What's new

Blacklands Sabre in Hand. Classy & Elegant Presentation.....

I'm glad I found this thread. I've been a daily SE shaver (Gem G bar or featherweight) for about 12 years now. I have a decent variety of Gem/Eveready razors, but I found those two the most agreeable. I like the Feather AC blades, but they're too expensive for my tastes, so SE shaving hits the sweet spot between AC blades and DE blades. Every so often, I browse the internet in hopes that someone made a modern Gem blade razor. I've seen the AC single edge razors, the injectors, the half-DE blades, but somehow this one flew under my radar (considering the thread is 4 years old). While I consider the Sabre to be over-priced, I still bought one because I want to see more Gem razors, and I simply haven't found any alternatives. I'm looking forward to shaving with it once it arrives.

Congrats & many great shaves with the Sabre. Do post your findings. Always good to read others experiences and perspective on a shave tool... :shaving:

Congrats & many great shaves with the Sabre. Do post your findings. Always good to read others experiences and perspective on a shave tool... :shaving:

It arrived yesterday, so obviously I had to take it for a spin this morning. I'm sporting Friendly Muttonchops these days, so I only shave the chin, neck, and a bit of the cheek line. I used the L1 base plate, and had a fantastic shave. The website claims it's a 4/10 in terms of aggressiveness, that seems pretty fair to me. I would say my Gem featherweight is a touch milder, maybe a 3.7 on the same scale.

The design is fantastic. I do have concerns about the the longevity of the non-circular center post, but otherwise I love it. Due to it clamping on top/bottom of the blade's spine, it has a more compact head than any other Gem razor (Micromatic TTO is close-ish). The machining and balance feel great in hand. I'm going to give it some time, to ensure I'm not biased simply because it is new and expensive.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
It arrived yesterday, so obviously I had to take it for a spin this morning. I'm sporting Friendly Muttonchops these days, so I only shave the chin, neck, and a bit of the cheek line. I used the L1 base plate, and had a fantastic shave. The website claims it's a 4/10 in terms of aggressiveness, that seems pretty fair to me. I would say my Gem featherweight is a touch milder, maybe a 3.7 on the same scale.

The design is fantastic. I do have concerns about the the longevity of the non-circular center post, but otherwise I love it. Due to it clamping on top/bottom of the blade's spine, it has a more compact head than any other Gem razor (Micromatic TTO is close-ish). The machining and balance feel great in hand. I'm going to give it some time, to ensure I'm not biased simply because it is new and expensive.

Congratulations on your new Sabre. My favorite GEM blade razor! :thumbup:

Just received my new Sabre yesterday and tried it out this morning with the Level 1 baseplate (I also got the Level 2 plate). Too early to say that I love it, but I certainly like it a lot. There seems to be a sweet spot for maximum efficiency, but also has plenty of room to make it even more mild by changing to steeper angle. I've never used a SE razor before and there's a definite difference in feel from a DE razor. Looking forward to using it again in a couple days (I shave every other day).

proxy.php

@J-MN I look forward to reading about your journey. I got my Sabre just a couple of months ago. It seemed so audible compared to my Karve DE. But smooth, wow, was I impressed. I also received both plates, and Level 1 does the job very nicely. Level 2, right now requires a tad more attention, but I get a longer lasting shave with it, which is great for my work days (11 hours) where I need to look professional for folks, as I am in community pharmacy.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Just received my new Sabre yesterday and tried it out this morning with the Level 1 baseplate (I also got the Level 2 plate). Too early to say that I love it, but I certainly like it a lot.

The first shave on a fresh Gem blade can be a little rough. I find the second shave better, and shaves three and four very smooth. I shave my head, so I get six shaves out of a blade. Those who only shave their faces seem to get up to about ten good shaves pretty regularly.

O.H.

Well, it's been two weeks and I can safely say it's my favorite razor. The L1 base plate just hits the right amount of aggression for my sensitive skin. It gives a closer shave than a G-bar but doesn't cause irritation like the Micromatic. Not sure if I'll try the L2 plate.
The L2 plate is worth trying. For my face and technique it feels about the same smoothness as the L1. There is more blade feel/presence, but it never feels aggressive or harsh.
I find that I can pretty much get the same level if comfort and closeness with both L1 and L2, but I get better longevity with the L2. (Smoother longer)
I’m a huge fan of the Sabre (both plates) and I’m glad you love it.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The L2 plate is worth trying. For my face and technique it feels about the same smoothness as the L1. There is more blade feel/presence, but it never feels aggressive or harsh.
I find that I can pretty much get the same level if comfort and closeness with both L1 and L2, but I get better longevity with the L2. (Smoother longer)
I’m a huge fan of the Sabre (both plates) and I’m glad you love it.

I really like the L2. :cool:

Reactions: GNR
I received the Sabre level 2 yesterday and had my first shave with it this morning. It’s certainly a smooth shaver. I got a really comfortable shave, but as the day went on I was a little disappointed with how long it lasted. I started getting stubble grow back within just a few hours and it was pretty noticeable within 10 hours, which is usually the minimum I need a shave to last to get me through the work day.

I’m going to keep giving it a fair shot to see if I can tweak my technique at all to suit this razor, but initial impression is that it probably won’t be able to out perform the Vector for me. I’m open to suggestions if anyone has any.

2nd shave this morning with the Sabre lvl 2 after using my Vector the past 3 days. I think I was able to dial in the angle a little better and took a very shallow approach to find the sweet spot. The Sabre is extremely smooth, there's really no other shining characteristic to it more so than that. 3 passes and I got an extremely great shave. It's a fine razor, and I look forward to spending some more time with it. But after 2 shaves I'm still not as blown away by it as I am by the Vector. I only throw in that observation because I know a lot of people considering the Sabre are also looking hard at the Vector, not to take away from the Sabre in any way. Depending on what's most important to you and your personal preferences, I could easily see many favoring the Sabre over the Vector.

2nd shave this morning with the Sabre lvl 2 after using my Vector the past 3 days. I think I was able to dial in the angle a little better and took a very shallow approach to find the sweet spot. The Sabre is extremely smooth, there's really no other shining characteristic to it more so than that. 3 passes and I got an extremely great shave. It's a fine razor, and I look forward to spending some more time with it. But after 2 shaves I'm still not as blown away by it as I am by the Vector. I only throw in that observation because I know a lot of people considering the Sabre are also looking hard at the Vector, not to take away from the Sabre in any way. Depending on what's most important to you and your personal preferences, I could easily see many favoring the Sabre over the Vector.

That sounds about right. The Sabre was designed to be smooth and easy to use with efficiency secondary or tertiary. It was originally intended to be the kind of razor that anyone could pick up and get a decent shave with their eyes closed. Level Two notches that up a bit, but not excessively so.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
That sounds about right. The Sabre was designed to be smooth and easy to use with efficiency secondary or tertiary. It was originally intended to be the kind of razor that anyone could pick up and get a decent shave with their eyes closed. Level Two notches that up a bit, but not excessively so.

Very accurate description. :)

I've been shaving with my Vector since May 31. Now you guys got me wanting to break out the Sabre! I love how close the Vector gets me, and such a long lasting shave. It shaves so close, that if I am not careful, skin bumps get nicked! I may switch over to the Sabre soon, because memory has that it is a very fine razor for me.

Top Bottom