Gillette Platinum (2)
My grubby, undeserving paws
Damp washcloth aka “shave binky”
Pre-shave: Noxzema face wash. Hot shower
Lather: Irish Spring
Post-shave face wash with shave binky
Post-shave: Alum block
Post-shave: Ulm Nom

Hand-lathered my face with a sliver of Irish Spring like I sometimes do on the nape of the neck. Water was added as needed and soap added when skin felt skippy. Up until I put weepers on my Adam’s apple during cleanup, everything was all slick and quick. Alum only stung around there.

Everything more comfortable than expected even with the boo-boo taken into account.

Happy shaves, everyone!

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Tonight’s shave
Ikon X3 on Gentleman Jon’s handle
Gillette Platinum (3)
Maggards 30mm synthetic brush
Lather: ARKO!
Post-shave: Ulm Nom

Used the brush to get ARKO! from my coffee cup to my whiskers and hand-lathered with extra water before the first pass. WTG and skipping due to insufficient soap and water. ¡Yo quiero shallow WTG!

More soap applied the same way (though more soap) for an XTG pass and that stopped the skipping for the most part. Walrus whiskers trimmed as though they were normies.

Brush applied lather for third pass. ATG. No negative incidents.

Very light alum sting, mostly near Adam’s apple. No aftershave burn. Plenty after freeze.

Quicker than most of single ATG pass shaves… :letterk1:

Happy shaves, everyone!

thombrogan

Last night’s shave
Gillette Platinum (4)
Ω 10048 boar brush
Post-shave: Equate Burn Gel

Did more of the same with a different brush. The first lather went on comfortably with no scratchy feeling from the bristles. Instead of building the lather on my face, I wet my hands and worked the soap into my whiskers. Too much water, so it was repeated.

WTG with a little cleanup near my jawline. After the small amount of cleanup, it was good enough, but I persisted.

Lathered hand with brush and applied to face and added water and then more lather. XTG went fine. Such a dreaded pass with my SE razors and Fatip used steep was only slightly dreaded on lips, chin, and throat.

Couldn’t get enough lather in my hand for third pass, so I reloaded brush and face lathered again. Brush felt rougher this time around, but not too bad. Should’ve rested it in the coffee cup of hot water between passes…

ATG pass was fine, but then I did cleanup under the jawline and base of throat and went steep which just feels rough with this razor.

No weepers and only a little irritation on the neck.

Some plain aloe gel arrived for pre-shave purposes so that and the last Gillette Platinum in the tuck await the next shave.

Happy shaves, everyone!

thombrogan

Last night’s shave
Gillette Platinum (1)
Ω 10048 boar brush
Pre-shave: Hot shower. Aloe 100% gel

I’d better check the lost-and-found basket for my ATG pass because it wasn’t in my shave.

Put aloe on whiskers and built lather in hand with boar brush.

Did a WTG pass with some cleanup under the jawline.

Built another lather in my hand. Could’ve used the brush on my face on pass one, but it stopped being soft a few minutes later.

Did an XTG pass with some cleanup under the jawline.

Washed off the soap and applied the alum. It didn’t sting. After about a minute, some heat built 7nder the jawline, but never reached a tingle level. Washed that off eventually and applied the burn gel.

Both closer and more comfortable than previous attempts. Not anywhere BBS, but I’m happy with this . Focused on “removing the lather” on both main pass and “cleanup.”

Happy shaves, everyone!

thombrogan

Last night’s shave
Gillette Platinum (2)
Ω 10048 boar brush
Pre-shave: Hot shower. Aloe 100% gel
Lather: bloomed ARKO!
Post-shave: Isopropyl

First, I want to speak about my new pre-shave product: Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera 100% gel. It’s not 100% aloe vera gel, but it’s 100% gel that contains aloe vera… Don’t know if it’s improving anything, but it’s not interfering so I hope to eventually find out.

One of these days, I’ll get a noticeable improvement in comfort and closeness from skin stretching, but it wasn’t last night.

