What's new

The Master Razor! Fred'k Dutcher & Sons St. Albans VT

I found this one in a thrift shop today amongst the usual Sheffield and Solingen labeled razors. It caught my eye not just because it was a local pharmacy brand, but because the shape of the spine seems a little unusual to me. There were a couple of other interesting razors including a big fat 8/8" smiling Wostenholm wedge with a broken scale, but this was the one that said "buy me"

The Master Razor Fred'K. Dutcher & Sons St. Albans VT by mattface, on Flickr

It's not cleaned up at all, but here's the high rez closeup of you want a better look at the etching

That blade has a really nice looking profile. I have an ERN Master which is what drew me to the thread but it's much different.

I don't have the same sense for the $ value of straight razors I do for safety razors, but my sense was her prices were OK, but not fantastic. I got this one for $12, which is a fine price because I want it for myself. I have a feeling the Wostenholm is worth picking up to flip, not so sure about the other 2. Chances are though I can sell them all on the BST for what I paid, plus a couple bucks for shipping and a couple bucks for myself. so maybe I will. Mainly I just liked this one because it was an odd duck. the Wostenholm would probably be super cool with new scales, but I don't see myself doing that.

That is a very nice looking straight. A very unusual profile indeed.

See I thought it was unusual, but I'm not that knowledgeable about straights. I just really liked the lines. I've been polishing it up a bit and attempting to make it shave ready with just a pasted linen strop. It's really not that far off, so it might work. even if it doesn't I'm really enjoying fondling it, and growing to love the elegant lines more and more by the stroke.

Does anyone know who might have actually MADE this razor? I assume there were companies that made razors and etched them with store brands.

Heuy I think I just stumbled across the actual maker of this razor!

Looks just like this pair of Joseph Rogers razors.
proxy.php

Hey I know I'm raising a zombie thread from the grave, but there is actually a very good reason!

I recently had someone contact me wanting to buy this razor, and as it happens I still own it, but the reason I still own it 10 years later is because I actually love it. It is my only straight, and I shave with it occasionally. I had my barber use it for my wedding shave. I love it for its unique shape and the novelty of it being from a Vermont Pharmacy, but that is why the guy who wants to buy it wants it as well. Apparently, he is a descendent of Frederick Dutcher and his sons.

So I'm inclined to consider selling it to him. I don't want to take advantage of him, but I also don't want to sell it for less than it's worth on the market, or less than it's worth to me either. So I know that's pretty tricky to estimate because it's so unique. The rarity of the imprint is only valuable if you have a connection to it, but the razor itself is also quite unique. So I'm wondering what folks think a fair market value would be to ask.

I think it is against forum rules to be asking or any one speculating value. Might want to search around on some of the auction sites if you want to get an idea.

I don't think this is a money issue. If this person is a descendent of the maker, I would simply give it to him or charge him the $12 I paid plus shipping. But you have to weigh that against the fact that this is your favorite razor and your wedding razor. So again I don't think this is a money issue. It's a question of wha this razor means to you and what it means to this other person.

I have searched around a bit. I can find a few similar shaped Joseph Rodgers & Sons "The Master Razor" examples out there, but the condition is all over the map, and I don't guess I'll ever see another with this particular pharmacy name inscribed on it. I have a broad idea of what it might be worth, but I'm still wrestling with what it's worth to me, and I know that's one question no one else can answer. I know it's probably worth more to him, but you're right it's not about the money, or I would have sold it years ago.

Honestly, when I saw the comment on one of my old Flickr posts I assumed the answer was going to be "Sorry dude I sold that ten years ago", but then I saw which one he was asking about. I've bought and sold many razors and some of them were quite expensive. I didn't keep this one because it was especially valuable or desirable, I kept it because I love it.

Top Bottom