What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
MdC fougere face lathered with BK4,
3 passes with GSB (11) in ATT CM1, and

Your are all quite charitable, allowing me to post day after day when all that changed were the brush, rotating between two, and the number of days on the blade. I wonder how many such minimalists post here. The real fun, of course, is in seeing what others use.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE SOTD, Wed, May19th 2021

Razor: Yaqi Excalibur 50mm- nice lower midrange, easy to maneuver around the face, like the feel of the razor & light weight. Great daily driver for some folks. Blade is starting to drop off a little.
Blade: Feather pro AC 50mm(5)- excellent blade, Sharp & smooth, longevity?
Soap: Razorock XXX- nice clean scent with excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi Rainbow 26mm brown whiskers- excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, nice scrubber+ great lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG+ ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock XXX with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: 9/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: excellent shave with my Yaqi Excalibur with a Feather pro blade, still hitting the sweet spot.(blade starting to drop off a little)

SE SOTD, Wed, May19th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Rating: 9/10
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - Pinaud Clubman Classic Barber Shave Cream (Brushless - applied by hand.)
Soap: Tabac shave cream (tube)
Brush: APShave Co. Emerald synthetic
Razor: RazoRock Lupo SS SB .72
Blade: Derby Premium (3)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Bay Rum-scented Witch Hazel - Lucky Tiger aftershave tonic
AS: Bootlegger's Bay Rum splash

Very nice shave. A couple of small, minor weepers on my lower neck...it's time to swap out the Derby for a fresh blade. I received this Tabac cream about two days ago and was anxious to give it a try as I'd read so many good things about it on the forums. The smell is acceptable...floral, mild cinnamon, potpouerri...it's fine. The lather was sufficient for the small amount of product I used. I will say that the lather whipped up easily into a nice creamy, slick consistency. It provided ample protection. So...Tabac...would I get it again? Probably not. In my opinion, it's one of those soaps that's got a very good price point and does an above average job, but comes with a price of it's own, an unusual scent profile. Even as I sit and type this out, I can smell it...and the jury is still out on it. It may grow on me yet...who could say? I decided to pair it with Bootlegger's Bay Rum, an aftershave I rather enjoy using very much. If you're a fan of Tabac...God Bless You. It's a fine product at a good price point. Took a point off for the weepers. Next up La Toja!

Happy Shaves, Everyone.

View attachment 1268902
I'm a fan of Tabac.
Thanks for the great post and the blessing [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Today’s goal: supreme comfort
Razor: Blackland Razors Sabre L2
Blade: GEM PTFE
Brush: Omega 20102 Boar Brush
Soap: RazoRock Green Label
Lather: Face
Aftershave: Stirling Barbershop

The Shave: This could be my last post. The BBS crowd may burn me at the stake because I float and only used WTG passes today.
“WTG Only” & “flexible 3 pass” folks are my only hope, LOL.
Three WTG passes for an amazingly comfortable shave. Being honest, it will be the closest/best shave I see today in professional and social circles. I just wanted to change it up and go easy, but I enjoyed the soap and brush, so I wanted to do three passes. Shave rating: Closeness 8/10, Comfort 10/10. If I stay hidden long enough for the “Smooth Skin Posse” to move on, I’ll post tomorrow’s results.
View attachment 1268975View attachment 1268976View attachment 1268977
I don't normally chase after a BBS. But when I get there I'm really pleased.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Soap: Stirling Coconut Lime
Razor: Gillette NEW LC
Blade: 7 O'clock SS
Brush: Simpson Colonel
Aftershave: Witch Hazel / Lilac Vegetal

Had a bit better of a grasp on this razor today. Only had 1 nick on my chin, and little aftershave burn.

Starting to notice some spots of irritation on my neck coming back that I used to always have. Dedicating myself to straight razors almost exclusively for a few months solved that problem, so not surprised some of those old spots are coming back after using vintage open combs all week. It's all good though. It's my technique to blame.

Compared to the Old Type, I think this razor is a beast, but I can't say I like it better. I do like the perfect blade alignment with the NEW but nowadays I really appreciate the blade feel of the Old Type. The Old Type will certainly warn you if things are going to go sour, but the NEW feels so comfortable that it's easy to get complacent.

I guess tastes change as time goes on.

9/10

Your are all quite charitable, allowing me to post day after day when all that changed were the brush, rotating between two, and the number of days on the blade. I wonder how many such minimalists post here. The real fun, of course, is in seeing what others use.
Tirvine, I fully agree and I am happy for the friendly crowd around here letting me experience the same tolerance and friendship you describe. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻 for the B&B community!

Looks like you also got a banana shaped top cap on your Ambassador. I got a replacement cap, but it was bent as well. It shaves well though, but i just keep wondering if it could be even better if the blade was better supported. Or is this by design??
Maybe i will try to straighten the spare top cap i now have and see if it makes a difference.
Thanks for sharing and enjoy your shaves:)
I think that is just the photo. The razor is fine. Great shaver! Thanks!

20200804_090307.jpg

Razor: Rex Supply Ambassador
Blade: Gillette Rubie Plus
Brush: Simpson Commodore X2 Best Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood
Aftershave: Gillette Series Cool Wave
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
Rating Ten. Great combo!
:c2:.

