to get one for a buck! Congratulations.

Great find. Congratulations. Are there any cracks in the handle? Those were prone to that happening over time.

Great find. Congratulations. Are there any cracks in the handle? Those were prone to that happening over time.

There is what looks to be a crack near the top of the handle (see first photo). Although it looks more like a gash than a crack.

A great find at an incredible price. Congratulations to you! Those vintage open combs just look daunting at first but once you get past that they're great shavers. Even though so many of the modern razors are based on their design, you can't beat a vintage shave. Enjoy!!

Top Bottom