What's new

Coffee vs. Tea

M

mtcn77

Never noticed antidementia drugs were so closely related to tea, the only difference being they don't cause palpitations. Tea for sagacity!

I like coffee, but tea I like more. Especially when tea is herbal. Coffee I drink only in the mornings to wake up, but tea I can drink all day. I also try to limit myself in coffee because it has a bad effect on my heart.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
How many of you primary coffee drinkers also drink tea? How many of you primary tea drinkers also drink coffee? I'm a tea-totaler, but drink coffee on rare occasions. For purposes of full disclosure I don't drink anything that's carbonated and don't drink alcohol.
VERY rarely I will have an Early Gray/Grey? cup in the winter. Or "herbals" if that counts...
Mostly coffee, and unleaded if it's really late at night.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I like coffee, but tea I like more. Especially when tea is herbal. Coffee I drink only in the mornings to wake up, but tea I can drink all day. I also try to limit myself in coffee because it has a bad effect on my heart.
And tea has probably better health benefits for the gut. Better stated: is kinder to the gut, per my Doc.

LOL! You'd think I'd listen to him!

Tea only. Coffee makes my stomach turn and makes me feel ill for rest of the day.
Haven't tried it in like 15 years to see if it's still the same, but it still smells awful when other people have it, so I'm fine leaving it alone, hehe.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Ted Lasso is right…

C532A761-7E2E-4DE6-81E4-F6AF3DD82AF6.jpeg

M

mtcn77

Tea only. Coffee makes my stomach turn and makes me feel ill for rest of the day.
Haven't tried it in like 15 years to see if it's still the same, but it still smells awful when other people have it, so I'm fine leaving it alone, hehe.
It is mostly composed of tannins, so naturally it tastes like tree bark.

It is mostly composed of tannins, so naturally it tastes like tree bark.
If that's your only experience, then you've never had good tea. I've had tea that left a sweet aftertaste leaving a trail of honey-like sweetness down my throat. I've also had floral teas. Not to mention smokey teas.

Frankly, there is such a wide variety of teas out there, to say teas taste of tea bark is like saying all meat taste like chicken because it's all made of proteins.

If he's talking about British tea, sure. But tea lovers realize the Brits know nothing about real tea. 😁
Half English on my mother's side, but I've never liked any of the typically British brands of tea, heh. I LIVE for a good Earl Grey, but it's sometimes hard to find an Earl Grey that doesn't taste like that Yorkshire Gold garbage.

M

mtcn77

If that's your only experience, then you've never had good tea. I've had tea that left a sweet aftertaste leaving a trail of honey-like sweetness down my throat. I've also had floral teas. Not to mention smokey teas.

Frankly, there is such a wide variety of teas out there, to say teas taste of tea bark is like saying all meat taste like chicken because it's all made of proteins.
I'm sorry if I didn't make my remark perfectly clear, just to throw a jab to tease coffee people. It is about 'coffee'. Tea doesn't have tannins, it has phytates.

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
I read about cortisol levels in the morning being highest especially at sleep's end. Does it make sense to drink caffeinated drinks when cortisol levels drop?

M

mtcn77

I read about cortisol levels in the morning being highest especially at sleep's end. Does it make sense to drink caffeinated drinks when cortisol levels drop?
Tea and coffee affect acetylcholine levels; although cortisol 'similarly' also drops in the evening, too. It pertains a rather curious coincidence with daily body adenosine levels which I am not informed if there is a direct correlation.

Adenosine's receptor maxes out working in the morning while its transporter maxes out at noon. I couldn't find rather clear descriptions to detail our tea and coffee drinking habits - but it still changes like cortisol during the day - so drinking tea and coffee can help maintain a base level of mental clarity to balance out our day/night shifts of brain activity. Normally we 'would' get to sleep by then due to our circadian clock, so postponing our sleeping time is one way to make these drinks suit our daily lives.

I still cannot pinpoint the exact studies that looked to this coincidence, but I think what you say is empirically correct; although I would warn against their late effects: just because they won't give you the overdrinking signs sooner shouldn't mean you won't crash later, which it does to me. Don't fall into the trap of overdrinking, not noticing the effects in the mean time. Slower activity also means slower clearing from the body. (Drug addicts, especially alcohol, also demonstrate this compound reinforcement until they develop addiction, they do it in the false sense of control.)

I never drink them in the morning anyway. At daytime, it does more harm than good for me(It rather clouds my mind rather than helps clearing it).

Last edited by a moderator:
Half English on my mother's side, but I've never liked any of the typically British brands of tea, heh. I LIVE for a good Earl Grey, but it's sometimes hard to find an Earl Grey that doesn't taste like that Yorkshire Gold garbage.
LOL! I was just teasing. While I prefer Chinese teas, I've had some English teas in the (now distant) past. I can't recall what they were offhand, but they were okay. 🙂

Top Bottom