What's new

What is the most beautiful DE razor in the world?

There is no inherent reason beauty and proficiency cannot go together in a razor, nor need they be expensive (especially after some discreet cloning).

Therefore, a simple question, with complications:

A) What is the most beautiful double-edge razor ever made, regardless of how well it shaves, regardless of price?

B) What is the most beautiful double-edge razor ever made that also shaves well, regardless of price?

C) What is the most beautiful double edge razor ever made that also shaves well and is affordably priced?

Pick one, if you can. Photos welcome. Judging by all the gorgeous photographs posted here, I bet you can't pick just one.

Frankly, I care more about how a razor shaves than how it looks. That said, I have a razor, which shall remain nameless, that I had the good fortune to snag at a reasonable price, that is a thrill to simply look at. And there is another that is quite beautiful in its sheer simplicity, that was not expensive.

On the other hand, there are the old single-edge safety razors, going back to the baroque Kampfe razors of the 1880s, some that were artistic fantasies, like the EDLA. But that is another matter.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.... What do you find beautiful?

Last edited:
R

romsitsa

Hand engraved Single rings (Aristocrat sets), fluted Kirby Beard, L’ESSOR dual comb, adjustable Myatt, Progress with the plastic base plate, there are a few with similat qualities.

For an affordable one maybe the 40ies Superspeed.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
While there are certainly more exotic designs, I think my Above the Tie Windsor with a copper plate and Kronos handle looks lovely in a very traditional and eye catching yet still unassuming way. It certainly shaves magnificently, a rather important attribute. By some standards it was ridiculously expensive, and by other standards it was a good deal. Although I lean towards believing it to have been a good deal, I concede that the price was high enough I did think twice before pulling the trigger.

Muhle Rocca with the matt black handle is a beautiful looking razor imo and it shaves very well, although there are others that shave me better. As far as price is concerned I'd say that it's good value for a stainless steel razor.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
My opinion is the very early Gillette DeLuxe sets. Intricate engraving and timeless beauty. Thanks to Mr. Razor for the pictures.

Ok, definitely not affordably priced, but still...

1906 Single Ring DeLuxe from Steve Dohring.jpg

1928 New Improved DeLuxe Hermann Koehl.jpg

1920s Old Type DeLuxe Canada.jpg

This is my most beautiful razor, took me years to track down
View attachment 1283732

Gorgeous! This is as close as I can get in my collection, a Cavalier set missing one blade case. I just bumped into it. I'm inclined to think that my ABC Shell razors are more tasteful. And my rhodium plated New Short Comb is incredibly shiny and shaves delightfully. And that is just from the vintage side. I find both my shiny PAA copper Ascension and my matte brass Karve OC very attractive as well.
C12CF22B-18B7-4197-9013-B80A5726F352.jpeg

Top Bottom