What's new

Blacklands Sabre in Hand. Classy & Elegant Presentation.....

I had the best of both worlds for this morning's shave. I did the WTG pass with the Vector and its open comb plate on more than 24hrs whisker growth and a Proline blade (7). And the rest of the shave with the Sabre, Level 1 plate, and a Personna GEM blade, also on its 7th outing. My mug is almost glasslike as a result, and the shave was my goal of a Really Comfortable Shave that leaves my face refreshed, not irritated or tingling.

For the curious, I am switching to Sabre only for the remainder of June, making June my @Blackland Razors month!

I'm running into a slight issue with my Sabre. When reassembling, it's tough to line up the threads on the post and the handle. It tends to want to cross thread unless I get the angle just right. Is there a foolproof way to line them up?

I have the same problem some days. I take a breath, slow down, and try again.
That's fair, I usually can't tell until I've twisted it a couple times, and I'm being careful not to damage it. Didn't know if there was a trick to laying/standing the pieces a certain way to ensure they always line up. Glad to see I'm not alone, thanks for the response.

That's fair, I usually can't tell until I've twisted it a couple times, and I'm being careful not to damage it. Didn't know if there was a trick to laying/standing the pieces a certain way to ensure they always line up. Glad to see I'm not alone, thanks for the response.

I load all my razors the same way. After removing the handle I place the head upside down on my opened left palm (I’m right handed). Then I lift off the baseplate and place it on my palm right next to the top cap, load the blade onto the top cap, and place the baseplate back onto the top cap. Then grab the handle and screw it back on while the head is still laying upside down on my palm. For my Vector and Sabre, I find it easier to start threading the handle when I’m holding it like that vs when it’s on the counter or holding it with my finger tips.

I load all my razors the same way. After removing the handle I place the head upside down on my opened left palm (I’m right handed). Then I lift off the baseplate and place it on my palm right next to the top cap, load the blade onto the top cap, and place the baseplate back onto the top cap. Then grab the handle and screw it back on while the head is still laying upside down on my palm. For my Vector and Sabre, I find it easier to start threading the handle when I’m holding it like that vs when it’s on the counter or holding it with my finger tips.

I like that, I am going to try it tomorrow when I load a new blade. I do something very similar, but instead in my palm, the top cap assembly is on a cloth on the counter (cloth prevents it sliding away from me!). I never put it into my hand, because wuss! (Believe it or not, if I drop a blade, I jump back and have my hands in the air as if falling knives are coming my way 🤪 )

I just got a week of shaves on an L2 Sabre, machine finish, paired with a razorock super knurl handle. I’ve shaved pretty regularly with a streamline (too rough), featherweight (too mild) and a 1912 (just right). I also tried the V1 PAA starling but absolutely couldn’t get it to work for me and returned it. I’ve used an entire box of 100 modified GEMs in a OneBlade (very good shave, just a touch too mild). I’ve wanted to try other modern GEMs, and for a while the scene looked promising but every other GEM fizzled out of existence.

I hesitated to get the Sabre because I kept seeing comments that it’s “like the 1912,” insinuating that it’s no better than a vintage GEM. But, I came here to say that this is just not true. The clamping of the blade is dramatically more firm than any vintage GEM (or perhaps any razor, period), extending over the entire depth of this very deep and thick blade. The feel that this provides is nothing like a vintage GEM, or any DE or injector I have tried. On top of that, this razor nails the angle and exposure that’s just right for the GEM blade. There is a reason this razor owns the (minuscule) GEM razor market: it is superior. There’s just nothing wrong with it. Shane is a razor savant.

I’m just saying, if you hesitated to buy it, you can give in.

I just got a week of shaves on an L2 Sabre, machine finish, paired with a razorock super knurl handle. I’ve shaved pretty regularly with a streamline (too rough), featherweight (too mild) and a 1912 (just right). I also tried the V1 PAA starling but absolutely couldn’t get it to work for me and returned it. I’ve used an entire box of 100 modified GEMs in a OneBlade (very good shave, just a touch too mild). I’ve wanted to try other modern GEMs, and for a while the scene looked promising but every other GEM fizzled out of existence.

I hesitated to get the Sabre because I kept seeing comments that it’s “like the 1912,” insinuating that it’s no better than a vintage GEM. But, I came here to say that this is just not true. The clamping of the blade is dramatically more firm than any vintage GEM (or perhaps any razor, period), extending over the entire depth of this very deep and thick blade. The feel that this provides is nothing like a vintage GEM, or any DE or injector I have tried. On top of that, this razor nails the angle and exposure that’s just right for the GEM blade. There is a reason this razor owns the (minuscule) GEM razor market: it is superior. There’s just nothing wrong with it. Shane is a razor savant.

