What's new

Vector/Proline blade alignment

I was just about to try the popular combo of Blackland Vector and Schick Proline, but I hit a problem.

The shape of one of the slots in the blade allows the alignment post in the top cap to nestle in slightly. As a result, the blade doesn't sit perfectly straight when the razor is assembled (see pictures). Has anyone else had this issue?

Attachments

• proline (2).jpg
    proline (2).jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 167
  • proline plus vector (2).jpg
    proline plus vector (2).jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 178
  • Vector proline dark background.jpg
    Vector proline dark background.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 183
It appears as though the problem is that the pin that secures the blade is small enough to fit into the little indentation of the blade. Given how popular both the Vector and the Proline appear to be, it is surprising to me that nobody has mentioned this before.

Can you just move the blade a little further leftward when loading so that the pin sits in the long thin part of the groove and then tighten it down so it doesn't slip into the little spot at the end?

It appears as though the problem is that the pin that secures the blade is small enough to fit into the little indentation of the blade. Given how popular both the Vector and the Proline appear to be, it is surprising to me that nobody has mentioned this before.

Can you just move the blade a little further leftward when loading so that the pin sits in the long thin part of the groove and then tighten it down so it doesn't slip into the little spot at the end?

The overall alignment is so immaculate that there is no room for that, as far as I can tell.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Has anyone else had this issue?

I have a lot of shaves in using the Vector SB and OC plates loaded with the Schick Proline and have never seen this issue.

The blade alignment is perfect and the blade is securely held in place with zero play.

Did you try flipping the blade to see if the problem still persists? Might point to one post that is slightly undersized?

I have a lot of shaves in using the Vector SB and OC plates loaded with the Schick Proline and have never seen this issue.

The blade alignment is perfect and the blade is securely held in place with zero play.

Did you try flipping the blade to see if the problem still persists? Might point to one post that is slightly undersized?
If this is the polished version, I can see this being the case. I've also not noticed this problem but I'd have to go back and check. Also, I have the machined heads.

I have the polished SB version and I don’t have this issue. I just checked and have zero play. Tolerances are very tight and well machined.

It's the machined version. I think both alignment posts are the same size; the slope is just as obvious from the other direction when the blade is flipped.

How does it shave? Have you tried? I'm wondering if everyone experiences the same thing but the shave is unaffected, thus no one has noticed yet?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
How does it shave? Have you tried? I'm wondering if everyone experiences the same thing but the shave is unaffected, thus no one has noticed yet?

I disassemble, thoroughly rinse and dry my razor and blade after each shave. When I load the blade for my next shave, I verify that everything is lined up. I've never had to readjust anything on my Vector. :cool:

I was just about to try the popular combo of Blackland Vector and Schick Proline, but I hit a problem.

The shape of one of the slots in the blade allows the alignment post in the top cap to nestle in slightly. As a result, the blade doesn't sit perfectly straight when the razor is assembled (see pictures). Has anyone else had this issue?

Yes! I had the exact same issue on my first or second use of a Proline blade in my Vector, but didn't realize it until after a really rough shave. You are lucky you checked first. Kai and Feather have holes that are shaped differently and prevent this problem.

If I recall, it might have worked to tap the razor in the proper direction just before tightening it fully to get the Proline to seat evenly.

Nice job capturing the misalignment in a photo.

This seems almost impossible (obviously it's not) when you consider the tolerances and the fact that it's already aligned by two posts (the opposite post and the center post which is pretty wide!)

This is baffling. I really need to get mine out and play with this combo.

I only own the (polished) safety bar Vector, but have used it primarily with Prolines for 16 months now. I've never, ever had an issue with blade alignment (also have used a couple versions of Feathers; Kai Captain Titan Milds; Kai Protouch, also without issue). Strange.

Yes! I had the exact same issue on my first or second use of a Proline blade in my Vector, but didn't realize it until after a really rough shave. You are lucky you checked first. Kai and Feather have holes that are shaped differently and prevent this problem.

If I recall, it might have worked to tap the razor in the proper direction just before tightening it fully to get the Proline to seat evenly.

Nice job capturing the misalignment in a photo.

I tried to tighten up the assembly with the blade aligned, but it was a fiddly business, and I’m not convinced it worked.

I actually noticed the issue a while back, but given the popularity of this combination and the tolerances that the Vector is built to, I assumed I had a faulty pack of Prolines and ordered another pack. The pictures I posted are from the second pack.

I tried to tighten up the assembly with the blade aligned, but it was a fiddly business, and I’m not convinced it worked.

I actually noticed the issue a while back, but given the popularity of this combination and the tolerances that the Vector is built to, I assumed I had a faulty pack of Prolines and ordered another pack. The pictures I posted are from the second pack.
Have you contacted Shane about your problem? I'm sure he would be very interested to know about this...

@Blackland Razors

Late getting back to your issue. I just checked mine, and it is seated fine. The only crappy shaves I had were with single blades sent loose in a sleeve. Every brand shaved bad. My problem was solved by purchasing packs instead of individual blades. Not your issue, I know, but the frustration at first was almost overwhelming; to have spent that much money on a razor and get bad shaves. Hope your contact with Shane resolves the issue for you.

Late getting back to your issue. I just checked mine, and it is seated fine. The only crappy shaves I had were with single blades sent loose in a sleeve. Every brand shaved bad. My problem was solved by purchasing packs instead of individual blades. Not your issue, I know, but the frustration at first was almost overwhelming; to have spent that much money on a razor and get bad shaves. Hope your contact with Shane resolves the issue for you.

Luckily, I've had my Vector for a few months. I tried Prolines first (B&B recommendations), but I'd initially assumed the alignment problem was an issue with the blade, rather than the razor, and decided to come back to Prolines after trying out others.

I sold my DE razors after my first shave with the Vector. I have had so many enjoyable shaves, and I would find it hard to pick a favourite blade yet, but if I had to choose, I would keep the OC baseplate.

I'm not keen on guarded blades except for Feather Soft Guard. I get on well with Kai Captain/Captain mild and Feather Professional (except for those first couple of shaves). I couldn't get an enjoyable shave out of the Professional Super, but I did try them quite early on. I may give them another go at some point.

I recently got myself a Sabre, too (L2 plate). I found it a joy to use, and I particularly like the feel of the GEM blades, but after two mornings I started reaching for the Vector again.

Maybe the honeymoon isn't over yet.

I came across rumours of a titanium Vector, which sounds exciting, but it does make we wonder about weight.

Top Bottom