What's new

Muhle is launching a LE R41 Stainless Steel

The R41 was probably the most efficient DE razor i've ever had, but somehow the shaves weren't as enjoyable or comfortable enough and it felt rough, tuggy with small blade chatter even with sharper blades. I kept mine for only when I need a fast shave with less passes, but them I've got a MMOC, which is basically an R41 on steroids, but also much smoother and comfortable and I had to sell my R41.

The comfort of the R41 depends on the blade. I tried Feathers and they were very rough, uncomfortable and did not give me a close shave. When I tried Astra SP, it was much smoother, more comfortable and i got a much closer shave.

When I got my regular version R41 a couple of months ago, I was very surprised at how light it was. I had been using the KCG razor up until that point and the R41 felt like a feather in my hand. But it is now my daily driver, I love it with a Shark SS/Astra SS/Lord Platinum in it, it's just a joy to use. I'll definitely think about the stainless version.

Also when I tried my Muhle head cover on both the heads I found the R41GS was loose inside the cover, while the Zamak R41 was a lot tighter inside the cover

Funny you should notice this. I noticed the same thing not with the two razors that you referenced but with a Muhle R89 razor and the Edwin Jagger DE89. The Jagger is much looser in the the cover whereas the Muhle has a nice snug fit. I chalked it up to thicker chrome plating on the Muhle.

M

member 119848

You should be fine if you got four days, for as many as you want to go. I borrowed my neighbors and did a month straight. It's not the most comfortable shave while at task, but once done, there is no razor that has left me as close with zero irritation.

I have to buy one soon.
I have shaved for 10 days in a row with the R41GS and never got irritation. So with proper technique it could be used daily.
What made me stop shaving with this razor is the tugging. (I had the same experience with the chromed zamak version)

20210612_202951-01.jpeg

Shaved off four days worth of growth yesterday. No tugging... blade was a german Wilkinson Sword (6).
I wonder if the amount of stubble (daily driver vs. twice a week) has an impact on the tugging you experienced?

I have shaved for 10 days in a row with the R41GS and never got irritation. So with proper technique it could be used daily.
What made me stop shaving with this razor is the tugging. (I had the same experience with the chromed zamak version)
Tugging. Are you using a steep angle?

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Tugging. Are you using a steep angle?
Can't speak for @Fabi but I used as steep angle, (handle more toward the floor) with the R41 than most any other razor I've ever used. Had to. It's no cap rider for me. I do get tugging. That's what I'm talking about when I say it's not super pleasant during the shave. Afterward, zero irritation, so I'll put up with the tugging. (tugging no worse than with Genesis OneBlade).

Tugging for me is reduced by using the sharpest blades I can. Usually Feathers. Personna Med pre worked well too. I tried Derby, Astra (green and white box) and a couple Gillette blades, but they were worse.

20210618_155701-01.jpeg
3 smooth passes, which led to a highly efficient shave (I opted for a almost neutral angle today instead of a steep angle). The R41 GS mowed down two days worth of growth with ease. No nicks or irritation, just a silky smooth skin, BBS galore... and no tugging.

Sold my R41 GS. I'm disappointed about the need to look if the blade if evenly aligned. For a CNC machined stainless steel at that price point I expect tolerances other vendors offer for less money.
This is understandable. I would have returned my razor without hesitation if my GS had shown any misalignment. I'm glad I don't have to, though. I just drop the blade and call it a day....

Sold my R41 GS. I'm disappointed about the need to look if the blade if evenly aligned. For a CNC machined stainless steel at that price point I expect tolerances other vendors offer for less money.
There may well be some QC issues. The first R41 GS I ordered came with a badly bent bottom plate. They shipped me a complete new razor without any hesitation.

There may well be some QC issues. The first R41 GS I ordered came with a badly bent bottom plate. They shipped me a complete new razor without any hesitation.

I bought my on the very first day they offered the R41 GS on their website. Maybe there were quality issues on the first batch. See the problems they had with the Rocca.

Top Bottom