What's new

Synthetic Summer

Some experimentation today:

Simpson Trafalgar T3
MWF (3rd and farewell shave: we are parting ways, afterall)
Razors:
Left side of my face: Gillette Brazilian Goodwill
Right side: EJ DE89
BIC Chrome Platinum: a new blade for each razor

The variety of brushes, razors and soaps and the quality of photos posted here had a humbling effect on me, so I decided to do something different. Since hardware and software availability is limited, I thought I would go for the face off between the 2 razors.

CDE97923-5097-4505-83CC-BC5574774938.jpeg

The T3 is definitely BIG. I'll stick to it tomorrow, but I'm probably leaning towards the T2.

I know “The Fat” would make almost every member’s top list, but it’s not for me. I get... soap. So enough of the Sacrificial Lamb: it was(n’t) good while it lasted.

Razors. We are interesting animals. And our minds and memory can be deceiving.

I’m a CCS person. I shave every day and have pretty regular stuble.

The Goodwill feels smoother on the skin during the shave. Maybe because it holds the blade more rigidly than the DE89 (?). A knowledgeable member, whose opinion I respect and with whom I talked about this, thinks that's a possible explanation.

However, the final result is remarkably similar.

I love the way the Goodwill looks and feels and will keep using it as my daily driver. However, the (objective) truth is that I could live with the DE89 and be happy with it.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Wed, June 16th 2021

Razor: Razorock 2nd Gen Stainless steel Lupo.72-Mfg 2021, excellent mid range, easy to manipulate the face, excellent quality & design, a joy to use IMO.
Blade: Gillette Wilkinson sword saloon (3) sharp & smooth with reasonable longevity. Good bang for the $.
Soap: Razorock Irish country side, mild scent with excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi Rainbow 26 mm brown whiskers, excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, great scrub + great lather painter.
Great value and a joy to use, always liked rainbows.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of Clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock XXX with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS, BBs + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: excellent shave with my RR Lupo .72 with a Wilkinson sword blade.

DE SOTD, WED, June 16th 2021.jpg
Yaqi #1 Rainbow brown whiskers 26mm brush (5).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Fatip OC Slant + bull mastiff handle
Personna Med Prep (1)
Yaqi Sagrada Familia synth brush
PAA Ice Cube 2 pre-shave soap as stick
Pre de Provence soap
Dickinson's witch hazel with Pereja Limon Kolonya
Pre de Provence balm

The colors of the Sagrada Familia handle are based on some of the stained glass in the Basilica in Barcelona. Pretty, especially in sunlight.

sf-1.jpeg
sagrada-f1.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Thur, June 17th 2021

Razor: Razorock German 37 slant- Mfg 2016>, Excellent mid range, first razor to get a true BBS with, some blade tab overhang, 2 pass with some pickups is all I need because of efficentcy of this slant. Good inexpensive razor head to have in the shave den.
Blade: Gillette Wilkinson sword saloon, excellent blade, Sharp & smooth with reasonable longevity, Good value for your hard earned $ IMO.
Soap: Razorock Irish Countryside, light scented with excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi Dandelion Cashmere 24mm knot, Excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips, gentle scrub + great lather painter. Very nice deep green handle, handle has a very nice feel in the hand.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Fine fresh Vetiver with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: Excellent shave with my RR German 37 slant + a Gillette Wilkinson coated blade.

DE SOTD, Thur, June 17th 2021.jpg
Yaqi # 1 Dandelion 24mm cashmer knot (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Gillette Super Speed, Arko, and a Simpson Duke 3 synthetic are a perfect combo. Finished up with Aqua Velva. Simple, classic shave. I get more enjoyment out of the Duke 3 synth than I do from either of the Chubby 2 synths that I own. I like the Chubbys, but the Duke is a nearly perfect small synthetic brush.

Top Bottom