What's new

What's your favourite blade to use in your DE89?

I used a DE89 for 10 years and mostly used Feather blades. But it's a very generic razor and different blades show their own character in it. Other razors can be more quirky about blades. My favorite DE89 blade may have been the now almost unobtainable Polsliver, mild and long-lasting. The GSB is excellent, too.

What he said. I've more or less switched to GSB as a Polsilver replacement.

I have an R89. For me these all tend to work very well (smooth, reliable, effective):

Gillette Nacet
Polsilver
Personna Israeli Red
Wilkinson Sword
Voshkod

DE89 works well with all blades I have tried. My favourite is Astra SP followed closely by Gillette 7'Oclock Super Stainless (Russian greens).

Lately I've been testing Gillette Nacet's, GSB's & SharpEdge Yellow's on my Muhle R89. after 3 shaves in the SharpEdge Yellow's seem to work best follow by the GSB's. But YMMV.

What's your favourite blade to use your your DE89?
I recently bought a Muhle r89 (same head), and got a sampler pack of the following, which I've listed in descending order of preference:

1. Feather
2. Astra SS
3. Gillette Nacet
4. Muhle (included with the razor)
5. Astra SP
6. Personna red
7. Shark SS

The Feather was a clear winner - I found the combination of a very sharp blade with the mildness of the r89 gave a shave that was both gentle and very efficient. The Astra SS deserve an honourable mention, though, and being considerably cheaper than feathers deserve the consideration of the more economically-minded shaver. The Nacets were also very good, but tarnished, which while hardly a deal-breaker did put me off a bit, and that's why I put them behind the Astras - I couldn't fault the shave.

Of the lower-end bladed the Shark was a clear loser - honestly just nasty. The rest I would describe as different variants of so-so.

Top Bottom