What's new

Rusty Blade’s Wet Shaving Journey

Here is my shave kit for the coming week starting tomorrow (Sunday May 2) A great unscented lineup. In simplicity there is beauty. :pipe:
Razor: Schick Type G
Brush: EJ Synth
Soap: B&M Soft heart Series Unscented
ASB: B&M Unscented

sws may 1.jpg

Was sorting through my collection this morning and came across a cigar box full of double and single edge blade that I picked up before the pandemic came along and messed up our lives. Here are four...there are many more. Will post in coming days. I am noticing it is much harder to find vintage blades in the wild. I still look for SR, DE and DE razors, but if I already have one or two I leave them behind for the next collector. I am finding it much more challenging to hunt for vintage blades. :pipe:
20210506_090856_resized.jpg

When I first started straight razor shaving I decided to learn to hone my own razors. I purchased one new SR with a professionally honed edge and learned to shave with that razor...and I learned the feel and look of a good edge. Then I purchased a set of Naniwa stones and a board strop and learned quickly. It really wasn't that difficult. I had been collecting antique store SRs and had a couple of beaters to practice my technique.

I have been restoring some antique store razors and I found my board strop. I used it for several years and then switched to a hanging strop. Recently I have been restoring some antique store SRs that I accumulated and I rediscovered my board strop. What a pleasure to use! I realize in many ways I prefer a board strop to a hanging strop. The flat board surface forces you to keep the blade perfectly level and to go slow. Not that I am reckless with a hanging strop. The board strop encourages a more deliberate stopping motion. Generally it is felt that board strops are good for beginners and then you progress to a hanging strop. And truth is even for the more experienced, a board strop is just fine. :pipe:

My shave kit for the next few weeks will feature a different straight razor for each day. Time to put the EJ 3one6 and Schick Type G on leave for a well deserved break. I've been a busy bee lately restoring and honing some antique store razors (a few of my newer regulars will be in the line up as well) and I think its high time that I put them through their paces. They are all lined up and waiting on the bench for their turn on the field. Soap and ASB and brushes will be much the same for the week as is my practice in the Shave of the Week Society. This week my soap/ASB/brush set up will be:

Soap: B&M Soft Heart Unscented
Brush: EJ synth
ASB: B&M unscented
Moustache Wax: Lucky Tiger
SWS May 22.jpg

This is a SR lineup I used a few weeks back...a nice way to start. Next week and following weeks will feature new (old) razors). My straight razors for this week are as follows:
Top row: Carbo Magnetic ; Boker Micarta scales
Middle Row: Ralph Aust Fendrihan; Boker (one of many I own)
Bottom Row: Wacker (my favourite new razor); Genco
Yes, I know, there are only six razors...I may slip in a DE or SE shave for old times sake. :pipe:

SWS May 10.jpg

Recently I posted a question -- a hypothetical question -- about long term storage of SRs, worries about cell rot, how to protect SRs, and if Ren Wax would aid in serving this purpose. Generally, I am very careful to segregate any scales that look suspicious, and if I think they have cell rot I bin the scales and save the blade. I do have some very old SRs in storage and I have often wondered what would happen if one developed cell rot without me knowing. I know it would ruin that blade and likely others around it. Hence my question if Ren Wax would offer any protection. Maybe I just need to check them more often.
I haven't found suitable storage for my collection. I worry about humidity so I store them in tote boxes with dehumidifier packs. And then I worry about cell rot.

I have received a number of responses to my query and there seems to be no magic answer. One recent response by @Legion in my opinion makes the most common sense. He stated, "While cell rot could technically start at any time, I have never had it happen on my watch. Any razor with celluloid scales has been living with them for at least sixty years or so, in who knows what questionable conditions. Chances are, if the scales were going to go wrong, it would have started before you got the razor.
Store cool, dry, dark, and check periodically. Then try not to stress about it."

Well, I don't know about the "don't stress part", its part of my nature to worry about things I can't control, but I do believe he is right on a couple of points -- most of my old razors are well over 75 years old and some are over 100 years old. If the scales were going to rot I think they would have done so before now. I do keep them cool, dry, in a dark place and I do check them periodically. Though on that last point I think maybe I need to step up my spot checks. And maybe separate them into a few tote boxes and not keep them all together in one place. Most of my razors have gone without Ren wax for 75-100 years and survived just fine. I don't think it will make a big difference...though it makes me feel better. I have been thinking lately that I should cull my collection and keep maybe 50 and let the rest go so some other guys can enjoy and appreciate them as much as I have. Spread the joy around. That's my thoughts for today. :pipe:

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I have received a number of responses to my query and there seems to be no magic answer. One recent response by @Legion in my opinion makes the most common sense. He stated, "While cell rot could technically start at any time, I have never had it happen on my watch. Any razor with celluloid scales has been living with them for at least sixty years or so, in who knows what questionable conditions. Chances are, if the scales were going to go wrong, it would have started before you got the razor.
Store cool, dry, dark, and check periodically. Then try not to stress about it."
I tend to agree with @Legion in his response about cell rot. As a machinist I have opinions about how carbon steel reacts with age. I have my Grandfather's SR that is well over 100 years old and was only stored in the cardboard box it came in when new. I also have many of his cutting and inspection tools from that era, that were always stored in a wooden box. There is something about wooden boxes that acts to help prevent iron inside from rusting, whether it just keeps the moisture away or is magic I don't know.
I have never used Ren wax, but in the machinist trade we use a lubricant and rust preventative oil called Vactra 2, made by Mobil in almost all of our machinery. I have seen it literally pull rust off the surface of steel when allowed to soak, and I have never seen a way/bearing surface that had Vactra on it rust.

