What's new

T1 or T2 for Face Lather?

I know the Simpson T3 will be too big. But I’m not sure between T1 or T2. My only brush just broke (EJ BB medium, 21mm knot and 53 mm loft). And I’m intrigued by these. But synthetic dimensions seem to be diifetent since they bloom less.

I face lather, and like to scrub/swirl more than paint when face lathering. And use almost only creams with a 4 pass shave every other day. Occacionally soap (face larger).

Last edited:
At first I had a hard time getting my T2 to splay but it’s opened up a little bit after a bit of use. I can splay it and get scrubby with it. I have no experience with the T1 but the T2 is a great brush. I do almost exclusively bowl lather though.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Trafalgar or Tulip? Both have T2 and T3

I'm figuring the synthetic.

The T2 is larger than what you are used to but it is a good size for face lathering with a synthetic knot. If you want a softer synthetic brush that splays more easily, you could try one of the PAA brushes, such as the Peregrino.

Last edited:
Sorry, yes Trafalgar, not Tulip. PAA?

Phoenix Shaving (aka Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements) has some really good synthetic brushes that work well for face lathering. Similar knot size to Trafalgar T2 but nicer to use. Here are the Amber Aerolite (L), Peregrino (M), Starcraft (R):

1621417537319.png
1621417710288.png
1621417785830.png

Face latherer.

I had an Omega Hi-Brush.

Ordered the T3. Very luxurious feel, splays well, embraces your face. But thought it was a bit big.

Ordered the T2. Paints more delicately than the T3, but splays less easily, from my experience.

After some back and forth, the T3 came out as my favorite for the splay and luxurious feel.

Just my my experience, though.

But both are really good.

Never used the T1.

Last edited:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
T1 and T2 basically feature the same knot and do have handles with slightly different dimensions. To me it's like putting the handles of a Duke 2 Vs Duke 3.

Since I prefer smaller handles, I like the Trafalgar T1 more.

I only own the T2, but find it a little larger than my preference. I generally prefer smaller knots, though. 22mm is probably my sweet spot, unless I want to lather my ears, which has not yet been a goal even though I do it often.

T1 and T2 basically feature the same knot and do have handles with slightly different dimensions. To me it's like putting the handles of a Duke 2 Vs Duke 3.

Since I prefer smaller handles, I like the Trafalgar T1 more.

As Marco said, the knot in the T1 and T2 are almost identical, so it just comes down to your preference in handle size. I bowl lather, but I have tried face lathering with both just to see how they would work. My T2 splays a little easier than my T1, but it's not a big difference.

I'd also get a PAA brush in that price range. If it has to be a Trafalgar then the t1 and t2 are only a 1mm difference in the knot according to maggard specs

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I think that you require all three of the Trafalgar brushes. I have the Trafalgar T1 and the Trafalgar T3. The only one that I have used is the T3. It is a big brush but it is a great brush.

Top Bottom