What's new

MdC and benzoin

I came across a bunch of threads that mention the use of benzoin in MdC shave soaps. Do any of the MdC scents not use benzoin?

Also, why is this used and why is it not mentioned in the ingredients?

Last edited:
I've tried all of MdC's soaps (currently rotating 4) and I don't notice any benzoin in the Agrumes scent.

I've tried all of MdC's soaps (currently rotating 4) and I don't notice any benzoin in the Agrumes scent.

How old was your jar? I’ve had two, one in the old packaging and one in the new. The old packaging was pure lemon. The new had a bit of a resinous note in the scent which I assume was benzoin. May have been an anomaly.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I spoke with Isabel about it a year or two ago, it’s used to ’fix’ scents and she mentioned that it had antiseptic properties. The scent goes away pretty rapidly anyway, if you buy their benzoin bath soap (which I like BTW) you’ll be hard pressed to smell it after some time.

How old was your jar? I’ve had two, one in the old packaging and one in the new. The old packaging was pure lemon. The new had a bit of a resinous note in the scent which I assume was benzoin. May have been an anomaly.

200g new packaging, for me the the benzoin note is strongest in the rose and nature scents.

I don't think you'll find it in their unscented Nature soap.
There is. I’ve owned the Nature version and it has a weird resin smell (it’s well documented in this forum that MdC Nature is not unscented). I sold mine, but I don’t mind the benzoin mixed in with the other scents like Original and Fougere

Just heard back from MdC. I had only asked about Vetyver because that's the one I have on order. They said it doesn't contain benzoin. I asked a follow up question on which other scents don't have it. Will update when I hear back.
I don't like the way it smells at all. Turned me off of MdC completely.
You could give the Vetyver a try. :)

I haven't heard back from MdC about the other scents yet.

But I did receive my vetyver yesterday. Took about 8 or 9 days to get here. I really liked the scent and couldn't wait to try it which I did this morning. So far I am liking it way better than the original. But maybe because it's the new toy. :D

I did finally hear back from MdC.

The only 2 scents that don't contain benzoin are:

Vetyver
Agrumes

All others contain benzoin.

Top Bottom