My two cents.

Doug

I tend to agree with @Legion in his response about cell rot. As a machinist I have opinions about how carbon steel reacts with age. I have my Grandfather's SR that is well over 100 years old and was only stored in the cardboard box it came in when new. I also have many of his cutting and inspection tools from that era, that were always stored in a wooden box. There is something about wooden boxes that acts to help prevent iron inside from rusting, whether it just keeps the moisture away or is magic I don't know.
I have never used Ren wax, but in the machinist trade we use a lubricant and rust preventative oil called Vactra 2, made by Mobil in almost all of our machinery. I have seen it literally pull rust off the surface of steel when allowed to soak, and I have never seen a way/bearing surface that had Vactra on it rust.

My two cents.

Doug
Interesting observations. I have some SRs that I found in their original cardboard coffins dated late 1800s...and the metal (and scales) showed little sign of aging. I am thinking the cardboard they made their coffins from must have been made with acid free papers? Not sure. As for wood having some protective quality I wonder if the wood prevents rust because it is non-acidic? Or maybe it absorbs moisture? Or maybe like you say...its magic. Question for you...how do you store your straight razors? Do you coat them with anything if you store them longer term?

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Question for you...how do you store your straight razors? Do you coat them with anything if you store them longer term?
An company that manufactures high end inspection tools for the machine shop industry, has been shipping their Sunnen Hone gauges with a tube labeled "anti-rust" for over half a century. It is Vick's Vapor Rub. That is what I use. Just enough on the tip of my finger to smear the blade.

Legion

Staff member
Interesting observations. I have some SRs that I found in their original cardboard coffins dated late 1800s...and the metal (and scales) showed little sign of aging. I am thinking the cardboard they made their coffins from must have been made with acid free papers? Not sure. As for wood having some protective quality I wonder if the wood prevents rust because it is non-acidic? Or maybe it absorbs moisture? Or maybe like you say...its magic. Question for you...how do you store your straight razors? Do you coat them with anything if you store them longer term?
The cardboard they used for boxes was certainly not acid free. Back in the day they makers of boxes new little of such things and cared even less. Do you really think the box maker, who was a different guy to the razor maker, was thinking “hmmm, we better keep this thing PH neutral, just in case some joker a hundred years from now wants to display it in a case in his shave den”?

He was thinking “If I employ younger children I can probably make an extra seven cents per dozen”.

The reason why coffins and wooden boxes help a little is only because they create a microclimate, and reduce temperature and humidity variations, to a small degree. They also keep the razor in the dark, so UV doesn’t effect the scales.

The cardboard they used for boxes was certainly not acid free. Back in the day they makers of boxes new little of such things and cared even less. Do you really think the box maker, who was a different guy to the razor maker, was thinking “hmmm, we better keep this thing PH neutral, just in case some joker a hundred years from now wants to display it in a case in his shave den”?

He was thinking “If I employ younger children I can probably make an extra seven cents per dozen”.

The reason why coffins and wooden boxes help a little is only because they create a microclimate, and reduce temperature and humidity variations, to a small degree. They also keep the razor in the dark, so UV doesn’t effect the scales.
Thank you. The way you explain it sounds so simple. Now why didn't I think of that?

An company that manufactures high end inspection tools for the machine shop industry, has been shipping their Sunnen Hone gauges with a tube labeled "anti-rust" for over half a century. It is Vick's Vapor Rub. That is what I use. Just enough on the tip of my finger to smear the blade.
I am guessing Vaseline would do the same.

Legion

Staff member
I am guessing Vaseline would do the same.
Vaseline would be better, since it is just petroleum jelly. Vicks has menthol, and other additives which may or may not be an issue.

If I was storing a SR long term for a museum I might use Ren Wax if it was on display. If it was in a vault I would clean the razor well to remove any oils and acids. It would be kept in a controlled RH, and I would wrap it in acid free tissue paper. That is about the best you could do.

Any oil you put on the blade might adversely effect the scales, depending on the material.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Vaseline would be better, since it is just petroleum jelly. Vicks has menthol, and other additives which may or may not be an issue.

If I was storing a SR long term for a museum I might use Ren Wax if it was on display. If it was in a vault I would clean the razor well to remove any oils and acids. It would be kept in a controlled RH, and I would wrap it in acid free tissue paper. That is about the best you could do.

