What's new

boar hair brush?

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
I am going to use a boar in my rotation after decades of using only mainly badger and some synthetic which I have recently purchased. The advice I had a long time ago was just to use a boar brush as you would any other type of brush. I will break it in for a week before using the brush for a shave. I will use soap and hair conditioner and leave it lathered for 12 hours, clean it out the repeat this process every day. After seven days leave it to totally dry out for two days then using in my regular rotation.

i have read other way including leaving a boar brush in the fridge. I haven’t tried any of the other options. My recollection is boar can smell a bit funky at first so maybe using hair conditioner is a way of getting rid of the smell.

I am going to use a boar in my rotation after decades of using only mainly badger and some synthetic which I have recently purchased. The advice I had a long time ago was just to use a boar brush as you would any other type of brush. I will break it in for a week before using the brush for a shave. I will use soap and hair conditioner and leave it lathered for 12 hours, clean it out the repeat this process every day. After seven days leave it to totally dry out for two days then using in my regular rotation.

i have read other way including leaving a boar brush in the fridge. I haven’t tried any of the other options. My recollection is boar can smell a bit funky at first so maybe using hair conditioner is a way of getting rid of the smell.
If you allow the brush to dry thoroughly after each lather cycle, this will encourage the tips to split. Unlike your hair, you want split ends.
:D

Hair conditioner is better avoided because most of the time it coats the hair with a film. Some conditioners contain silicones or oils, neither is good for your brush.. Just lather your brush up using your least expensive shaving soap and let it dry thoroughly. Repeat several times. Then, start using the brush as normal.

I've probably broken-in over ten boar brushes, BTW.

1. Find a cup/mug that won't tip over easily.
2. Put the boar brush in the cup, bristles down
3. Fill the cup with cold water up until 75% of the bristles are submerged
4. Put the cup/water/brush in the fridge for 3 days
5. After three days, take the brush out of the water and let it dry completely.
6. Use the brush, it's fully broken in.

I have done this a half a dozen times with Omega boar brushes (mine and others gifted) and it works every time.

I got 2 boars, Willkem: when broken in, become very floppy...
Ibero; is not yet broken in, but knot feels much harder, seems it does have more backbone. (size of this 2 brushes are same. 20mm (hard to measure) and loft 50mm

Question is, is there any small/medium size boars with more backbone than this 2?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Boar is my go to brush. I very seldom use badger anymore. Omega brushes are awesome, I've never had a problem with them regardless of price tier.
I never did anything special to break in the brushes I use.
They performed fine right out of the box, though they do get better the more you use them.
I face lather and quite enjoy the scritchy defoliation.
Our fathers and grandfather's didn't spend hours or days breaking in a new brush, they just used it. It worked from the start, and got better till it wore out.

Boars are my main brushes. The reason I use synthetic or badger ones is only because I feel like I need to use them.

If I ever find a synthetic that has the scrub of a boar one, then the music is changed for me. Yet to be found such a brush.

Reactions: GNR
My boar brush does have hairs splitted from 1 upp to 6! Thats ridiculous how soft becomes when there is 6splits, soft even when not wet. Someone seen more splitted ones?

Top Bottom