I’m just saying, if you hesitated to buy it, you can give in.
Nicely said, and I agree with you.

As good as it gets. One of the best dumb reach razors that I own. And what I mean is that when I have a day that I can’t figure out or make up my mind on what razor to use, I reach for this beauty right here. The Sabre & L2 combo. And it delivers every single time. The ease of use, the great cutting ability of the PTFE GEM blade and the geometry of the Sabre is simply world class. No, it’s not the best razor ever nor is it the best razor for everyone. But, if you want to get into the SE Gem bladed field and can’t quite get into the vintage realm for whatever reason whether it’s too old, too dirty, it was used by someone else or it’s simply just not to one’s liking, the Blackland Sabre is a real good option and the only option in modern/contemporary design in my humble opinion.

4+ years and going with the Sabre in my rotation. It never gets old or boring either….

BD667A6C-5854-4801-B722-A0F996886B83.jpeg

As good as it gets. One of the best dumb reach razors that I own. And what I mean is that when I have a day that I can’t figure out or make up my mind on what razor to use, I reach for this beauty right here. The Sabre & L2 combo. And it delivers every single time. The ease of use, the great cutting ability of the PTFE GEM blade and the geometry of the Sabre is simply world class. No, it’s not the best razor ever nor is it the best razor for everyone. But, if you want to get into the SE Gem bladed field and can’t quite get into the vintage realm for whatever reason whether it’s too old, too dirty, it was used by someone else or it’s simply just not to one’s liking, the Blackland Sabre is a real good option and the only option in modern/contemporary design in my humble opinion.

4+ years and going with the Sabre in my rotation. It never gets old or boring either….

View attachment 1335545

It has become my go to razor lately. Only had 5 shaves or so with it, but I’m shaving about the same as with my Parker variant which is my go to DE razor. It isn’t quite as mindless but as long as I keep the cap close to my face, I get a comfortable and reasonably close shave. No irritation, minimal weepers if I pay even a slight amount of attention, and an excellent shave.

Just a superb & wonderful shave this morning with to me, one of the more iconic modern day looking razors made today. The Blackbird from Blackland Razors may symbolize this manufacturer but, to me this razor embodies the ever thinking forward process of this manufacturer throughout their whole product line. I consider the Sabre to be one of the crowning achievements in Blacklands line up alongside the Vector. With the Sabre though there is no revolutionary design as it exemplifies more of a steady evolution of a GEM styled razor tool that has subtle styling & performance tweaks implemented to create a more comfortable and satisfying shaver to the wet shaving masses. It’s my favorite Blackland razor, period.

7EBA363F-13A9-411F-88E9-34B4A43F74F4.jpeg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Just a superb & wonderful shave this morning with to me, one of the more iconic modern day looking razors made today. The Blackbird from Blackland Razors may symbolize this manufacturer but, to me this razor embodies the ever thinking forward process of this manufacturer throughout their whole product line. I consider the Sabre to be one of the crowning achievements in Blacklands line up alongside the Vector. With the Sabre though there is no revolutionary design as it exemplifies more of a steady evolution of a GEM styled razor tool that has subtle styling & performance tweaks implemented to create a more comfortable and satisfying shaver to the wet shaving masses. It’s my favorite Blackland razor, period.

View attachment 1429985
The Sabre L2 is my favorite GEM blade razor. Outstanding in every way. 👍

Yes, the Sabre L2 & a fresh GEM SS ptfe blade. I use a bit more caution on the first two shaves with a new GEM blade installed as it helps in “breaking in” the blade and smoothing it out for the shaves to follow. I can palm stroppe it but, being cognizant of its characteristics just means a more focused shave. Plus, the Sabre with its design tempers those initial shaves beautifully. A great 3 pass with no touch ups left my skin free of irritation, nics or cuts. Brilliant in design that executes in sheer simplicity.

Great shaves to all….

82C82A0B-7D05-483D-A177-50F62674A315.jpeg

My favorite razor, and daily driver. I have trouble reaching for anything else. Best blend of efficiency and comfort I’ve personally found in a razor yet, and the gem ss ptfe blades don’t flex and cause weepers on my skin like DE blades do.

If you like gem blades, I think this is an incredibly worthwhile razor to own.

Here, here….. :thumbup1:

E416766C-DF86-4DF0-BB45-C2E6BB9F5228.gif

I ordered an L2 plate when the Sabre items were restocked on the Blackland website last weekend.
I shave every other day and usually do two passes with touch ups with most of my razors. The L1 plate would probably be fine if I shaved daily but I need more efficiency for every other day. I am hoping the L2 plate will fit the bill.

Top Bottom