What's new

Which shaving cream is best?

Hi everybody,
I am a person with a very fast growing beard. Since I shave often, I am always looking for a shaving cream that can help restore my skin. However, I still can't find it, so I want to ask everyone to help me with the best shaving cream today.
Thank you very much.

Hi everybody,
I am a person with a very fast growing beard. Since I shave often, I am always looking for a shaving cream that can help restore my skin. However, I still can't find it, so I want to ask everyone to help me with the best shaving cream today.
Thank you very much.
La Toja is great. I use it pretty often. Can't go wrong with Proraso Creams as well. But one of my absolute favourites is The Body Shop Aloe and Maca Root cream. It's very affordable and you get 200ml which is awesome. The lather is thick and dense, it is slick and the post shave feel is really nice.
proxy.php

Sent from my CPH1969 using Tapatalk

The following soap bases are highly regarded as great performers (better than just about any cream out there) and they are all excellently suited to moisturize during the shave and take good care of your skin.

Barrister and Mann excelsior

Declaration grooming Milksteak

Zingari Man

And there are others

(Sent from mobile)

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Was very impressed with a recent purchase of Alexander Simpson shave cream...I purchased their Bay Rum scent. Also Musgo Real is pretty good stuff.

Hi everybody,
Thank you very much.
Hi @DarrylMathis & welcome to B&B 🙋

Not sure what exactly you mean by "restoring skin", but if you're talking about irritation, swollenness, red bumps, weepers, etc... while good cream will help, your TECHNIQUE will be much more important.

TBH, I would have to think real hard to name one shaving cream that is really bad. This is to say - you can't really go wrong with creams in terms of performance. Get whatever you like scent wise and focus on developing your technique. More often than not, this will mean LESS pressure, gentler strokes and gradual hair reduction. Eventually it'll all just "click" and before you know it, you'll be enjoying your wet-shaves.

BTW, there is no such a thing as "the best shaving cream" or soap or car or shoes... it's YMMV 😉

Welcome aboard!

I am a soap guy so, definitely, take this with a grain or three of salt!

First, I doubt there is a ‘best’ of anything. What works for me may be ‘meh’ for you.

That said, I suggest you consider Speick, Tabac and Cella (the croap). :a21: :a21:

JCarr

Coming from you @JCarr it must be darn good! 😀

I read several reviews of Simpson Bay Rum cream, including this one: Simpson Shaving Soap Bay Rum - Rasoigoodfellas

Many claim this is not a Bay Rum scent at all. Go figure...

So, how would you describe the scent?

I've sniffed my share of Bay Rum soaps/creams/aftershaves...Alexander Simpson's take is definitely unique. I wouldn't put it in the category of being a true Bay Rum scent, like say Captain's Choice or Barberry Coast, but it's obvious to me that they did attempt to capture the mild spiciness that many Bay Rums have. They list the scent profile as a "spicy scent with a background bouquet of Bergamot, Orange, Nutmeg and Vetyver." Those notes aren't completely alien to Bay Rum with the exception of vetyver, but it is a pleasing scent to my nose, slightly sweet with a mild spice and mild citrus. The earthy Pimento Racemosa that would grab you in a no-nonsense Bay Rum is absent, but what they created is still nice and a decent attempt to create a Bay Rum-ish scent that's not completely alien to fans of Bay Rum. One other note...the scent lingered after the shave was over and I left the bathroom which, to my experience, with most soaps/creams is a rarity.

I found the performance of the cream to be very good, lathered quickly and easily and provided the necessary protection and glide.

I've sniffed my share of Bay Rum soaps/creams/aftershaves...Alexander Simpson's take is definitely unique. I wouldn't put it in the category of being a true Bay Rum scent, like say Captain's Choice or Barberry Coast, but it's obvious to me that they did attempt to capture the mild spiciness that many Bay Rums have. They list the scent profile as a "spicy scent with a background bouquet of Bergamot, Orange, Nutmeg and Vetyver." Those notes aren't completely alien to Bay Rum with the exception of vetyver, but it is a pleasing scent to my nose, slightly sweet with a mild spice and mild citrus. The earthy Pimento Racemosa that would grab you in a no-nonsense Bay Rum is absent, but what they created is still nice and a decent attempt to create a Bay Rum-ish scent that's not completely alien to fans of Bay Rum. One other note...the scent lingered after the shave was over and I left the bathroom which, to my experience, with most soaps/creams is a rarity.

I found the performance of the cream to be very good, lathered quickly and easily and provided the necessary protection and glide.
WOW, thanks for the comprehensive review! Much appreciated 😀

I think I might give this a shot at some point and combine it with TOBS Bay Rum. To my understanding TOBS Bay Rum has Piemnto Racemosa essential oil as a sole fragrance ingredient. I guess it doesn't get more Bay Rum-is than that.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Best for me? Best for you? It's a hard question because I don't shave your face. But for me the best was always Castle Forbes. It seems very expensive at purchase, but uses considerably less product than most. Ultimate Comfort is also very nice.

Tough question since there's so many good creams and soaps but when talking specifically creams here's some I really enjoy

Tobs jermyn street
Fine accoutrements platinum & american blend
Castle forbes lavender
St james of london sandalwood
AOS lavender and sandalwood
Speick active
Proraso white

JCarr

I think I might give this a shot at some point and combine it with TOBS Bay Rum. To my understanding TOBS Bay Rum has Piemnto Racemosa essential oil as a sole fragrance ingredient. I guess it doesn't get more Bay Rum-is than that.

Yeah, TOBS Bay Rum aftershave is also one of those pure Bay Rum scents.

If you have your technique down all creams,even plain canned foam, are about the same.

That's my conclusion after 40+ years of daily DE shaving.I can shave with any lubrication mean out there with the same BBS result after performing my daily 4 pass ,5 minute routine.

If you are referring to post shave problems and irritation due to the rare occasion that you might be allergic to the ingredients or to problematic skin I suggest you consult a good dermatologist.

Of course like blade selection what cream is "best" for you is absolutely YMMV and totally dependent on YOUR skin and stubble type.

JCarr

Combine it? Drop some TOBS aftershave into the Alexander Simpson shave cream? If so, one other thing I can offer...that shave cream is so soft! I can shake the plastic container and it moves around some. Definitely not a firm cream. So mixing it in won't be difficult.

Fitjar Islands!

Never used their stuff, but I'm a sucker for all things Nordic.

Don't know if it's the best cream, but the scent descriptions definitely are!

Really expensive, though...

Slåtterøy - A Nordic take on a traditional bay rum fragrance. Exotic woody spices with bright notes of spicy citrus. Slåtterøy awakens memories of the times when seafarers came home from abroad with mysterious gifts.

Havn - A woody herbal blend of cedar and blooming heather that is mild and unobtrusive. Havn evokes the fleeting scent of aged driftwood washed ashore on a peaceful morning.

Folgefonn - Norwegian glacier essence. A blend of crushed menthol and fresh eucalyptus, sweetened with spruce needles. Like the fresh breeze off the glacier cooling your face.

I'm a firm believer that there are more things to "being the best", than are dreamt of by our objective evaluations.

Combine it? Drop some TOBS aftershave into the Alexander Simpson shave cream? If so, one other thing I can offer...that shave cream is so soft! I can shake the plastic container and it moves around some. Definitely not a firm cream. So mixing it in won't be difficult.
OH NO! NO NO NO!!!!

I'd never put an aftershave into a cream, NO way!

😱

Let me reiterate: shave with the cream, apply TOBS Bay Rum aftershave, as an - aftershave.

Top Bottom