What's new

Ergonomics vs. aesthetics…

So, I’m building up my brush collection (up to a total of three now), and considering acquiring 3, 4 more, based on how they LOOK as well as FEEL (handle wise).

Got me thinking - do you gents prize ONE aspect over the other, and why?

Case in point - while I love the way “Kent” brushes LOOK, I would never actually get one, as I could see their handles would be uncomfortable for me to use, vs. my “Omega” professional boar brush, which, while not a “beaut,” feels nice in my hand.

What say you, gents?

Which do you prefer, and look for, when shopping for a new brush? 🤔

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I find the Kent BK4 extremely comfortable to use. I am a face latherer. It is easier for me to hold than the T2 or Chubby 1. I acknowledge I may be an outlier. Most ATT fans seem to prefer the 3" barber pole. I prefer the 3 1/2" with cross hatched knurling. In short, I like a grip that provides actual grippiness. The flared end on a Kent does just that.

Saponificio Varasino not only make great soaps, but very very Nice brushes. Very soft for face lathering . Superb brushes in every way.

My experience is that if I have a choice of tools for the job (fountain pens, shaving brushes, razors) the ones that don't inspire me will end up getting side-lined. Brushes with poor performance or ergonomics obviously don't inspire, but why use something you find ugly when you could use something that pleases you to look at?

There are enough decent brushes out there in enough styles that you don't have to choose between performance and looks. Even if you can't get the knot you want in the handle you want, you can have your preferred handle re-knotted or have one turned to your exact specifications by one of the brush makers here. You might even find that the doing this stops you buying ten brushes that aren't quite perfect in one way or another, thus saving you some cash despite the up-front expense.

Or you might end up with 50 brushes anyway. Some people just want the novelty of trying something new.

ERGONOMICALLY speaking, I’ve always been partial to Simpson’s “Persian Jar” design, which I owned in super badger, for many years… until it fell and CRACKED on my bathroom’s unforgiving ceramic tile floor. 😫

3783EC82-75DD-4630-9259-69AF9B894EC3.jpeg

I am going to have to try a PJ someday — when 'window shopping' I always pass it by. That handle looks uncomfortable and I imagine lather dripping down the sides (pet peeve). Yet it is a very popular handle shape so I can only assume that I am wrong (again).

I wouldn't live with an ugly brush, in spite of its performance.

But I wouldn't keep a poor performing brush (or razor) because of its good looks either.

I am going to have to try a PJ someday — when 'window shopping' I always pass it by. That handle looks uncomfortable and I imagine lather dripping down the sides (pet peeve). Yet it is a very popular handle shape so I can only assume that I am wrong (again).
“Uncomfortable?”

Compared to a “Kent?” (Sorry, Kent fans!)

As for “lather dripping down the sides,” that could happen with practically ANY handle design, except for one I saw with a “cone” shape. (If I find it, I’ll post a pic)

update - found it -

8D44F0DB-C778-41A5-9694-3A262F8D52C2.jpeg

Its an “Omega” available on both “WCS” and “Maggards”

Last edited:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
ERGONOMICALLY speaking, I’ve always been partial to Simpson’s “Persian Jar” design, which I owned in super badger, for many years… until it fell and CRACKED on my bathroom’s unforgiving ceramic tile floor. 😫

View attachment 1283978
I find the Commodore shape even more ergo than my Persian Jar.

But then I don't much care for the feel of a big Omega 10049 style like you.

I find the Commodore shape even more ergo than my Persian Jar.

But then I don't much care for the feel of a big Omega 10049 style like you.
re: the “Omega” - Agreed, it could be a BIT slimmer, but, like Simpson’s “PJ” profile, I like its sleekness and simplicity.

Simpson’s “Commodore”- another nice, simple, minimalist design. 👍🏼

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Really Ergonomic feel is just for us spoiled brush owners, but if you are spending some serious coin for a nice brush it might as well feel good in the hand IMO for those 2 -5 minutes of face massaging our lather. For larger hands this Yaqi barber pole 24mm type handle would be great IMO or this Yaqi lucky 26mm dice.
My five natural hair shave brushes..jpg
Yaqi #1 Roll of the lucky dice 26mm Tuxedo knot (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

For me the most important aspect is the knot. Then handle shape and material. That’s why I didn’t get along with Kent BKs - they look lovely but I found them to be super floppy. I have had Rudy Vey re knot handles that look nice but have poor knots. Best of both worlds.

Guess that I want it all! I appreciate smaller/mid sized badger knots with comfortable handles. I also enjoy variety and the fun of picking a ‘brush of the day’ that will be a bit different from the last one i used. :a29: :a29:

Top Bottom