What's new

Vintage Gillette safety razor

Hi all, first time posting.

I recently found a Gillette safety razor in an old grooming kit belonging to my grandad. He died in the 70's and I'm guessing it hasn't been looked at since then.

The condition looked great for it's age but I could tell from the items around it it was well used. I cleaned it up and changed the blade (I usually use a cut throat razor so have plenty). Gave it a go and I was sold instantly.

My question is:
Can anybody give me more information on it? Age, model etc.
Also, are the modern alternatives better or am I best sticking with this one?

Thanks

Attachments

• PXL_20210612_151646568.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20210612_151646568.PORTRAIT.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 99
  • PXL_20210612_151637594.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20210612_151637594.PORTRAIT.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 98
Does it have any code under the head? Usually it is a letter and a number from 1-4.

I have similar ones, they are usually very mild and easy to use. I would say you should stick to it, even if you get a modern one. You don't need to have just one razor. I have a few, they all feel different and that is what I love about them.

If you find a code, I might be able to help you.
Not all Gillette safety razors have a code, hopefully this one does.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Does it have any code under the head? Usually it is a letter and a number from 1-4.

I have similar ones, they are usually very mild and easy to use. I would say you should stick to it, even if you get a modern one. You don't need to have just one razor. I have a few, they all feel different and that is what I love about them.

If you find a code, I might be able to help you.
Not all Gillette safety razors have a code, hopefully this one does.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Unfortunately not, it just has the Gillette logo and "made in England".

It’s a Gillette Tech. The handle looks aluminum. My aluminum handle techs are from the 70s, but you’ll have to look at the date code on yours to zero in on the date. Unsure if the head is original to that handle though, as the logo variant on the top cap might be from an older ball end tech, but I’m not an expert. The aluminum handle techs have date codes, so if yours in fact doesn’t then it is probably a newer handle on an older tech.

Aluminum Handle Techs came out in the mid-60s, like Kyle said head cap looks like it doesn't belong but Gillette has been known to use up older parts with newer models from time to time...

The tech is a great shaver used by hundreds of thousands of men over the years, if not millions.

A more expensive razor won't necessarily shave you better. It just depends on how you like your shaves.

I'd say get to know this wonderful heirloom piece first, and then, if you want, you can ask us what to get next, based on your experience with it.

(Sent from mobile)

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Beautiful razor and a very nice find. As others have mentioned most likely made sometime in the 1960's or 70's. All the more special as it belonged to your grandfather. It's a fantastic shaver, enjoy!

I've been meaning to ask a similar question. I have 3 English techs (2 were included with the purchase of straights, presumably someone clearing out granddad's razors).

One is similar to yours showing Gillette in a diamond with an arrow. The other two have Gillette, no diamond and different fonts. All 3 have aluminium handles and the base plate state made in England. Only one has what I presume to be a date code - 2S. I have vague recollection of reading a post that English techs didn't have date codes until later in their production. Can't find the thread for the life of me though.

The bottom razor has the date code.IMG_20210614_143056.jpg

It seems there are a few different diamond logos on the English techs. Mine above has a complete diamond and appears to be engraved. Some seem to have a broken diamond and seem etched into the cap. Again, apologies for not being able to provide more info.

Congrats, you have found a razor that shaves very nicely. If this is the end of your collection, you will likely find yourself in a contented place.

Hi
It's a 1962 British Tech. From 1963 Gillette kept that same aluminium handle but changed the heads. The new heads had the Gillette logo embossed on the cap without the diamond. This new style remained unchanged until the early 80's.

Top Bottom