What's new

What's Your Breakfast?

Went simple and (relatively) light this morning. Toasted everything bagel with smoked salmon cream cheese spread, fresh cantaloupe (first of the season and it was quite good), and Nespresso Venezia coffee.

20210625_065227.jpg

Tim

Breakfast from a few days back was the last slice of Lemon Chess pie (from Trader Joe's) and a cup of coffee.

20210621_070856.jpg

I must say I really enjoyed this lemon pie. It was the first time I had ever heard of and tried a chess pie. The texture of the lemon custard was velvety smooth and not sickeningly sweet like most grocery store bought lemon or lime based pies.

Tim

Decided to play around with an cast iron skillet. Nothing fancy. I picked up the one below made by Masterclass from Home Goods for under $10. I seared some scallions and a sausage patty and placed them on a slice of smoky Gouda, all of which is hidden under the two eggs.

20210626_071113.jpg

20210626_071511.jpg

Tim

This morning was French toast made with thick-sliced French Brioche bread from Trader Joe's. Of course, mine had to be slathered in maple syrup and topped with walnuts.

This was a big hit with my daughters who are not big on breakfast.

20210630_084757.jpg

Tim

Basil omellete, part 2. Used more leaves, cut them more coarsely and sautéed them with onions and peppers in the skillet rather than whisk them raw into the eggs.

View attachment 1280634

The basil had a more forward flavor this way. Also wanted to give a "shout out" to Mr. Purnell for making excellent country pork sausage patties.
View attachment 1280635

Picked these up at Walmart and I must say they are pretty inexpensive yet quite tasty. Not sure what the "medium" refers to, but the sausages have a nice bit of spice to them. Maybe medium refers to the spice intensity.

Tim
How many old folks does it take to make two dozen sausages?

Used my cast iron skillet to sauté some onions, mushrooms, and peppers along with a pork sausage pattie. Then I cracked 3 eggs into the skillet and let it bake for a bit before topping it with American cheese and crushed cheese nips for a little crunch. A minute or two under the broiler and here's the final product -

20210706_071536.jpg

20210706_071744.jpg

Tim

The other day, I had some nice rosemary infused bread from Whole Foods so I decided to make some bird's nest eggs for myself. Pulled some bread out from the middle of the slices, buttered them, and toasted in a stainless steel skillet over a low flame.

Then I cracked eggs into the center, layered some sauted veggies in between the two slices. I also had a nice slice of tick-cut smoked bacon from the local butcher -

20210704_074234.jpg

20210704_074328.jpg

Tim

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
For the first morning in a week it's cool enough to cook. Mrs. Hippie laid out skillet cornbread this morning -- for you cornbread afficianadi she's got Arkansas roots so you know this ain't sweet Northern cornbread. Not that I'm criticising -- my father liked Illinois style cornbread which is what some folks from Arkansas consider "north" but my mother (from farther north) didn't like it. So I grew up in a bicultural household. :)

Slathered on some of my peach-orange marmalade, and had a big cup of coffee with.

O.H.

Top Bottom