Pass one, WTG with skin stretching and cleanup. Sooo much left behind compared to the night before. Patted face clean with a damp binky and it felt like I hadn’t shaved the middle of my throat at all with a rectangle of whiskers left just under the chin.

Relathered. Lather I make with boar bristles is inferior to what I can do with a synthetic. With added water, I made an airy, foamy, pasty mistake that felt wet.

Pass two, XTG over bad lather. Wasn’t too close, but I did get a small, almost instantly closing red dot on the left side of my neck. And neck and under jawline was a mass of unevenly trimmed whiskers.

Pass three, ATG for neck to chin. Not good, but better than some other ones in the past and worse than some others, too. Weeper on right side of neck. Alum contented itself with stinging below the and the isopropyl propyled in serene isolation.

The ARKO! stick pressed flat into the bottom of a coffee cup was fun as an act of will, but it has its downsides, too. It’s not a stick anymore. It’s larger surface area that diffuses lots more ARKO! into the air than the exposed end of a shave stick and I’m ever so slowly realizing there could be too much of a good thing. The next stick will stay in its wrapper or a container with a lid.

Happy shaves, everyone!

thombrogan

Last night’s shave
Gillette Platinum (3)
Ω 10048 boar brush
Pre-shave: Hot shower
Lather: Stirling Naked and Smooth
Post-shave lather: Stirling Naked and Smooth
Post-shave: Isopropyl

After complaining about the room-fogger effect of my coffee cup of ARKO!, a skunk’s scent was very present in our neighborhood. If someone was pulverizing a skunk cadaver with a sledgehammer, the scent wouldn’t have been more palpable. A few walks by the soap were needed.

Revisited the Stirling Naked and Smooth last night. Also refilled my boar’s soaking cup with hot water between passes and face-lathered for all three. Stirling soaps enjoy a lot of water. My Ω 10048 enjoys providing that water.

WTG plus cleanup, the first pass was dedicated to removing lather and any whiskers that followed in its wake.

XTG plus cleanup, the second pass did see a red dot on the side of my chin, but it disappeared before the pass was finished.

ATG closed out the platinum lather removal service. Even while laying in wait in a fresh cup of hot water, the bristles were rougher feeling on this pass.

With its unsaponified shea butter and lanolin, I treated myself to the rest of the lather as a post-shave treat while I cleaned off my razor. Felt awesome.

Washed face and applied alum. A little sting on my chin and lower right side of neck, but just heat or nothing everywhere else. Definitely better result than immediately previous bout.

Happy shaves, everyone!

thombrogan

Last night’s shave
GEM Micromatic Open Comb
Personna PTFE GEM (1)
Ω 10048 boar brush
Lather: Stirling Naked and Smooth

Probably my best Stirling lather and best MMOC shave so far. ATG and cleanup for a very close and mostly comfortable shave with only a few closed-during-shave red dots and a little alum sting below the jawline to not make it sinfully perfect.

Happy shaves, everyone!

thombrogan

Last night’s shave
GEM Micromatic Open Comb
Personna PTFE GEM (2)
Ω 10048 boar brush
Lather: Mostly Stirling Unscented with Beeswax
Post-shave: Aloe 100% gel

I was trying to win a “lightest touch award” up until I ended on my upper lip. A trying week and my mind was done. Also, in the hours leading up to the shave, I couldn’t find my Bride’s skull shot glass so I had the last drink of my Glen Fiddich 18 in a Batman shot glass.

The boar brush seemed to join the synthetic in skipping the sliver of Mama Bear Polar on top of the soap dish to nab the Stirling. And the Unscented with Beeswax is nice, but easily outdone by ARKO! and seems completely different from Stirling Naked and Smooth.

The alum said it was a mostly okay shave and the unmentholated mostly aloe gel said maybe it wasn’t so okay or maybe I can’t leave that particular product on my skin. Probably the shave. Also, palm-stropping a PTFE GEM blade gives an ethereal first shave and, well, that first shave was so nice.

Happy shaves, everyone!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
It took a pioneer spirit to kick back and enjoy my spirits.

deadwood (2).jpg

Top Bottom