What's new

Gillette Rocket HD .. rhodium doors??

Had delivery of two Rocket HD`s today. Both were in quite dirty condition when bought, but a little soak and scrub with a toothbrush brought them looking good.
I was happy to discover one was an aluminium handled 1953 58g model. I have had quite a few pass through my hands, but this was the first of this type.

The other is a 71g pat pending 694 093 fully brass model. I understand these are the later HD`s ... but on cleaning, the doors have that glossy rhodium look to it. I have compared it to my other HD`s and my Aristocrats, and the door look more similar to the Aritocrats shine than the HD`s which all have the colder and shallower shine to them.

I know Gillette had a rep for mixing and matching bits; so does anyone know of any rhodium plated doors on other razors? or if they plated the razors as a unit or individual parts??

R

romsitsa

Never saw a rhodium plated HD, but it could be. Razors were plated in parts, then assembled, that's for sure.

Thanks.

I know from later flare tip Rockets that the later ones had a shinier nickel plating - which typically have noticeably more plate loss around the bar and underside than the earlier versions.
However the HD in question plating is not so much brighter, just has a deeper glossier smoother shine.

Would I be correct in guessing the doors of a HD would be same size/fit as a 4th generation Aristocrat?

Once it's fully cleaned today I shall take better look.

R

romsitsa

Heads are the same. It's hard to describe, but easy to notice the difference, nickel will have a grey, green or brownish hue while rhodium is white, like silver but a bit brighter.
Some flare tips were rhodium plated, not the handle, the whole razor.

Top Bottom