Any oil you put on the blade might adversely effect the scales, depending on the material.
I often wondered that myself. I'm certainly no expert, but I have used many different oils with machinery over the years. Some protect better than others and some oils do have additives like chlorine and Sulphur that can stain and discolor metals.
This is the "Anti-Rust" compound I referred to, I don't know for sure that it is Vick's, but it sure smells and feels like Vick's. I have never had it stain anything I used it on. (50+years)
20210527_201822[1].jpg

Here is what Wiki says about Menthol:
Menthol is an organic compound made synthetically or obtained from the oils of corn mint, peppermint, or other mints. It is a waxy, crystalline substance, clear or white in color, which is solid at room temperature and melts slightly above.
Menthol reacts in many ways like a normal secondary alcohol. It is oxidised to menthone by oxidising agents such as chromic acid or dichromate,[23] though under some conditions the oxidation can go further and break open the ring. Menthol is easily dehydrated to give mainly 3-menthene, by the action of 2% sulfuric acid. Phosphorus pentachloride (PCl5) gives menthyl chloride.

Ren Wax has a very strong smell. I have to apply it in a well ventilated area, usually outside on a nice day. Vaseline would certainly be an improvement in that regard. Less expensive and more readily available.

I have a jar of Martin de Candre unscented shaving soap that I purchased around 6 years ago. I think in those 6 years I may have used it 5 or 6 times and then set it in the shoebox in my closet and haven't used it since. I keep meaning to get it into my regular rotation, or use it exclusively for a period of time, but for some reason I never seem to get around to dusting it off and cracking the lid. I have a few other soaps that I prefer and use those on a daily basis.

I keep thinking I will use the MdC when I am finished all my other soaps but I never seem to get down to one soap. I hear it has lasting power...some use it for a year or more. Hard as nails. I managed to get down to three soaps recently and then was gifted a tub of Seville and then decided to purchase a few sample soaps from Stirling: Gentleman, Sharp Dressed Man and Barbershop. All wonderful soaps with great scents. So, there you have it...MdC will likely sit in the closet for another 6 years. But if there is ever a shave apocalypse, I know I will always have one soap that will be there for me to the end. :pipe:

I had this Bengall blade kicking around for some time now. It was in need of some new scales (blond horn), some cleaning, polishing and a new edge. I honed it on my Naniwa stones. I am ready to give this puppy a whirl tomorrow morning.
Bengal.jpg

Here is my shave kit for the coming week.
Soap: Stirling Spice
ASB: T&H Classic
Brush: RazoRock Keyhole Synth
Wax: Lucky Tiger
20210605_111713_resized.jpg

For my straight razors for this week I have six in the lineup (sorry I just realized the pic is slightly blurred):
Top row: Friedr.Herder abr. Sohn Solingen / Wheatley Brothers
Middle row: Geo. Wostenholm / Boker (this is a shorty)
Bottom: New England Razor Company / Gebr.Korten & Scherf Obligs Solingen

20210605_111545_resized.jpg

I thought I should copy this into my journal (since this about my shaving journey) -- this was in response to another member's question regarding how long it takes to get proficient with a straight razor. In response I said, "The thing about SR shaving is the learning curve tends to be very short. Either you learn quickly or you get injured and give up trying. Three or four attempts max. Once you learn the basics then building confidence with your SR skills takes time. Being over confident with a SR is generally tempting fate." It is not often that I say something that even remotely making sense, so I thought I should capture it in print.

And the other thing is, I recently came to believe the following statement (though I don't know who said it first) -- "The straight razor is the ultimate adjustable razor".
Gems, both gems. :pipe:

I am getting some of the best shaves of my life recently. My process has not changed dramatically, rather, just minor adjustments that seem to have made a big difference. The majority of my shaves are with a straight razor...a couple of modern SRs, but the most are vintage SRs I picked up for $20 and restored and honed. My process involves the use of a preshave cream -- Proraso white or green preshave cream. I don't find the soap I choose makes much difference, though I have limited my soaps to only the finest -- Stirling, B&M, Proraso. I do a 2 pass shave and I get a very nice shave. I don't bother chasing BBS, but most time thats what it turns out to be. Its just the nature of a SR shave. (If you shave with a SR and are left with stubble, you are doing something wrong). I don't need the second pass, I do it more for fun and the enjoyment of using the SR. I use a light touch, and it seems the lighter the touch, the better the shave. I occasionally run the alum bar over my face and I get no stinging, so I must be doing something right.

I don't like to rush my shaves. The other day we had to go out early and I found myself hurrying through my shave. That by itself annoyed me. I am getting spoiled with my daily leisurely shave. It didn't change the quality of my shave, it just annoyed me that I had to hurry the process. A good SR shave is not meant to be rushed. And those are my observations for today. Carry on. :pipe:

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I don't like to rush my shaves. The other day we had to go out early and I found myself hurrying through my shave. That by itself annoyed me. I am getting spoiled with my daily leisurely shave. It didn't change the quality of my shave, it just annoyed me that I had to hurry the process. A good SR shave is not meant to be rushed.
Yep. :pipe:

Top Bottom