MdC fougere face lathered with BK4,
3 passes with GSB (11) in ATT CM1, and

+1- seeing what everyone is using, new things being tried, the sharing of our experiences, including just seeing how long a blade lasts, is indeed the fun. This thread has become daily reading for me, and during this pandemic year helped me have a sense of normalcy- well, as normal as a group of folks obsessed with shaving gear can be :001_smile . Minimalist or not it's fun to see what you're up to.

Proraso red pre-shave, shave soap, and aftershave.
Ralf Aust 5/8 hollow ground straight razor. My 2nd use and 3rd shave with a straight razor.

When I received the razor I used it as it arrived to see if it was truly shave ready. That first shave reminded me of when I'm shaving with a safety razor, and I think to myself, "OK, time for a new blade." I stropped it with chromium oxide then clean linen then leather, and it shaved much better. Between this and the vintage Mappin and Webb near wedge, so far (with only three shaves under my belt) I prefer the Mappin and Webb, because of "the feel" of the blade on my face.

I did only one WTG shave today. I think one WTG pass with this straight razor is closer than one WTG pass with the Gillette Super Speeds I have been using.

I'll give it 9/10 for a one pass shave and still being new at using a SR.

The Shave: This could be my last post. The BBS crowd may burn me at the stake because I float and only used WTG passes today.
“WTG Only” & “flexible 3 pass” folks are my only hope, LOL.
Three WTG passes for an amazingly comfortable shave. Being honest, it will be the closest/best shave I see today in professional and social circles. I just wanted to change it up and go easy, but I enjoyed the soap and brush, so I wanted to do three passes. Shave rating: Closeness 8/10, Comfort 10/10. If I stay hidden long enough for the “Smooth Skin Posse” to move on, I’ll post tomorrow’s results.

I found this funny and true! I needed a "recovery shave" today and have considered doing something like this. I decided to be a bit more aggressive because I can't help myself, but will keep this in mind for next time!

I put a Feather Proguard blade on use 7 in the Vector today to see if that would help me bounce back from a harsh shave yesterday with a Pro Super:

tempImage0AOFe6.jpg

I thought it fit the bill nicely. The blade had also been sitting in the medicine cabinet for a few weeks since it's last use, so I had it in my mind that it wasn't very fresh, but I have to admit it did very well.

Results: BBS on cheeks and jawline; DFS everywhere else, and comfortable. The shave closeness held nicely during the day as well. I didn't expect this good of a result from a guarded blade.

The Lemon Chill splash was a great post-rinse treat, but I still don't quite "get" the balm. I find it to be heavy, almost like sunscreen. This one's scent (Waves of Grain) is hard to put a finger on. "Pollen" was the first thing I thought of today. So yeah, not exactly planning on a bottle of this stuff soon...

Rating: 8.8/10

2/10
Finally encountered a defective blade. I hope the whole tuck is not like this.

Blade: Gilette Silver Blue, 2nd use.
It tugs on Sunday on my DE89 and tugs again today in the Henson Razor.

Cream: Palmolive classic (red tube)

This was all I use, didn't bother with anything else, I just wanted to run of the bathroom and toss the blade away...haha.
2 bad shaves in a row, usually grinds my gear.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Wednesday afternoon shave

Razor: Dovo Inox
Brush: Badger
Soap: Haslinger Sandalwood

A good shave, not great, but good. Dovo needs a refresh for starters. Hope the Sandalwood fragrance grows on me, first impression is...meh. I’ll take it as it comes today.
Happy Wednesday!
601D60B7-DE28-45DB-8171-A1EBABDE6B58.jpeg

8/10

- Brush: Zenith Manchurian
- Razor: Razorock Game Changer .84SB
- Blade: Gillette Goal! SS (2)
- Soap: Stirling Tangerine
- Aftershave: Stirling Tangerine
- Post Shave: Thayers Rose, Hyaluronic Acid

The GC .84 plate is amazing. It is aggressive but with a light touch it can be used every day. Great afternoon shave with a blade that is just “ok”. It excels with an Astra and Personna though.

I smell like tangerines but I like the 3oz Stirling soaps. Almost 6oz is just too much unless you love the scent.

My Zenith is really started to open up and soften. Such a great brush.

9/10
992A20EC-F2BD-4503-8ECB-6FCCAF9F2B74.jpeg

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
View attachment 1269179Wild West Brushworks / 26mm Elite Razor HMW
Zingari Man - The Gypsy
Rockwell 6S / R5
Voskhod

9/10: The vegan base does seem to be very soft. Not really an issue with 5oz of soap and a whole den full of stuff, but it’s worth noting.
View attachment 1269260
Razor: Timeless Aluminum (Timeless Ti TRH6 Handle)
Blade: Personna Israeli Platinum Red
Brush: Wild West Brushworks Invasion Handle (TNS 26mm Original BOSS Fan)
Lather: La Toja Stick
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal :001_wub:

Very nice shave! :cool:
Incredibly good looking brushes.

Today's shave

Preshave: Slock’s universal, certified soon to be internationally famous proprietary shaving oil blend.
Razor: Gillette prewar Tech with a Razorock bulldog handle
Blade: GSB
Soap: Widsor Dr Harris shaving cream
Brush: PAA Peregrino
Balm Stirling unscented balm
Aftershave: SV Manna Di Sicilia sample.

9, I think I like the heavier Razorock handle than the Gillette fat handle. I find I want to apply pressure with the Gillette handle.

Top Bottom